LeBrun: Possibility of a top 4 RHD with term to Tampa?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I feel like I have to explain this every week.

When LeBrun or Friedman write that they 'woudn't be surprised', theyve heard something. It just means they arent willing to say who told them or how likely. It is NOT pure speculation, it is likely that they know the team is considering it internally or they've heard actual trade talks but don't wish to go on the record with it. If you read LeBrun or Friedman regularly, they specify when they are purely speculating. If they go with the 'wouldn't be surprised' language, thats code for a rumour is out there.

It's also because of they announced the thing was going to happen, people would jump on them if it didn't happen. Guess what though, not every rumour comes to fruition.
Yeah, but if I accepted this common sense into my life, I wouldn't be able to post in any of these threads with "THESE GUYZ GET PAYED TO DO DIS!!!! THEY'RE NO DIFFERENT THEN HF BORED POSTURZ"

Reactions: MC2D

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Could see you Foote being on the table for Manson?

I could not. Too much money, not enough term, and frankly not a good enough player to be worth the loss of Cirelli, which is what Manson’s salary would cost us. That’s before we even get into the loss of Foote, who is just the sort of cost-controlled player we so desperately need going forward.

People need to understand that our old core is Stamkos and Hedman, our “in-between” core is Kucherov and Vasilevskiy, and our young core is Point, Serg, and Cirelli. We may be forced by the cap (and the bad decisions made by Yzerman and BriseBois) to move one of Serg or Cirelli in the summer, but aside from that none of the players I mentioned above will be available. Foote is also almost certainly unavailable as we need his cheap salary next season, and Cernak’s low price-to-performance ratio also makes him highly unlikely to be moved (unless it’s in the summer to keep both Serg and Cirelli.)

And if we are forced to trade Serg or Cirelli (most likely Cirelli unless Serg’s salary demands are completely unreasonable) it will be for one or more young ELC players/prospects, not a costly veteran or someone with only a year or two left before he hits free agency.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If Tampa I don't trade Foote for Petry straight up. Petry key skill is pp and Hedman and Shattenkirk are just fine there. 1 and young roster player um maybe but Foote is just lol.

"Petry key skill is PP" :thinking:

If we trade Petry it'll be a fleece job. The RHD market is basically him and Vatanen (Vatanen is nowhere near the player Petry is) and if MB doesn't get the return he wants we'll just hang onto him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Didn’t he get 130. 100 this year is still great.

He got 128 and is pacing for 95. 33 point drop.

It was obviously in jest.....unless of course you want to consider it. In which case I'll pm you Bergevins phone# and help Petry pack his bags for Tampa asap.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
This Sharks fans says HELL YES
Almost impossible to move players over 28 years old( for fair-ish value) on these boards

Which is one of many reasons why it won’t happen. Add length of contract and the fact that we would need 50% retention to even begin to afford it to the list, along with the fact that the last thing we need is another offensive defenseman, that it would shorten our window, etc.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Which is one of many reasons why it won’t happen. Add length of contract and the fact that we would need 50% retention to even begin to afford it to the list, along with the fact that the last thing we need is another offensive defenseman, that it would shorten our window, etc.
That's fine. The only reason I piped in here is because all the talk of EK wanting to go to Tampa in the first place.
I'm pretty sure he's not going to be going anywhere too soon

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Let’s also remember that in the past just about everybody was certain that we were going to trade for Ceci. Then it was Faulk, then Martinez, then Risto. None of those trades ever happened, for just the sort of reasons I’ve mentioned in this thread and others. Our need for a top four RHD has been drastically overstated for years, and in reality at this point it’s probably at the lowest it has ever been.

That’s not to say that we won’t bring in a RHD at the deadline, but if we do it’s likely to be a cheap Coburn-type veteran who is either a rental or has a year remaining and will be easily flippable in the summer (alternatively we could keep the new acquisition and move Coby.) In short the acquisition cost, salary, and term will all be significantly less than what people in this thread are suggesting.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If we trade Petry it'll be a fleece job. The RHD market is basically him and Vatanen (Vatanen is nowhere near the player Petry is) and if MB doesn't get the return he wants we'll just hang onto him.

And when’s the last time the Lightning were fleeced in a trade? Yzerman and BriseBois made all sorts of stupid decisions with regard to contracts but their trades have almost all been wins. Just another reason it won’t happen unless it’s for cheap and either with significant retention or with Gourde going back the other way.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
That's fine. The only reason I piped in here is because all the talk of EK wanting to go to Tampa in the first place.
I'm pretty sure he's not going to be going anywhere too soon

Yeah, it’s fun to think about in an unrealistic video game sort of way but it just isn’t practical in a cap world.

Reactions: Groo

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Let’s also remember that in the past just about everybody was certain that we were going to trade for Ceci. Then it was Faulk, then Martinez, then Risto. None of those trades ever happens, for just the sort of reasons I’ve mentioned in this thread and others. Our need for a top four RHD has been drastically overstated for years, and in reality at this point it’s probably at the lowest it has ever been.

That’s not to say that we won’t bring in a RHD at the deadline, but if we do it’s likely to be a cheap Coburn-type veteran who is either a rental or has a year remaining and will be easily flippable in the summer (alternatively we could keep the new acquisition and move Coby.) In short the acquisition cost, salary, and term will all be significantly less than what people in this thread are suggesting.

In the context of the OP and your comment, what would you think about Alec Martinez for Tampa's late first? Straight across, no roster player moves from Tampa. Martinez fits in the top 4 role as a two-way defenseman and can play either left or right. Or, the Kings can retain 35% ($2.6 million cap hit) and add in a non-roster prospect allowing Tampa to protect their top two.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Oh, I actually thought you were joking!

You really think Jan Rutta is a top 4 caliber D-man?

Rutta is obviously not a top 4 caliber D-man. That said he’s actually been reasonably effective opposite Hedman, and while an upgrade would of course be nice we’re limited both by the amount of salary we can afford to take on and (given both the full NTCs we’ve handed out as well as our expected losses in the summer and the corresponding need for cheap NHL-ready prospects with which to replace them) the sort of pieces we can afford to pay.

Plus there’s the fact that we often roll 11/7 and mix up the pairings based on game situations, so when the playoffs come around we aren’t going to see Rutta playing big minutes anyway. Even now, while ostensibly playing on our top pairing, he’s actually sixth in the D-corps in terms of ice time, with a wide margin separating him from the fifth spot. Which is why our depth charts don’t really tell you anything, and why upgrading from Rutta is not a major concern for us.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
In the context of the OP and your comment, what would you think about Alec Martinez for Tampa's late first? Straight across, no roster player moves from Tampa. Martinez fits in the top 4 role as a two-way defenseman and can play either left or right. Or, the Kings can retain 35% ($2.6 million cap hit) and add in a non-roster prospect allowing Tampa to protect their top two.

Nothing against Martinez as a player, but he’s simply too expensive for us to afford capwise and not a big enough upgrade to be worth our first. We would need 50% retention to even consider it, and even then we’d probably have to flip him in the summer.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Oh really? One bad season by Dumba doesn't mean significant add on by wild

war_bars_three_years.png

People here obviously still don’t understand just how good Brayden Point is. Bad season or no bad season, Dumba doesn’t come close to getting you Point.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Nothing against Martinez as a player, but he’s simply too expensive for us to afford capwise and not a big enough upgrade to be worth our first. We would need 50% retention to even consider it, and even then we’d probably have to flip him in the summer.
Funny enough, the Kings can/would eat 50% for a 1st..
Martinez would be in TB for 1.5 seasons @ $2 mill per

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad