Speculation: Position in the Atlantic division

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I could say habs were 4th in GA which makes them a SC contender now!

Really, leafs scored a lot but let a lot in. Their D is suspect. Forwards are good but Hainsey won't solve their problems.

Their goaltender is above average most of the time but not elite. They have elite forwards, that's it.

It reminds me of us in 2012-13 after we bounced back and made the playoffs. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Pacioretty, Subban, Price...cup in no time!!

Reality will set in. Leafs may surprise within next 3 years and have a run into top 4(just like we did) but I assure you, their D just isn't good enough. Their forward group won't make up for it.

They'll make playoffs but I don't see them being far from us. After 10 years of top picks they still aren't going to dominate.
In 2 years (probably 1 year), Liljegren will be in their roster.

So they just need one of Rasanen, Greenway and others to complete their bottom-6 and they have a real defense.

I would trade our 2012-13 roster with the Leafs roster 2017-18 (even without the prospects) right now.

Talking about defensive prospects: Liljegren or Juulsen + Mete?

You think that their defense will be subpar with Babcock for a long time?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Dahlin and Bergevin fired, that would be a great year.

One thing I know for sure : Habs are much more likely to win the Stanley Cup than to finish dead last and draft Dahlin, even if both scenarios are very unlikely. So I will cheer for the most likely scenario among both, which should also be our ultimate goal as fans : The Stanley Cup!

Habs are not a top 5 team, but they are a top 10 team. And when you're a top 10 team, you don't aim for the last position.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
One thing I know for sure : Habs are much more likely to win the Stanley Cup than to finish dead last and draft Dahlin, even if both scenarios are very unlikely. So I will cheer for the most likely scenario among both, which should also be our ultimate goal as fans : The Stanley Cup!

Habs are not a top 5 team, but they are a top 10 team. And when you're a top 10 team, you don't aim for the last position.

Not a top 10 team either Imo. Flyers were close to make the playoffs and they got 2nd overall, anything can happen when you miss the playoffs.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
We didn't tank when he got Galchenyuk. We need a bad season. And we are looking at one right now. Our defense is static and old with nobody to make the rush.

Lose this year, get a top 3 pick. Next year, we are back in top but with a new management. There.

Or, go all in for Leon Draisaitl and you will never hear me whine about a lottery pick ever again for the next 5 years.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
You are kidding us right? Ottawa and Boston will both finish better than us.
Ottawa has Karlsson. By himself, he's already better than us. Ottawa has our number for the past couple of years. Then the Bruins has rejuvenated their defense with guys like Carlo and Charlie McAvoy, their phenom dmen. Add to that the classic combo of Bergeron and Marchand and Tuuka Rask in the back. They are both 2 teams more balanced than ours.

We have Price and then thats it. Galchenyuk is the X-factor, not Drouin. Galchenyuk is the one that will dictate our season's success. Because we all know Price can't win by himself on every night. Right now, we have HUGE holes to fill and I really don't see how we will fix things up right now. Losing Sergachev, Emelin, Beaulieu and possibly Markov will destroy us. Then you have this huge production left by Radu's departure and going into the season with a 1-2 punch center of Danault and Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk not being able to win more than 40% of his faceoffs..

It's disastrous. Bergevin has turned this organization into the same as Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini era. It is really worrying.

Ottawa will not be ahead of us

If Boston is depending on their young d to improve I see it as an uphill battle

Our d is more mobile with schlemko replacing emelin he'll surprise many of you

Jerabek is a wildcard and chucky drouin will be key

Lehkonen is a year older and got hot around march 1st

Hopefully he'll continue to grow

Gallagher had the worst season of his career and will definitely have s better year and hopefully he doesn't break his hand for s third year in a row

Stamkos back but Tampa also lost a 50-60 pt forward in drouin

It'll be tough but I see us in the top three of the Atlantic probably in a dog fight for third

Montreal Toronto first round ?

If we are struggling after the Allstar break and slightly out of playoffs I see plek Mitchell hemsky and maybe markov if signed traded for prospects and futures and hopefully we tank if that's the case

I'd like to see us be the last team in To get a top 18 pick instead of mid to late 20s

Good talent next year

get25

Oct 17, 2015
You are kidding us right? Ottawa and Boston will both finish better than us.
Ottawa has Karlsson. By himself, he's already better than us. Ottawa has our number for the past couple of years. Then the Bruins has rejuvenated their defense with guys like Carlo and Charlie McAvoy, their phenom dmen. Add to that the classic combo of Bergeron and Marchand and Tuuka Rask in the back. They are both 2 teams more balanced than ours.

We have Price and then thats it. Galchenyuk is the X-factor, not Drouin. Galchenyuk is the one that will dictate our season's success. Because we all know Price can't win by himself on every night. Right now, we have HUGE holes to fill and I really don't see how we will fix things up right now. Losing Sergachev, Emelin, Beaulieu and possibly Markov will destroy us. Then you have this huge production left by Radu's departure and going into the season with a 1-2 punch center of Danault and Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk not being able to win more than 40% of his faceoffs..

It's disastrous. Bergevin has turned this organization into the same as Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini era. It is really worrying.
Emelin can be replaced by Alzner who is better.
Sergachev was not with our team so his lost is not in the picture.
Beaulieu had good offense but Schlemko is better in defense.

Markov is painful for one or two years.

Drouin will replace Radulov and could very well score more points especially on the PP.

Galchenyuk was very near to Malkin's FO this year and was better last year.
May never be a top FO center but it took 5 years for Hanzal to be a top FO center. I think we can give Galchenyuk a few more years especially given that Hanzal will never reach 30G or a pace of 59 points.

We have 5 top-6 who are 25 years old and younger: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Danault.
  • Pacioretty is a top-6 for the next 8-10 years.
  • Danault coul very well improve to 45-50 points.
  • Gallagher had a pace of 62 points in 2015-16:amazed:.
  • Drouin: nothing less than 60 points for him for me.
  • Lehkonen: At least 25G-20A (18G without PP:amazed:);
  • Danault: First season full time and 40 points - 24 years - expect 45-50 points.

Seems that we have Price and that's it... and a top-6 that is among the best in the league.

Let me ask two questions:
How many players did we have with 40+ points (replace Radulov with Drouin)?
How many teams in the league had the same numbers (or more)?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
In 2 years (probably 1 year), Liljegren will be in their roster.

So they just need one of Rasanen, Greenway and others to complete their bottom-6 and they have a real defense.

I would trade our 2012-13 roster with the Leafs roster 2017-18 (even without the prospects) right now.

Talking about defensive prospects: Liljegren or Juulsen + Mete?

You think that their defense will be subpar with Babcock for a long time?

We're talking this upcoming season though no?

In 2-3 years we'll be on downswing for sure but that's not what your thread is about.

As I said, they may surprise within 3 years just like did after getting Galchenyuk in 2012. So we're in agreement they're in the up but by then Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, etc... will get paid.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
We didn't tank when he got Galchenyuk. We need a bad season. And we are looking at one right now. Our defense is static and old with nobody to make the rush.

Lose this year, get a top 3 pick. Next year, we are back in top but with a new management. There.

Or, go all in for Leon Draisaitl and you will never hear me whine about a lottery pick ever again for the next 5 years.
Get ready to whine because if we get a first OA in the next 5 years, it will go to Edmonton.

Would be fun to see us get Draisaitl and get the 1st OA and the Oilers get Dahlin and have the best forward and best d-men for the next 15 years.

There is a reason why so few offer sheets are done: cost is prohibitive.
Maybe in the next CBA...

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal will be a bubble team (either they barely make the playoffs - and lose in first round - or miss it by a few points).

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Emelin can be replaced by Alzner who is better.
Sergachev was not with our team so his lost is not in the picture.
Beaulieu had good offense but Schlemko is better in defense.

Markov is painful for one or two years.

Drouin will replace Radulov and could very well score more points especially on the PP.

Galchenyuk was very near to Malkin's FO this year and was better last year.
May never be a top FO center but it took 5 years for Hanzal to be a top FO center. I think we can give Galchenyuk a few more years especially given that Hanzal will never reach 30G or a pace of 59 points.

We have 5 top-6 who are 25 years old and younger: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Danault.
  • Pacioretty is a top-6 for the next 8-10 years.
  • Danault coul very well improve to 45-50 points.
  • Gallagher had a pace of 62 points in 2015-16:amazed:.
  • Drouin: nothing less than 60 points for him for me.
  • Lehkonen: At least 25G-20A (18G without PP:amazed:);
  • Danault: First season full time and 40 points - 24 years - expect 45-50 points.

Seems that we have Price and that's it... and a top-6 that is among the best in the league.

Let me ask two questions:
How many players did we have with 40+ points (replace Radulov with Drouin)?
How many teams in the league had the same numbers (or more)?

I get what you want to say. But there are so much uncertainty in your predictions/arguments.

