Possible 2010 Canada Team

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think one thing we need to look at is going back to the formula of 2002. That team had the two strong scoring lines that were able to consistently produce offece. Then we had seven forwards - Lindros, Shanahan, Nolan, Peca, Smyth, Fleury and Nieuwendyk - who were interchangable, but all contributed in multiple facets and were strong on the forecheck.

Come 2010, that might be the recipe for success. Strong scoring lines anchored by Crosby and Spezza. (With Staal on the wing). A physical checking line. (Think Horton, Morrow and, if he regains his physical nature, Thornton). And then a strong checking line, anchored by Mike Richards. Leadership should also play more of a factor in choosing this team. There were so many strong locker room presences, and so many guys capable of carrying the team on their back. That wasn't there this year.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Since the games are being held in Vancouver, will they still be using big ice??? I'd lean more towards size on small ice and speed for big ice.

One thing I've noticed, is that Canada seems to have a lot more young stars who player center as opposed to wing. Thornton, Crosby, Staal, Spezza, Bergeron, B. Richards, M. Richards, Lecavalier, and Marleau are all natural centers.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Oilerfan120582 said:
Since the games are being held in Vancouver, will they still be using big ice??? I'd lean more towards size on small ice and speed for big ice.

One thing I've noticed, is that Canada seems to have a lot more young stars who player center as opposed to wing. Thornton, Crosby, Staal, Spezza, Bergeron, B. Richards, M. Richards, Lecavalier, and Marleau are all natural centers.
That's the way it's been for years. In fact, Tanguay and Gagne both played centre in junior, but were shifted to the wing once they reached the show. Jeff Carter and Mike Cammelleri are more recent examples of that. On a broader scale, Marian Hossa was a centre when he was drafted, too.

I'd guess nearly half of the forwards in today's NHL were drafted as centres. It's much easier to shift a player from centre to wing than vice versa. Vincent Damphousse is one of the few players that come to mind who made a successful, consistent and permanent shift from wing to centre.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
shawn_kemp said:
seriously guys, drop Lecavalier.

he sucks on the big ice. he sucked in Russia last year, and he sucked now. just forget him.

Seriously dude...the 2010 games are in Vancouver and will be on the NHL size rink. Lecavilier will be a very valuable player on that ice, as he was in winning World Cup MVP.

joe sacco

Sep 30, 2005
Potential Candidates:
Anaheim
Joffrey Lupul - RW
Scott Niedermayer - D
Ryan Getzlaf - C
Corey Perry - RW

Atlanta
Marc Savard - C
Braydon Coburn - D

Boston
Patrice Bergeron - C
Brad Boyes - C
Brad Stuart - D
Nick Boynton - D

Buffalo
Brian Campbell - D
Daniel Briere - C

Calgary
Jarome Iginla - RW
Dion Phaneuf - D
Robyn Regehr - D

Carolina
Eric Staal - C
Justin Williams - RW
Andrew Ladd - LW

Chicago
Kyle Calder - LW
Mark Bell - LW
Brent Seabrook - D
Cam Barker - D

Colorado
Alex Tanguay - LW
Joe Sakic - C
Rob Blake - D

Columbus
Rick Nash - LW
Adam Foote - D
Gilbert Brule - C
Marc Denis - G

Dallas
Brenden Morrow - LW
Marty Turco - G

Detroit
Jason Williams - C

Edmonton
Shawn Horcoff - C
Jarret Stoll - C
Chris Pronger - D
Ryan Smyth - LW
Marc-Andre Beregeron - D
Mike Peca - C

Florida
Nathan Horton - RW
Jay Bouwmeester - D
Mike Van Ryn - D
Roberto Luongo - G

Los Angeles
Mike Cammalleri - C

Minnesota
Pierre-Marc Bouchard - C

Montreal
Michael Ryder - RW
Jose Theodore - G

Nashville
Paul Kariya - LW
Steve Sullivan - RW
Scott Hartnell - LW
Dan Hamhuis - D
David Legwand - C

New Jersey
Martin Brodeur - G

Ottawa
Jason Spezza - C
Dany Heatley - LW
Wade Redden - D
Mike Fisher - C
Chris Phillips - D

Philadelphia
Simon Gagne - LW
Mike Richards - C
Jeff Carter - C

Phoenix
Shane Doan - RW

Pittsburgh
Sidney Crosby - C
Marc-Andre Fleury - G

San Jose
Joe Thornton - C
Patrick Marleau - C
Jonathan Cheecho - RW
Alyn McCauley - C
Scott Hannan - D

St. Louis
Eric Brewer - D
Barret Jackman - D

Tampa Bay
Brad Richards - C
Vincent Lecavalier - C
Martin St. Louis - RW
Dan Boyle - D

Toronto
Bryan McCabe - D

Vancouver
Todd Bertuzzi - RW
Ed Jovanovski - D
Brendan Morrison - C
Bryan Allen - D

Prospects
Marc Staal - D
Luc Bourdon - D
Shea Weber - D
Benoit Pouliot - LW
Eric Fehr - RW

Here's how I'd like it to go:

Forwards:
Eric Staal
Joe Sakic
Jason Spezza
Sidney Crosby
Joe Thornton
Brad Richards
Alex Tanguay
Rick Nash
Paul Kariya
Dany Heatley
Simon Gagne
Shane Doan
Jarome Iginla
extra: Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrice Bergeron, Vinny Lecavalier, Patrick Marleau,
Martin St. Louis

Defense:
Scott Niedermayer
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Pronger
Jay Bouwmeester
Wade Redden
Ed Jovanovski
Scott Hannan
extra: Nick Boynton, Brent Seabrook

Goalies:
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur (backup)
Marc-Andre Fleury

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Captain_Cunney said:
Seriously dude...the 2010 games are in Vancouver and will be on the NHL size rink. Lecavilier will be a very valuable player on that ice, as he was in winning World Cup MVP.

From the official Vancouver 2010 website:

Venue Description
Ice Hockey will be staged in two venues - General Motors Place and the UBC Winter Sports Centre. General Motors Place is located on a rapid transit line in downtown Vancouver.

Construction Update
A structural engineering report of General Motors Place has been completed to address the issue of enlargement of the ice sheet to international-size ice. Additional engineering studies will determine building modifications that will be necessary to meet Olympic Games requirements. The construction process is scheduled to begin April 2007, with completion by August 2008. Construction activities at General Motors Place will be timed to minimize any disruption to regular activities in the building.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I'll give this a shot...

Gagne-Crosby-Iginla
Heatley-Spezza-Nash
Staal-Thornton-B. Richards
Smyth-Stoll/M. Richards-Doan

Extras: Lecavalier, Bergeron

I think the checking line centre will be one of Jarret Stoll or Mike Richards, both are good defensively, good leaders and are still young. I'd love to see one of them make the team in 2010 although I'm sure Stoll may not be a popular name to throw in there for some.

Niedermayer-Phaneuf
Redden-Pronger
Bouwmeester-Jovanovski

Extra: Hamhuis

The defence doesn't look as good as this year's although we will hopefully take more mobile guys if it's going to be on the big ice.

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

It should be only a matter of time until Luongo becomes Canada's #1, although Brodeur was fantastic in Turin. I'd be very surprised if Luongo wasn't the starter in Vancouver.

Habsruleen

Jul 28, 2005
MXD said:
It's early to call, but a 22YO Luc Bourdon could very well make the team...

And if he doesn't, it'll be like omitting Phaneuf all over again for Mr. McGuire...be ready.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
Travis Zajac is also Canadian. He is predicted to be a two way player. If he turns out to be a good NHL player with the devils maybe the Canadians could use him on their Olympic team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
therealdeal said:
Maybe thats why that team was so crappy as well, but he definetly shouldn't get another chance.

So crappy that they lost in the finals. Keep em coming though buddy. Your on fire!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
jd84 said:
Travis Zajac is also Canadian. He is predicted to be a two way player. If he turns out to be a good NHL player with the devils maybe the Canadians could use him on their Olympic team.
Travis Zajac will never be a player for Canada in a best-on-best. He's a good, solid, two-way second line centre, but he's not the type who's going to be one of our best scorers or defensive players. A lot to like about him, though.

Luc Bourdon has a great future in front of him, the best defenceman to come out of Quebec in well over a decade. But to expect him to be on our team in 2010, he won't be ready. We've also produced some pretty good defencemen over the last few years who will be more ready for the Olympics. M. Staal will also be more ready for that level.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
bert said:
So crappy that they lost in the finals. Keep em coming though buddy. Your on fire!

That team got **** *** lucky, that team was probably worse than the Olympic one but they just had a hot line, take away that one line and we're getting shut out most games just like in the Olympics.

Redden was a liability everytime he was on the ice.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
richards, lecavalier and st. louis were probably our best forwards in the tournament. why are they getting ragged on???

this coming from a canucks fan, i don't really have a bias on the matter.

lecavalier and st. louis together with smyth were probably the most consistent line.

i'd be SHOCKED if lecavalier's not on the team...

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
I was wondering the same.. who has better younger (23 and under) player russia or canada.

Vic Rattlehead*

joe sacco said:
Defense:
Scott Niedermayer
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Pronger
Jay Bouwmeester
Wade Redden
Ed Jovanovski
Scott Hannan
extra: Nick Boynton, Brent Seabrook

One defenceman who doesn't get respect when naming possible players for Canada is Brad Stuart. He has been nothing short of amazing in Boston, and is already a better defenceman than Boynton. It wouldn't surprise me if Canada takes a long hard look at Stuart.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
deathbear said:
richards, lecavalier and st. louis were probably our best forwards in the tournament. why are they getting ragged on???

this coming from a canucks fan, i don't really have a bias on the matter.

lecavalier and st. louis together with smyth were probably the most consistent line.

i'd be SHOCKED if lecavalier's not on the team...
Best for team Canada... thats not saying much since they had only a few guys with 3 or more points.

Maria

Sep 15, 2004
If you are going to drop Vinny and Marty, then drop Iginla and Thornton, at least the Tampa guys tried to do something!!!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
therealdeal said:
That team got **** *** lucky, that team was probably worse than the Olympic one but they just had a hot line, take away that one line and we're getting shut out most games just like in the Olympics.

Redden was a liability everytime he was on the ice.
It has come out that Redden played the entire tournament with a groin injury. Doens't make up for how bad he played, but it certainly is a reason.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Gagne (A) Thornton Iginla
Nash Spezza Heatley
Tanguay Staal Crosby
Doan Lecavalier Richards (A)

ex. Horton

Phaneuf Redden
Jovanovski Bouwmeester
Regehr Neidermeyer (C)

ex. Pronger

Luongo
Turco
MAF

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Team Canada should probably build a team like the Buffalo Sabres, emphasizing energy, speed and hard work. I think we should leave the powerforwards and the slow blueliners at home as they don't fit into international hockey at all. That said, we should probably leave guys like Thornton, Pronger, Doan and Smyth out. The latter two are good players, but I don't think they really give the team the kind of ingredients needed to play a proper international game.

Guys like Kariya, Mike Richards, Cheechoo, Justin Williams and Gilbert Brule would be good speedy guys we could look at filling some of the positions on the wing. Mike Fisher should be on the team or get some considerations, as well as Antoine Vermette. Crosby and Staal should definitely make it. Spezza might be okay too, though he might be slow and ineffective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad