Portland to ECHL for the 2018-19 season

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Wheeling's assistant coach..... now the Nailers had an unplanned off day today due to flooding , they played last night, and yes, the Nailers hired another assistant coach to replace Armstrong
Nailers just got crushed with callups and injuries recently. They played Reading last night and were a man short, with SIX players in the lineup who were not with the team on Wednesday, including four who joined the team after they got to Reading - plus a new assistant coach. They were missing something like 10 of their top 12 scorers. Royals took advantage and won the game 6-0.

Congrats to Riley on the position. Another former Royal joining the head coaching ranks (can't claim him exclusively, since he played for 14 other teams too).

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
any detailed report on how the alumni game was and how the 2 teams were received aside from the new coach introduction?

I was there, but working, so don't have a blow-by-blow on the game action.

I can say, however, that both teams were well-received. Lots of Flyers gear in the crowd - and the addition of old-time Mariners like Steve Tsujiura and Bruce Shoebottom - meant that the "home" team got lots of cheers. The Flyers side was also trying to set up both Briere and Armstrong, so both young fellers really stood out on the ice. That effort was also aided by the fact that the roster was heavy with D-men, so Danny and Riley were needed to create offense. I think Armstrong ended up with a hatty, and that Danny was part of almost every scoring play.

I spoke to a bunch of folks in the crowd (including @wildcat48), and most were pleased with the show, and re-vamped Civic Center. Lots of excitement for the return of pro hockey.

The only real disappointment for me (and many in the crowd, I think) was that Lindros didn't play. He flew in from Toronto on game-day, with a connection in Newark. His gear never left Newark, so he ended up behind the bench in street clothes as the "coach".

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
That would mean it's not the person who was convinced he was getting the job... :laugh:
Mariners snookered us a bit because Armstrong was never listed on the roster that was put out in public. As soon as I saw him on the ice in a Flyers uniform I immediately thought of you hence the FB post while I was at the game.;):)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Nothing announced on ECHL.com or the Mariners website, and no articles found in a quick google search, do you have any confirmation of this, or is it just a rumor?

that's what we have heard, personally, I'D RATHER see Boston moving from Atlanta and giving them solely Nashville, that hurts Greenville, now whether that actually happens, remains to be seen, I did the exact same thing you did, royals.

OK, from what I've read now, Greenville's contract with Hartford and the Rangers is set to expire when their season ends, Royals, probably why it hasn't been made official, but the folks are still buzzing over why the Flyers won't abandon Reading even though Spectra now owns a franchise

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Nothing announced on ECHL.com or the Mariners website, and no articles found in a quick google search, do you have any confirmation of this, or is it just a rumor?
There is a person who worked for the Flyers many years ago and still has connections within the Flyers alumni and Comcast that wrote on Facebook over the weekend that the NY Rangers were going to be the ECHL affiliate of the Maine Mariners. I've not seen anything anywhere else, but this person doesn't normally post stuff like this. He is not in the business of gossip so I tend to believe that its true just no announcement officially has been made.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There is a person who worked for the Flyers many years ago and still has connections within the Flyers alumni and Comcast that wrote on Facebook over the weekend that the NY Rangers were going to be the ECHL affiliate of the Maine Mariners. I've not seen anything anywhere else, but this person doesn't normally post stuff like this. He is not in the business of gossip so I tend to believe that its true just no announcement officially has been made.

it is official:

Greenville has had its affiliation with the Rangers expire and Steve Donner, for some who may not know, in ECHL circles, almost sunk the Rochester Americans prior to their golden anniversary season of 2006, has stated a mutual termination of the contract, after 8 plus seasons, Greenville will now attempt to find a regional affiliation closer to them... that is the gist of the press release from their end.

Portland's release announcing the Rangers is ALSO now posted on the team's site, and includes comments from former LLWS competitor and Assistant GM of the Rangers, Chris Drury, who is running the show in Hartford as is the case with most affiliates in both leagues welcoming Portland in this new era as we fans adjust to the ECHL.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
it is official:

Greenville has had its affiliation with the Rangers expire and Steve Donner, for some who may not know, in ECHL circles, almost sunk the Rochester Americans prior to their golden anniversary season of 2006, has stated a mutual termination of the contract, after 8 plus seasons, Greenville will now attempt to find a regional affiliation closer to them... that is the gist of the press release from their end.

Portland's release announcing the Rangers is ALSO now posted on the team's site, and includes comments from former LLWS competitor and Assistant GM of the Rangers, Chris Drury, who is running the show in Hartford as is the case with most affiliates in both leagues welcoming Portland in this new era as we fans adjust to the ECHL.

There are many in Rochester circles whom have nothing but love for Steve Donner. The Don never did anything to intentionally hurt the Amerks brand, or the fans. I am quite certain there are many fans in Rochester who wished he was still a part of the organization in some matter. The complicated world of the minor pro sports business can be tough. Those that make a go of it on behalf of their communities in good faith (like Donner) should be given some credit. The mid 2000s put a hit on many communities and their sports landscape. After the mid 2000s demographics, interests, and the sports landscape changed not only in Rochester but other northeast communities. Steve Donner's heart and passion was in the right place. He now takes that passion to Greenville, his experience will be beneficial. The affiliation change was bound to happen, all NHL and AHL organizations are trying to keep their ECHL clubs reasonably closer to home as much to an extent as possible.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Portland's return/introduction to the ECHL will be against THE Adirondack Thunder for most fans at Cross Arena on Saturday, October 13th

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
DgsbB42UEAACg2L.jpg
DgsbClXUYAAEX-G.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->