Speculation: Possible 2017 Off Season moves

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
1) Expansion draft: Detroit sends Florida's 3rd(70OA) + Toronto's 3rd(79OA) to Vegas so that they pick Ericsson.

2) Jimmy Howard can be move to any number of teams with goaltender concerns. These would include, among others, Dallas, Winnipeg, Philly and Carolina. I am willing to retain a full 50% of Howards' salary/cap hit($2.65 mil.) because it frees up that same amount. I'd take draft picks/prospects in return although my preference would be a deal with the Jets. Something along the lines of Howard(with retention), 2017 1st., Ouellet and Saarijarvi for Trouba.

3) Although it may be more likely that Mike Green is moved at the trade deadline, it is possible that he might be moved in the off season. He could be very attractive to a team that just missed out in the run to the Cup(Semi final and final losers). Either way, he will net us at least a 1st.

4) Nyquist's NTC kicks in on July 1st., so if Holland wants to move him, it has to be by then. Could be a piece in the Trouba trade or as part of a deal with the Ducks for one of their dmen.

5) Re-sign UFA McIlrath and RFAs Tatar, AA, Ouellet, Russo and Frk.

6) With the exception of Karl Alzner, I have NO interest in any of the available UFs this summer. Personally, I don't want sign any player over the age of 30. So no to the likes of Vanek, Ott, Iginla, Jagr, Marleau and Thornton as they would take away ice time from our youngsters.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1) Expansion draft: Detroit sends Florida's 3rd(70OA) + Toronto's 3rd(79OA) to Vegas so that they pick Ericsson.

2) Jimmy Howard can be move to any number of teams with goaltender concerns. These would include, among others, Dallas, Winnipeg, Philly and Carolina. I am willing to retain a full 50% of Howards' salary/cap hit($2.65 mil.) because it frees up that same amount. I'd take draft picks/prospects in return although my preference would be a deal with the Jets. Something along the lines of Howard(with retention), 2017 1st., Ouellet and Saarijarvi for Trouba.

3) Although it may be more likely that Mike Green is moved at the trade deadline, it is possible that he might be moved in the off season. He could be very attractive to a team that just missed out in the run to the Cup(Semi final and final losers). Either way, he will net us at least a 1st.

4) Nyquist's NTC kicks in on July 1st., so if Holland wants to move him, it has to be by then. Could be a piece in the Trouba trade or as part of a deal with the Ducks for one of their dmen.

6) With the exception of Karl Alzner, I have NO interest in any of the available UFs this summer. Personally, I don't want sign any player over the age of 30. So no to the likes of Vanek, Ott, Iginla, Jagr, Marleau and Thornton as they would take away ice time from our youngsters.
I'm cool with all of this but there's no way the Jets accept that trade. Furthermore I'd rather keep our 2017 1st anyway just because I want a shot at a homerun.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ericsson was good last year, has just two years left and I think he ends up on LTIR pretty shortly. His body is breaking down. I'm more so hoping Vegas takes one of Abdelkader or Helm who have longer contracts at a higher AAV.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
1) Why give up that much to move E? Do we need the cap space for FA or something?
2) Jets would never take that trash. We should be looking to move Howard, if possible, though.
3) Agree, Green should be moved ASAP if we can get a 2018 first.
4) Nyquist doesn't touch Trouba, but I wouldn't mind picking up one of the Ducks leftover d-men. I have no idea how Manson and Montour and those guys are slotted, but I'd happily take any of them.
5) Why sign McIlrath? Just to waste a spot in GR?
6) I won't protest to signing any player to a one-year deal, who might have 3rd+ value at the deadline. But there isn't a single player who should be getting a multi-year deal from us. That said, I expect Vanek to get 3 years.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I want them to trade Green in the offseason assuming they can get a reasonable pick/return for him.

Next year needs to be a Top 5, realistically Top 3 pick. Getting rid of your best defencemen will help the cause and take away any uncertainty of losing him for nothing (say if they're scratching near the playoffs at the deadline next season or even worse, Green is injured and not sellable.)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If we're trading assets for Vegas to take someone I'd rather it be Abdelkader or Helm or Howard than Ericsson.

Also Vegas is going to have reach the cap floor so I wouldn't be surprised to see them making some NBA style trades after expansion draft.

A Wings example would be taking, say, Sheahan in the draft and then on top of it acquiring like Florida 3rd + Helm for some AHL scrub they took + 7th or something like that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we're looking to move Howard to Winny, just ask for Hutchinson back and call it a day. They get a goalie who can actually play the position (if he can stay healthy), we get some cap space and a guy we can swap out interchangeably with Coreau.

I don't like the post about us seeking trades for guys we can't protect because if we were protecting the guys we should protect, the ones that are left wouldn't have enough trade value to matter. Worries me who exactly Holland is looking at protecting.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
1. Not a single UFA will be brought in, why? cap space.. we have none. paying Vegas anything more than ONE 3rd rd pick to take Vegas is a waste of draft pick for a team devoid of talent

2. Not a single trade will be made for two reasons, a) we have noting to offer anyone that then betters us apart from our top 10 pick b) we are not trading that top 10 pick. No trading larkin or mantha for a vatanen or fowler level dmen isnt smart, its assine. No tatar or nyquist can not return a top 3 young dman, if they could have they would have already(its been explored without question)

3. we will resign all RFAs

4. Not a chance Howard can be traded, not when fleury and bishop are on the market as well

5. WE will expose helm, abby, howard, ericsson, glendening but it wont matter as Vegas will take sheahan or ouellet or jensen instead

this is why I said their isnt a thing KH can do this summer to better(or ruin) this team and further

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005

Assessing your post this is what it adds up to...

You've traded / moved out...

Ericsson
Howard
Nyquist
Green
Saarijarvi
2017 1st (7th?)
2017 70th
2017 79th

In exchange for...

Trouba
2017/18? 1st round pick

For next year you've removed 17.65 million in salary cap. You've added 2.8 for Trouba. Youve saved the Illitches 14.65 million. But as a fan I don't really care because you don't have a plan to spend it.

Anyway. Good post. Mapping out a plan is certainly better than most threads.

Edit - oh. I took the liberties of adding nyquist to the trouba deal and removing Ouellet from it as that's the feedback from the thread, sort of.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Assessing your post this is what it adds up to...

You've traded / moved out...

Ericsson
Howard
Nyquist
Green
Saarijarvi
2017 1st (7th?)
2017 70th
2017 79th

In exchange for...

Trouba
2017/18? 1st round pick

For next year you've removed 17.65 million in salary cap. You've added 2.8 for Trouba. Youve saved the Illitches 14.65 million. But as a fan I don't really care because you don't have a plan to spend it.

Pretty much all of this.

I'll add in:
Prioritize getting rid of your #1 goalie and your #1 defenseman because they aren't 25 and you need cap space because reasons. HFBoards in a nutshell.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
At this point, I think I'd prefer that Detroit did absolutely nothing this off season.

If returning to the playoffs is his top priority, then I'm expecting that any moves Holland makes heading into next year will likely just hamstring his eventual replacement more than anything else.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think the plan after the cap space is found is to use it as leverage for a trade with someone who wants to lose some cap of their own, or to position ourselves for next summer when Fowler, Taveras, and Evander Kane could be headlining the ufa class.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Worries me who exactly Holland is looking at protecting.

I had the exact same thought. If the guys exposed have trade value... Maybe don't expose them?

Hopefully it's just Helm and/or Sheahan. I could see getting something small back for them.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Ericsson was good last year, has just two years left and I think he ends up on LTIR pretty shortly. His body is breaking down. I'm more so hoping Vegas takes one of Abdelkader or Helm who have longer contracts at a higher AAV.

unfortunately ericsson has 3 years left.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I have no faith in Holland doing anything right!! We will lose what serviceable young players we have in favor of keeping old broken players. No one will take Jimmy's bad contract. He will clear cap space to bring Vanek back. The Trash and Ass connection will run AA and Mantha out of town.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He'll explore trades for guys they aren't protecting? Am I missing something? Detroit has one of the worst rosters in the league when it comes to the Expansion Draft. Whoever we leave unprotected is going to have poor value and no team acquiring them is going to pay much if they have to protect them or leave them exposed themselves.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Will be interesting to see what moves are made after Hollands comments about turning things around during the summer. He has no cap flexibility and minimal trade assets. No clue what this guy is planning.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Will be interesting to see what moves are made after Hollands comments about turning things around during the summer. He has no cap flexibility and minimal trade assets. No clue what this guy is planning.

My prediction is he unloads a goalie to free up cap space, and looks to sign Jagr and Wideman on the cheap. That has all the Holland fingerprints on it.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005

How much cap space do you figure we'll have after the expansion draft?

And as for tradeable assets im pretty sure we have a **** ton of picks in the next 2 drafts plus a good supply of good young talent. Problem is we don't want to give up what other teams want, same as every other team in the league.

Considering we just missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years we're in pretty damn good shape.

Step down or off the ledge would be my recommendation.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
My prediction is he unloads a goalie to free up cap space, and looks to sign Jagr and Wideman on the cheap. That has all the Holland fingerprints on it.

And flipping them at the deadline wouldn't be all that bad of an option.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Considering we just missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years we're in pretty damn good shape.

Step down or off the ledge would be my recommendation.

Nobody is on a ledge. It's not that dramatic.

But people who follow sports see a long, slow build coming. And it sucks, not because we're going to jump off cliffs, but because the ensuing entertainment product is probably going to be hard to watch.

It would be more entertaining to most of us is the franchise made an honest assessment of their failures and rebuilt the team in earnest, as Toronto did upon the arrival of Lou and Babcock. "There will be pain" is absolutely ok if you believe in the vision laid out.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I think the plan after the cap space is found is to use it as leverage for a trade with someone who wants to lose some cap of their own, or to position ourselves for next summer when Fowler, Taveras, and Evander Kane could be headlining the ufa class.

Ok. That makes sense. I agree we do need to hit on a big UFA at some point to help turn things around. And having the space required for one is key.

Looking back, he had the space for Suter and Parise. He made the space for Stamkos. He got Green. He got Neilson. He'll make the space for Shattenkirk this year but lose out on him. I can't think of anyone he didn't have the space for. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that front.

Regarding keeping 5-10 mil for other teams bad contracts, yeah I guess that's an option. But stacking your team with more **** for a couple middle round picks... blah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad