Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Rasmus-Dahlen-2017WM20.jpg

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I could see Buffalo going a bit up in the standings. They don't have a crazy lineup but there are some interesting pieces in there:

Kane - ROR - Okposo
Moulson - Eichel - Pominville
Pouliot - Reinhart - Josefson?

Scandella - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian
Beaulieu - Falk/Gorges

.. but honestly, as of right now.. I would almost rank Toronto, Florida, Tampa, Montreal and Buffalo on the same level. All those teams have some weaknesses and some strengths. Buffalo has some question marks on scoring wingers and goaltending, same with Florida. Tampa has some question marks with centers and goaltending. Ottawa could battle for 3rd or wildcard if their tight defensive game keeps working. I don't know, guess I'll try for Montreal in 3rd.. it's still a long summer ahead..

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
First or second I believe. Last year the team finished first with a half-season of Therrien. Replace Empty with a decent coach, whose system is bound to be an improvement on the former's, and combine that with a number of incremental improvements in the supporting cast plus the addition of an elite player in Drouin. I believe that this team is at least equal to last year's, if one considers both coaching and on-ice talent, assuming that one or two BargainBin flyers and newly promoted young players work out (Jerabek, Holland, Hemsky, Hudon, ...).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They were 5th in offense last year. So in offense, they are a contender.

When you can ice Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Marleau you can compete with Crosby and Malkin. Add Hyman, Brown, Moore and Leivo.

Problem could be defense or in the goal.

They added Hainsey, drafted Liljegren and have Kapanen, Rychel, Johnsson, Griffith, Nielsen all under 24 years old with the Marlies.

They lost in OT against the Caps in game 7.

BTW, when the Sens lost in 2nd OT against the Pens, they were a true SC contender.

So at this point, I remain: Toronto might very well be in top-4 for the cup and we are going to have a tough time to be in PO.

I could say habs were 4th in GA which makes them a SC contender now!

Really, leafs scored a lot but let a lot in. Their D is suspect. Forwards are good but Hainsey won't solve their problems.

Their goaltender is above average most of the time but not elite. They have elite forwards, that's it.

It reminds me of us in 2012-13 after we bounced back and made the playoffs. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Pacioretty, Subban, Price...cup in no time!!

Reality will set in. Leafs may surprise within next 3 years and have a run into top 4(just like we did) but I assure you, their D just isn't good enough. Their forward group won't make up for it.

They'll make playoffs but I don't see them being far from us. After 10 years of top picks they still aren't going to dominate.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
The divison is weak and quite frankly, the eastern conference is in general outisde of Pittsburgh and Washington.

People are freaking out on these boards, as usual and while I'm not a fan of Bergevin you also have to aknowlege that if Ottawa made it to within a game of the finals last year, it means the conference is pretty wide open.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
1. Tampa Bay
2. Montreal
3. Toronto
4. Ottawa (Wildcard)
5. Florida
6. Buffalo
7. Boston
8. Detroit

We'll beat Toronto in 5 in the playoffs because Drouin is a playoff beast everywhere he plays

This post aligns very closely with my take, every aspect of it, plus the impact of a full season of a better coach.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The divison is weak and quite frankly, the eastern conference is in general outisde of Pittsburgh and Washington.

People are freaking out on these boards, as usual and while I'm not a fan of Bergevin you also have to aknowlege that if Ottawa made it to within a game of the finals last year, it means the conference is pretty wide open.

Toronto is a good candidate for powerhouse status.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1st place again! I think we remain a top 5 team defense and we find stability up the middle. Young kids surprise us as the season moves along.

Leafs, Sens, Panthers. Tampa misses the playoffs again. Losing Bishop and Drouin is a bigger lost than they realize at the moment.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
As much as poster here whine we still have the best goalie in the league one of the best D in Weber a top end goal scorer in Patches and young talent like Chucky and Drouin.

Not many teams have improved enough to be a legitimate contender to pass us. I'm more concerned with the playoffs than I am with the regular season.
I do agree that our offense is really really young.

Gallagher, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Drouin and Danault are all real young and should improve. That is 5 top-6 right there and the oldest is 25 years old.
Pacioretty is the only top-6 who is in his peak and he will be there for at least 4-5 years.

We need 2 or 3 more top-9 in the next 3 to 4 years and we will be just fine.
Two out of Poehling, Hudon, McCarron, DLR, Scherback, Ikonen, Reway, Bitten, DLR.
If they fit top-9, we can get one or two UFA to complete our team.
There are plenty of UFA centers next year BTW.

It feels kind of strange to talk about a window when we look at our team a few years ago: Gomez, Gionta, Lang, Plekanec, Tanguay, Kovalev, Cammallari, MAB, Metropolit, Hamrlik, Spacek, Moen, Moore, Gill, Darche, Mara were all over 27 years old.

Looking at the defense, loosing Markov would be a big loss but he is a 38 years old d-men. At 36 years old, Weber will make 3M and at 37 years old, he will make 1M.
For this organization, we have to find a cheap LHD via trades or via our prospect pool.

It is clear to me that loosing Markov and Radulov will have an impact.
But two years from now, we could very have a a better team.

Markov scoring 20-30 points and Radulov scoring less than 40 points in two years would be very bad for 12M.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Habs are going to struggle this year to make the playoffs. No puck movers in the back end currently. Strong forecheck teams will give them fits.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Would be happy with Svechnikov as well

Please, no more Russian. We can't even get things right with a American-born Russian.

Kostitsyn (both), Perezhogin, Emelin, Radulov, Sergachev, and soon to go Markov and Galchenyuk...our record is just bad with Russians.

Stick to an Euro or a NA player.

Otherwise, Bergevin will trade them 1 year after for a local boy.

I would prefer a guy like Joel Farabee, Allan McShane or Ryan Merkley than Svechnikov..

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Please, no more Russian. We can't even get things right with a American-born Russian.

Kostitsyn (both), Perezhogin, Emelin, Radulov, Sergachev, and soon to go Markov and Galchenyuk...our record is just bad with Russians.

Stick to an Euro or a NA player.

Otherwise, Bergevin will trade them 1 year after for a local boy.

I would prefer a guy like Joel Farabee, Allan McShane or Ryan Merkley than Svechnikov..

Svechnikov is a franchise changing player, those guys are not. I am also 100% sure Bergevin is fired if we don't make the playoffs.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see MTL finish better than 4th,
TOR
TB
OTT/BOS
MTL
BOS/OTT
FLA/BUF
BUF/FLA
DET

Why is Toronto first?

TB has better forwards and D-men than them.

TB has been underachieving for years, they're the true competition for top spot.

Boston is on decline. Toronto is adding to their position but will likely be competing for 2-3 in division. We're 1-3, not sure where.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
There defense is horrible. They are a playoff spot contender, but they are light years away from being a Stanley Cup contender. Get real.
Rielly and Zaitsev are really good.
Gardiner and Hainsey can complete the top-4.
Hainsey can cover for Gardiner's brain fart.

But their prospects and young d-men can compete to fill in the 4th spot.
Defense will improve after two years of Babcock.

Their offense is second to none.
Better than the Pens or the Caps.

I am just using the PO as a reference. They lost in OT in a 7th game against the Caps.
So either the Caps were getting bad or Toronto was getting better.

As much as I love to hate the Leafs, I can they are getting better.

For sure in the PO, after that all bets are off.
Would you have bet that the Sens would bring the Pens to a 2nd OT in game 7?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
At worst I think we're 3rd as neither Boston or Ottawa did much to improve themselves so far this off-season. Both are relying on young players to step in & help improve the team. We'll see.

Like last season, TB begins the season as favorites. Hedman & Kucherov are sick. Then they add a healthy Stamkos.

I can see Toronto finishing second, but who knows. They were also unbelievably healthy last year & teams will be more prepared for them this year. They have serious offensive depth though & good goalkeeping, so for now I can see them coming behind TB, who has all the offense that T.O has, a good young goalkeeper & an unbelievable d-man in Hedman.

Detroit will finish last in the division again & probably get a top 5 pick in a great year.

Florida & Buffalo are real unknowns. Fla should have a top 3 spot, because of their forward group, but I don't like their D & their goaltending is suspect. Buffalo has made a lot of changes & have more prospects coming up. Eichel was legit in the 2nd half. We'll see if their D & goaltending holds up.

Montreal is not very exciting, but the forward group is tenacious even without Radulov. Guys like Gallagher, Lehkonen, Shaw, Byron & Danault just come at you. Our D is worrisome. Too defensive, but they won't give up a lot of chances either.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a top 5 defensive team.

We'll be in a dog fight with Ottawa, Boston, Toronto, Fla & potentially Buffalo for 2 spots, because I can see the Metro getting 5 teams. NJ & Philly should be much improved. Then there's Wash, Pitts & Columbus.

Injuries will play a large factor in who gets in & who doesn't.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pretty sure he will have the chance to make one last stupid trade before being fired.:help:

As long as he is gone I am happy. I mean the worst he can do is trade Galchenyuk for a horrific return, I have seen and been through worse.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
At worst I think we're 3rd as neither Boston or Ottawa did much to improve themselves so far this off-season. Both are relying on young players to step in & help improve the team. We'll see.

Like last season, TB begins the season as favorites. Hedman & Kucherov are sick. Then they add a healthy Stamkos.

I can see Toronto finishing second, but who knows. They were also unbelievably healthy last year & teams will be more prepared for them this year. They have serious offensive depth though & good goalkeeping, so for now I can see them coming behind TB, who has all the offense that T.O has, a good young goalkeeper & an unbelievable d-man in Hedman.

Detroit will finish last in the division again & probably get a top 5 pick in a great year.

Florida & Buffalo are real unknowns. Fla should have a top 3 spot, because of their forward group, but I don't like their D & their goaltending is suspect. Buffalo has made a lot of changes & have more prospects coming up. Eichel was legit in the 2nd half. We'll see if their D & goaltending holds up.

Montreal is not very exciting, but the forward group is tenacious even without Radulov. Guys like Gallagher, Lehkonen, Shaw, Byron & Danault just come at you. Our D is worrisome. Too defensive, but they won't give up a lot of chances either.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a top 5 defensive team.

We'll be in a dog fight with Ottawa, Boston, Toronto, Fla & potentially Buffalo for 2 spots, because I can see the Metro getting 5 teams. NJ & Philly should be much improved. Then there's Wash, Pitts & Columbus.

Injuries will play a large factor in who gets in & who doesn't.

You are kidding us right? Ottawa and Boston will both finish better than us.
Ottawa has Karlsson. By himself, he's already better than us. Ottawa has our number for the past couple of years. Then the Bruins has rejuvenated their defense with guys like Carlo and Charlie McAvoy, their phenom dmen. Add to that the classic combo of Bergeron and Marchand and Tuuka Rask in the back. They are both 2 teams more balanced than ours.

We have Price and then thats it. Galchenyuk is the X-factor, not Drouin. Galchenyuk is the one that will dictate our season's success. Because we all know Price can't win by himself on every night. Right now, we have HUGE holes to fill and I really don't see how we will fix things up right now. Losing Sergachev, Emelin, Beaulieu and possibly Markov will destroy us. Then you have this huge production left by Radu's departure and going into the season with a 1-2 punch center of Danault and Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk not being able to win more than 40% of his faceoffs..

It's disastrous. Bergevin has turned this organization into the same as Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini era. It is really worrying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->