LeBrun: Possibility of a top 4 RHD with term to Tampa?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
In his last piece on The Athletic, Lebrun speculates that Tampa could package one of its first rounders for a top 4 RHD with term past this year at the deadline.

(Paywall) LeBrun: How contenders now approach the trade deadline, plus...

It wouldn’t shock me to see the Lightning try for a top-four, right-handed blueliner, which could cost them a first-round pick in a package, but only if that player has term past this year. I don’t think they’ll use a first-rounder on a rental player.

Which non playoffs teams RHD could be their target? A few come to mind:

Jeff Petry?
Josh Manson?
Matt Dumba (but Minny is still in the mix for the playoffs)?
Others?

What would be the price?

Reactions: Gravity

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Johnson, Gourde 1st
for
Dumba & Greenway

Gourde and a 1st for Risto also makes a lot of sense.

(except for their NTCs)

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
There's probably some credibility to this, given its Lebrun and there were similar rumors tying us to Ristolainen last year.

We are weak down the right side, with Hedman/McDonagh/Sergachev locked in on the left. Likely trying to find a partner for Hedman.

Reactions: dukeofjive

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
In his last piece on The Athletic, Lebrun speculates that Tampa could package one of its first rounders for a top 4 RHD with term past this year at the deadline.

(Paywall) LeBrun: How contenders now approach the trade deadline, plus...

Which non playoffs teams RHD could be their target? A few come to mind:

Jeff Petry?
Josh Manson?
Matt Dumba (but Minny is still in the mix for the playoffs)?
Others?

What would be the price?
Rumors around Ristolainen to TB surfaced last season it wouldn't surprise me if they re-visited it. Other options on Buffalo with term as well that could potentially be available would include Miller and Montour.

Reactions: Chainshot

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Petry has already been discussed a lot of these boards. To me it starts and ends with Cal Foote. If he can’t be included there’s no deal to be made. I could see the following making sense for Montreal:

Cal Footer + Vancouver first round pick for Jeff Petry (1.5M retained), Montreal/Chicago 2020 second round pick (Tampa choose which one he wants at the end of the season)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
TBay should have moved Miller for a top four D man. They are in their window for winning now. Only Getting a late first round pick in the Miller deal was a BIG mistake. That prospect will in all likelihood be 5 years away from helping their team. Their window is closed by then.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Petry has already been discussed a lot of these boards. To me it starts and ends with Cal Foote. If he can’t be included there’s no deal to be made. I could see the following making sense for Montreal:

Cal Footer + Vancouver first round pick for Jeff Petry, Montreal/Chicago 2020 second round pick (Tampa choose which one he wants at the end of the season) and Montreal 2020 4th round pick

I don't like Foote that much personnally.

Vancouver 1st for Montreal 2nd is basically a 12 spots trade and we're giving a 4th?

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Cal Footer + Vancouver first round pick for Jeff Petry (1.5M retained), Montreal/Chicago 2020 second round pick (Tampa choose which one he wants at the end of the season)

IMHO, two former 1st rd pick (Foote was taken 14th ov) for Petry is too much.

P.S.: oups, didn't see you added a (high) 2nd rd pick.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I hear Tampa Bay has this bum of a right winger, whose pacing for 33 points less then last year. Clearly overpaid too, and I know Tampa needs help with the cap. Montreal has the cap space. We'd do 1 for 1 for Petry.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The TSN insiders, are rarely right in anything they say, they are paid to speculate? Guys on here do it for free.

These clowns have well placed contacts, and those contacts put them up to it, so to speak....
Good take. The so called “insiders” basically sell any journalistic integrity they have to stay relevant. They must know they are being used by NHL execs, but still allow it to happen.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If Tampa I don't trade Foote for Petry straight up. Petry key skill is pp and Hedman and Shattenkirk are just fine there. 1 and young roster player um maybe but Foote is just lol.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hear Tampa Bay has this bum of a right winger, whose pacing for 33 points less then last year. Clearly overpaid too, and I know Tampa needs help with the cap. Montreal has the cap space. We'd do 1 for 1 for Petry.
Who is the TBay struggling winger you’re speaking of?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Full NTC. Most of their forwards have them. It would have to be...an impending RFA due for a significant raise.

ib4 Sergachev for Petry

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Who is the TBay struggling winger you’re speaking of?
Guess. :popcorn:

The guys we'd want to move to make cap space (e.g. Gourde, Johnson, Palat, Killorn--depending on who you ask) we can't move, and the guys we CAN move we mostly don't want to (e.g. Kucherov, Point). We do have approximately 6 million in cap space right now, though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Guess. :popcorn:

The guys we'd want to move to make cap space (e.g. Gourde, Johnson, Palat, Killorn--depending on who you ask) we can't move, and the guys we CAN move we mostly don't want to (e.g. Kucherov, Point). We do have approximately 6 million in cap space right now, though.
Should move Point. Good return for a small center, who is not really a guy made for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->