Possible 2010 Canada Team

future consideration

Mar 8, 2003
Niagara Falls, NY
Visit site
Jus thought it might be fun to speculate at who might be on the team in '10. Here's my lineup:

Gagne Crosby Iginla
Nash Spezza Heatly
Tanguay Staal Richards
Smyth Lecavlier Morrow

ex. Thorton, Doan

Phanuef Redden
Jovonoski Bouwmeister
Regher Neidemeyer

ex. Seabrooke Boyle

Luongo
Turco
MAF

I think it has a nice mixture of veterans and new talents.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
future consideration said:
Jus thought it might be fun to speculate at who might be on the team in '10. Here's my lineup:

Gagne Crosby Iginla
Nash Spezza Heatly
Tanguay Staal Richards
Smyth Lecavlier Morrow

ex. Thorton, Doan

Phanuef Redden
Jovonoski Bouwmeister
Regher Neidemeyer

ex. Seabrooke Boyle

Luongo
Turco
MAF

You're from the ROC, aren't you?

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Obviously its wayyyy to early to tell, but I would definatley like to see crosby on that team, but then again, I believe he shoulda been on this years team

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
future consideration said:

Gagne Crosby Iginla
Nash Spezza Heatly
Tanguay Staal Richards
Smyth Lecavlier Morrow

ex. Thorton, Doan

Phanuef Redden
Jovonoski Bouwmeister
Regher Neidemeyer

ex. Seabrooke Boyle

Luongo
Turco
MAF

Remove Smyth, Iggie and Morrow.

Be on the lookout for John Tavavres. 15 year old who has over 30 goals playing for the Oshawa Generals.

Also I would add Mike Richards and Patrice Bergeron up front.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Lecavalier will have no place on my team. Spezza and Crosby will be better than him in 4 years and the Vincent hype machine can take a rest.

Here's my 2010 prediction:

Gagne- Crosby- Iginla
Heatley- Spezza- P. Bergeron
Staal- Thornton- Cheechoo
Nash- Fisher- B. Richards
P. Marleau

Phaneuf - Niedermayer
Jovonovski - Bouwmeester
Seabrook - Brewer
Regehr

Luongo
Fleury
C. Ward

Millhouse

Dec 19, 2002
Visit site
The 2010 olympic gold medal winning team will be the 2005 world junior gold medal team. No way will the Maple Leaf not fly high in Vancouver

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
davey999 said:
Remove Smyth, Iggie and Morrow.

Be on the lookout for John Tavavres. 15 year old who has over 30 goals playing for the Oshawa Generals.

Also I would add Mike Richards and Patrice Bergeron up front.

in 2010 he'll be 19, most likely won't even be considered if Crosby wasn't even on the taxi squad

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
go kim johnsson 514 said:
in 2010 he'll be 19, most likely won't even be considered if Crosby wasn't even on the taxi squad

Yes, lets eliminate him right here and now. Let other nations make those kind of mistakes. Never send a boy to do a man's job.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If they can remain at their current level of play, I'd definitely bring back five players selected to this year's main team: Sakic, Smyth, Niedermayer, Brodeur and Luongo. Sakic is still one of the best centres in the game, and he'll be 41 when Vancouver rolls around, but if he can still contribute in some way, I'd pick him as at least the 13th forward or a Taxi Squad guy. This team lacked leaders, and we can't afford to lose any more good leaders. Smyth was one of the few things that went right with this team. I really feel bad for him, because you could see he really wanted to win. He'll be 34 in 2010, but should still be playing at a pretty high level. Niedermayer and Brodeur will be in their late 30s. Niedermayer is still one of the best in the business, and as long as he retains his speed and smarts, will be very valuable for Canada. Brodeur was far from the problem. He'll still be thriving. Luongo has shown he can handle clutch situations for Canada before.

We had a much younger roster than 2002. The problem is the guys we needed to step up, those drafted between 1995 and 2000, did not. Doan's the only one I was satisfied with, and he's far from a lock to come back. IMO, Iginla, Thornton, Gagne, Richards, Lecavalier and Heatley all need to show me something between now and 2010 to be brought back. Same thing with defence. Redden went from one of the best defencemen at last year's Worlds to a liability. He needs to do something to be brought back.

Barring a major regression in their development, Staal and Crosby will be on Canada in 2010. They'll both be top 5 or 10 players in the league. Nash will be at his peak by then and likely back, too. Spezza will have hopefully developed some kind of a work ethic and winning attitude. Some of our vaunted 1985-born players - Bergeron and M. Richards and maybe even Carter or Horton - could be on this team. Guys who will be 30-ish in 2010 who weren't on this team - Marleau, Morrow and Tanguay come to mind - might also be there. And the players on this year's team between the ages of 25 and 30 who did disappoint could find their way back onto the team, but they won't be guaranteed spaces. Esposito and Tavares would be wildcards. (Espo will be the same age in 2010 as Staal is now. Tavares missed being eligible for the 2008 draft by just a week).

On defence, as stated before, if Niedermayer's still at the top of his game, he deserves one more tournament. If Pronger is healthy (that foot injury really hampered him) and still among the top five in the game, he'll be back. Boyle will be 34 by then, so we'll see how he holds up. He hasn't played a ton of NHL hockey yet, so he doesn't have as much wear and tear as some other 30-year-olds. Phaneuf will be a lock. Bouwmeester will likely be a lock. Again, a couple of our 1985-born defencemen - Weber and Seabrooke - if they hit a big leap in their development, could be there. Hamhuis and Stuart, with continued improvements, will get a long look. Even a guy like Brewer, who has always been brilliant for Canada, if he regains his form, could be there. Don't rule out Redden or Regehr. Derek Morris would need to regain his 2002-03 form, and then build on that, to gain consideration.

Brodeur and Luongo have earned the chance to come back. That leaves a very large glut of goalies battling it out for the No. 3 spot, including some very impressive 1984-born netminders.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Yes, I'm bored enough to participate in this ;)

Bergeron Crosby Heatley
Tanguay Spezza Iginla
Nash Staal Morrow
Marleau Lecavalier Horton

Bench: Doan, M. Richards/B. Richards (dependent on Mike's progression)

Phanuef Bouwmeester
Redden Regehr
B. Stuart Hamhuis

Bench: ? (too many possible candidates)

Luongo
Turco
MA Fleury

shawn_kemp*

seriously guys, drop Lecavalier.

he sucks on the big ice. he sucked in Russia last year, and he sucked now. just forget him.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
What I would like to see is:

Gagne - Crosby - Staal
Nash - Spezza - Heatly
P. Bergeron - Thorton - Iginla
Smyth - Lecavlier - B. Richards

Taxi: Lupul, Horton

Pronger - Phaneuf
Neidermeyer - Brewer
Bouwmeester - Staal

Taxi: Redden, Jovanoski

Luongo
Turco
MAF

The reason I like this is because it combines youth and experience. On defense we have young guys paired with older guys, on forward we have gritty players that are play with HEART, also veteran leadership on each line. Snipers in each line and play makers. I may be missing a name or two because I just went off the top if my head but I think this team could win.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hemsky4PM said:
Lecavalier will have no place on my team. Spezza and Crosby will be better than him in 4 years and the Vincent hype machine can take a rest.

Here's my 2010 prediction:

Gagne- Crosby- Iginla
Heatley- Spezza- P. Bergeron
Staal- Thornton- Cheechoo
Nash- Fisher- B. Richards
P. Marleau

Phaneuf - Niedermayer
Jovonovski - Bouwmeester
Seabrook - Brewer
Regehr

Luongo
Fleury
C. Ward

But you have Thornton on the team. And you dont want Lecavalier I find that pretty odd. Vinny was much better and he is younger.

I dont know how you can have Brewer on the team over Redden, you might not be happy with how he played but he is better then Eric Brewer.

I am kindof upset with how Redden is getting ripped and Foote is getting off scott free. He hung Redden out to dry ALOT he has lost a step and it was brutally obvious. He was unable to make a defensive switch if his life had depended on it. While Redden had to chase everyone around the ice because he kept losing his man. Foote couldnt make a D to D pass or anything that looked like a breakout to his forwards instead he just waited and dumped it off more often then not to an oncoming forchecker on Redden. Then Redden looks like the bad guy when he is trying to actually make a pass with a guy right on him. Redden was one of the only defenseman that actually broke the team out watch the tapes all the other guys just chipped or flipped it.

Now Redden did not play like he can but atleast he tried to be some what creative on the breakout.

I think the real prolblem with the defensive zone coverage was that they were not instructed to pressure the puck and forcer turnovers. They played a collapsing box something that works very well on the nhl ice surface but not with the big ice. The leafs play a collapsing box btw. I wonder who instituted that idea.

Last edited:

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Just off the top of my head, and because our depth is insane, a few people I would think may be in the mix by 2010 that haven't been discussed thus far, depending entirely on their development (or progression/regression) in the next four years:

Jeff Carter
Shawn Belle
Martin Biron
Marc Denis
Pascal Leclaire
Jose Theodore

I think goaltending is a potential question for 2010. We have lots of goaltenders, but with expiring contracts for Luongo, Turco, Theodore, Biron, Denis, etc. it will be interesting if switching teams affects any of their chances. In any event, I'm looking forward to the traditional Canadian hype/cynicism leading to 2010!

4th_Liner

Oct 2, 2005
bert said:
I dont know how you can have Brewer on the team over Redden, you might not be happy with how he played but he is better then Eric Brewer.
cause brewer played wayyyy better than redden at the olympics?..
I am kindof upset with how Redden is getting ripped and Foote is getting off scott free. He hung Redden out to dry ALOT he has lost a step and it was brutally obvious. He was unable to make a defensive switch if his life had depended on it. While Redden had to chase everyone around the ice because he kept losing his man. Foote couldnt make a D to D pass or anything that looked like a breakout to his forwards instead he just waited and dumped it off more often then not to an oncoming forchecker on Redden. Then Redden looks like the bad guy when he is trying to actually make a pass with a guy right on him. Redden was one of the only defenseman that actually broke the team out watch the tapes all the other guys just chipped or flipped it.
Now Redden did not play like he can but atleast he tried to be some what creative on the breakout.
redden sucked.. all those excuses about how foote's a career ahler is just what they are.. excuses.. the guy choked..

I think the real prolblem with the defensive zone coverage was that they were not instructed to pressure the puck and forcer turnovers. They played a collapsing box something that works very well on the nhl ice surface but not with the big ice. The leafs play a collapsing box btw. I wonder who instituted that idea.[/QUOTE]

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow that was insightfull 4th liner I mean you even managed to correctly quote my entire post....... nope nope wait a second. You didnt.

Brewers 8 minutes of icetime compared to Reddens 22 good comparison. How about the way the rest of the team played in Salt Lake? Another great comparison.

When did I call foote a career AHLer?

I stated in my post that Redden didnt play well.

How about you come back with some kindof educated argument next time.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Redden won't be back, he was awful at the World Championships and even worse at the Olympics, he lost his chance just like Marleau lost his chance when he sucked at the World Cup and at the World Championships.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
therealdeal said:
Redden won't be back, he was awful at the World Championships and even worse at the Olympics, he lost his chance just like Marleau lost his chance when he sucked at the World Cup and at the World Championships.

He was the number one D man at the World Championships. He was a first team all star and led the defense in points on team canada.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
bert said:
He was the number one D man at the World Championships. He was a first team all star and led the defense in points on team canada.

Maybe thats why that team was so crappy as well, but he definetly shouldn't get another chance.

iggysback05

Aug 14, 2005
I included the ages of the players in 2010. The average age for a forward would be 29 years old...prime age for most players. These forward lines would have a great mix of youth, prime age players and veterans. The average defenseman would be 30 with again a great mix.

I know that you could bring a couple of the kids, Perry, Richards, Carter along but time will tell where they're at when the olympics roll around again. Corey Perry looks like he might be one helluva hockey player by 2010. Let's hope that the boys don't pick this team until we get there, looks like we picked this years team based on past performances and who should have been the best in the NHL. Not the guys that actually are the best in the NHL.

Nash(26) - Thornton(31) - Staal(26) (Big physical line)

Iginla(33) - Crosby(23) - Gagne(30) (league best playmaker and two snipers)

Heatley(29) - Spezza(27) - Bergeron(25) (creative offensive trio)

Richards (30) - Lecavalier (30) - Smyth/Doan (34/34) (shut-down line with offense)

13th Forward - Smyth/Doan (34/34)

Pronger(36) - Phaneuf(24)

Bouwmeester(27) - Regehr(30)

Hannan(31) - Brewer(31)

Jovanovski(34)

Goalies - Luongo(31), Fleury(26), Theodore(34)

Taxi Squad - Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Jeff Carter

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's early to call, but a 22YO Luc Bourdon could very well make the team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad