LeBrun: Possibility of a top 4 RHD with term to Tampa?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Thanks, as a Habs fans, your input on values of TB and Anaheim players are greatly appreciated.

I gift you a tissue to wipe away your tears because no one wants to trade for Petry. Feelings suck, especially when they get hurt. I'm here if you need to a safe space and need to talk.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Brodin can play right, might work well with Hedman - or Dumba.

But Vancouver's 1st + Cirelli + a cap dump for Dumba + Donato?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
...How are we taking a player with term given the raises players are due next year?

Normally Lebrun's the only insider I give any credit to at all when it comes to TB, but I think his "in" with the team might have been Yzerman himself. This one feels like speculation without a lot of research behind it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
TB 1st and Joseph

For

Manson and 3rd

?

I don't think the Ducks would be actively shopping Manson, and there is nothing in the D pipeline that would make any of the big 3 with term seem expendable. Personally I'm not that interested in a late 1st + decent prospect type offer, because I think he could fetch something in that ballpark as a rental. To pry him away right now with 2.5 years term, I would think should require a very good young D prospect coming back. I could see Murray being a fan of Callan Foote.

Reactions: Benstheman

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Tampa I don't trade Foote for Petry straight up. Petry key skill is pp and Hedman and Shattenkirk are just fine there. 1 and young roster player um maybe but Foote is just lol.
How in the world can Tampa afford Petry's $5.5 million for one more season? As it is Tampa has about $10 million to spend this summer on about 12 players or so. So something is going to have to give. Killorns full NTC goes to a Mod-NTC this summer. So one would've to figure that he goes somewhere else this summer. DeBois is going to have fun getting Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev signed with only $10 million of cap to show for it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Thanks, as a Habs fans, your input on values of TB and Anaheim players are greatly appreciated.

I gift you a tissue to wipe away your tears because no one wants to trade for Petry. Feelings suck, especially when they get hurt. I'm here if you need to a safe space and need to talk.

ok

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Sounds like speculation to me.

Usually that's a Friedman thing not Lebrun

I feel like I have to explain this every week.

When LeBrun or Friedman write that they 'woudn't be surprised', theyve heard something. It just means they arent willing to say who told them or how likely. It is NOT pure speculation, it is likely that they know the team is considering it internally or they've heard actual trade talks but don't wish to go on the record with it. If you read LeBrun or Friedman regularly, they specify when they are purely speculating. If they go with the 'wouldn't be surprised' language, thats code for a rumour is out there.

It's also because of they announced the thing was going to happen, people would jump on them if it didn't happen. Guess what though, not every rumour comes to fruition.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev signed with only $10 million of cap to show for it.
Sergachev and Cirelli, sure... probably will get about $4 Million AAV bridge deals each. Cernak has taken a small step back in his play this year. Even if he was as steady as he was last year, I don't think his play warrants making as much as either of those guys. $2 Million AAV is about right for his next bridge deal.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Not this shit again. Reasons why this won’t happen:

1. Sergachev can play the right side as well as the left, which gives us 3/4 of our top four already set for the near future. Cernak is a solid 4D assuming we can afford to keep him (he might become a cap casualty if we find ourselves pinching pennies to save both Serg and Cirelli) and we have Foote coming up next year; which of them ends up in our top four longterm remains to be seen but we’re clearly not in a position where acquiring an expensive top four defenseman is a need.

2. The job opposite Hedman is a simple one: all that is needed is a defenseman who can stay at home and limit his mistakes. This role was effectively filled by the likes of Jake Dotchin in his rookie season and Jan Rutta this year; clearly it doesn’t take a high-priced standout D-man to be effective opposite the best two-way defenseman in the league.

3. Many of the supposed potential targets being named are offensive defensemen, which with the likes of Hedman and Sergachev already on the team is the very last thing we need. The idea that we would pay for someone like Risto to play on our bottom pairing and maybe on our second power play unit is laughable. (And before Buffalo fans get their panties in a wad, even they have to agree that he is not the sort of stay-at-home, do-no-harm defenseman we want opposite Hedman, nor is he suitable for our shutdown defensive pairing opposite McDonagh.)

3. We’re already looking at having to convince somebody like Gourde or Johnson to waive in the summer just to keep Serg and Cirelli (Killorn is tradeable but clearing his salary alone almost certainly won’t be enough.) Serg is already our second or third best defenseman and future 1D while Cirelli is a superb 2C, so any move that loses one of them would have to be for an exceptional young RD with several years of team control, whose addition outweighs the loss of the player in question.

In short the idea that we would (to use a constantly suggested and rejected example) trade Foote for Petry is patently absurd, as it would first cost us exactly the sort of young, cost-controlled defenseman we need to navigate our cap situation going forward and then cost us one of our key RFAs in the summer. There is ZERO chance we do that. I won’t even waste my time addressing the absurdity of moving Cirelli for such a player, or Point or Kucherov for anyone.

The only way we would bring in an older/expensive top four RHD would be a) with significant retention, b) with Gourde going the other way, and c) without it costing us any of our obviously unavailable players such as Point, Kucherov, Serg, Cirelli, or (unless it’s for a young and cheap upgrade) Cernak or Foote.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How in the world can Tampa afford Petry's $5.5 million for one more season? As it is Tampa has about $10 million to spend this summer on about 12 players or so. So something is going to have to give. Killorns full NTC goes to a Mod-NTC this summer. So one would've to figure that he goes somewhere else this summer. DeBois is going to have fun getting Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev signed with only $10 million of cap to show for it.

We can't afford him, or any other non-rental. Unless we're willing to risk our upcoming RFAs, which would be idiotic. Sergachev has taken a massive step this year, Cirelli looks like a shutdown 2C, and Cernak, after a slow start, is back to being a dependable #4.

We already have to move Killorn, and maybe even somebody else.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm sounding unrealistic here, but Burns/Karlsson to Tampa Bay for both Vancouver and Tampa's first, Yanni Gourde, Mitchell Stephens, Otto Soompi and Taylor Raddysh. Maybe an additional pick depending on how much San Jose retains.

But one I would've liked to include was Alex Killorn but I doubt Tampa gets rid of him.

I think they're saving Johnson for the expansion draft because Seattle WILL claim him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm sounding unrealistic here, but Burns/Karlsson to Tampa Bay for both Vancouver and Tampa's first, Yanni Gourde, Mitchell Stephens, Otto Soompi and Taylor Raddysh. Maybe an additional pick depending on how much San Jose retains.

But one I would've liked to include was Alex Killorn but I doubt Tampa gets rid of him.

I think they're saving Johnson for the expansion draft because Seattle WILL claim him.

More than unrealistic. Not possible. And "offensive defenseman" is like the last thing in the world we need right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like I have to explain this every week.

When LeBrun or Friedman write that they 'woudn't be surprised', theyve heard something. It just means they arent willing to say who told them or how likely. It is NOT pure speculation, it is likely that they know the team is considering it internally or they've heard actual trade talks but don't wish to go on the record with it. If you read LeBrun or Friedman regularly, they specify when they are purely speculating. If they go with the 'wouldn't be surprised' language, thats code for a rumour is out there.

It's also because of they announced the thing was going to happen, people would jump on them if it didn't happen. Guess what though, not every rumour comes to fruition.

I would buy that if not for TB's cap situation.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not this **** again. Reasons why this won’t happen:

1. Sergachev can play the right side as well as the left, which gives us 3/4 of our top four already set for the near future. Cernak is a solid 4D assuming we can afford to keep him (he might become a cap casualty if we find ourselves pinching pennies to save both Serg and Cirelli) and we have Foote coming up next year; which of them ends up in our top four longterm remains to be seen but we’re clearly not in a position where acquiring an expensive top four defenseman is a need.

2. The job opposite Hedman is a simple one: all that is needed is a defenseman who can stay at home and limit his mistakes. This role was effectively filled by the likes of Jake Dotchin in his rookie season and Jan Rutta this year; clearly it doesn’t take a high-priced standout D-man to be effective opposite the best two-way defenseman in the league.

3. Many of the supposed potential targets being named are offensive defensemen, which with the likes of Hedman and Sergachev already on the team is the very last thing we need. The idea that we would pay for someone like Risto to play on our bottom pairing and maybe on our second power play unit is laughable. (And before Buffalo fans get their panties in a wad, even they have to agree that he is not the sort of stay-at-home, do-no-harm defenseman we want opposite Hedman, nor is he suitable for our shutdown defensive pairing opposite McDonagh.)

3. We’re already looking at having to convince somebody like Gourde or Johnson to waive in the summer just to keep Serg and Cirelli (Killorn is tradeable but clearing his salary alone almost certainly won’t be enough.) Serg is already our second or third best defenseman and future 1D while Cirelli is a superb 2C, so any move that loses one of them would have to be for an exceptional young RD with several years of team control, whose addition outweighs the loss of the player in question.

In short the idea that we would (to use a constantly suggested and rejected example) trade Foote for Petry is patently absurd, as it would first cost us exactly the sort of young, cost-controlled defenseman we need to navigate our cap situation going forward and then cost us one of our key RFAs in the summer. There is ZERO chance we do that. I won’t even waste my time addressing the absurdity of moving Cirelli for such a player, or Point or Kucherov for anyone.

The only way we would bring in an older/expensive top four RHD would be a) with significant retention, b) with Gourde going the other way, and c) without it costing us any of our obviously unavailable players such as Point, Kucherov, Serg, Cirelli, or (unless it’s for a young and cheap upgrade) Cernak or Foote.

Could see you Foote being on the table for Manson?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

This Sharks fans says HELL YES
Almost impossible to move players over 28 years old( for fair-ish value) on these boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->