1) Gallagher played 64 and 53 games respectively during the past 2 years. Yes, if healthy in 2015-16, his production would have been 62 points. But that's a big IF. Gallagher's style of play is hurting him PLUS his hand injury greatly affected him last year. He's aging and his style in front of the net won't persist that efficiently.
2) Pacioretty will give you the same numbers. He is a peripheral 60 points winger with 30 goals capability. Soft and shy away from contact. Scores empty netters and disappears in the playoffs. His goals will help us in the rankings for sure.
3) Drouin vs Radu. Sure Drouin might score more and maybe even go 60-70 points but again, it's not like it's a sure thing. He had one good year last year. Now, he has different linemates. There's no Stamkos or Kucherov or Palat or Johnson here in Mtl.
4) Danault is your most sure thing in the lineup. His production won't be that high but he's not even close to be a Kyle Turris in Ottawa.
5) Alzner was badly injured last year ending his streak but then again, Caps fans said that he wasn't the same coming back from the injury. And he won't replace Markov's production.

All in all, after describing all these players above, just tell me are they that better than:
Mike Hoffman
Kyle Turris
Mark Stone
Bobby Ryan
JPG

We can play the same arguments: Bobby Ryan had his worst season last year. He will be back next year. Pacioretty scores tons of goals, but Mike Hoffman AND Mark Stone too. Danault 45-50pts...JPG as well. Turris is a 60pts established centerman...wait where's Chucky? Drouin is gonna be same production as Hoffman or Stone.

Add one of the most dominant players in the league: Erik Karlsson.
Add one of the top dmen prospect in the league joining them next year: Thomas Chabot
Add in duo of Anderson and Condon.

You have a team much better than us.

We SURE don't have one of the best top 6 in the league. You are delusional.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We also have Julien all season, to start training camp with the guys and implement the type of hockey he wants. This will go a long way I believe.

Habs still have $14m in cap. Let's wait before judging.

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Where are we going to be in the Atlantic division?

We will probably need another pool in October.
But with the actual team, what would be our position in the Atlantic division?

To start the discussion, I think that:
  1. Tampa Bay (SC contender);
  2. Toronto (Hainsey is the only top-4 above 26, Marleau will help, SC contender);
  3. Ottawa (Cleasson and Chabot will replace Methot);
  4. Buffalo (add Batiste, Bailey, Nylander, Pu, Asplund, Scandella, Beaulieu: they will find offense and defense, Johnson);
  5. Montreal;
  6. Boston (Carlo and McAvoy will replace Chara);
  7. Florida (adding Dadonov will help but not much in AHL, maybe Borgstrom);
  8. Detroit: two years to go in their rebuild - will be finished when Green is gone and Zetterberg/Kronwall retires.
could represent the order.
Montreal will finish WAY ahead of Toronto and Buffalo ....Habs win the division and it's not close......Ever heard of Carey Price proven MVP of the league.:laugh:

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Who are the geniuses who think Montreal finishes behind Detroit somehow? I'm not sure that would even be physically possible.

Montreal finishes 1st in the Atlantic. Quite easily in fact. Team is hopelessly underrated here because everyone is annoyed that we didn't sign Hanzal or offer sheet Draisatl. Finished first last year with a roster that was no better than the current one, plus we had Therrien for most of the year, often described as the worst coach in the history of time. A full year of Julien will do wonders for this team.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think the division will be very close

Honestly it's hard to predict, I think the Habs, Leafs, Sens, Bolts, Bruins have a shot at finishing 1st

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the division will be very close

Honestly it's hard to predict, I think the Habs, Leafs, Sens, Bolts, Bruins have a shot at finishing 1st

I agree. Add the Panthers in the mix too. They will battle for a playoff spot.

Bold prediction based on so many others lists but I actually think the Lightning take another step back this year. They lost some offense (Drouin and Filppula) and no more Bishop in net. Vasilevskiy is good but he has consistency issues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
3rd at best. (optimistic prediction)

I bet you would of said the same thing or worse heading into last season. Habs have one of the best goaltenders and a very sound defense. We are going to be very tough to beat again. Our issue is not the regular season, it's the playoffs.

Habs are favorites in the Atlantic. 3 division titles in 5 years and we have not taken any steps backwards.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I bet you would of said the same thing or worse heading into last season. Habs have one of the best goaltenders and a very sound defense. We are going to be very tough to beat again. Our issue is not the regular season, it's the playoffs.

Habs are favorites in the Atlantic. 3 division titles in 5 years and we have not taken any steps backwards.

Sound defence? What?

What are your sound defensive pairings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->