Portland to ECHL for the 2018-19 season

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I look forward to laughing hysterically at a "Let's Go Maine" chant.

I saw a Mariners game in the late 80s and double over laughing at the nasal chant:laugh:

Seems like a reasonable market to try. It's still a tough sell going from AHL to ECHL. Best of luck to the organization.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I look forward to laughing hysterically at a "Let's Go Maine" chant.

I saw a Mariners game in the late 80s and double over laughing at the nasal chant:laugh:

Seems like a reasonable market to try. It's still a tough sell going from AHL to ECHL. Best of luck to the organization.

Cyclones:

that chant truly never existed, even back then until CS sold it, by the time you were there things had changed, if it was the Bruin era, you have to remember, these two were rivals on and off the ice, and that goes back to essentially building the arena...

in all honesty, it's not a tough sell, because CS knows this market, and pretty much knows the fanbase, even when they left for other teams, and basically gave Allentown what they gave us, in 1977, with the Phantoms, too, 20 years later....

call it the Snider legacy, if you will, just as the Pirates were essentially the Ebright legacy from 1997 onward, we're just excited and a bit stunned and hope we can carry on the legacy of the Alaska Aces, just as we've supported all affiliates past, present, and future, and wondering now, how Spectra will reignite the fanbase going forward.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Neither the AHL or EXHL are amazing products at this point though. Both watered down and cater way too much to the higher ups. The difference isn't as big as thought.

Interesting they went after the Alaska franchise.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The talent difference between the AHL and ECHL (comparing 1st lines to 1st lines and 4th lines to 4th lines) is almost as big as that between the NHL and AHL.

There are as many AHLers in the NHL at any given time as there are ECHLers who have made it to the NHL all-time.

Yes, ECHL stars can be good 3rd/4th liners in the AHL, but the same is true of AHL stars and the back half of NHL rosters.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The talent difference between the AHL and ECHL (comparing 1st lines to 1st lines and 4th lines to 4th lines) is almost as big as that between the NHL and AHL.

There are as many AHLers in the NHL at any given time as there are ECHLers who have made it to the NHL all-time.

Yes, ECHL stars can be good 3rd/4th liners in the AHL, but the same is true of AHL stars and the back half of NHL rosters.

If your playing for an NHL team you are not an AHL player.
If your playing on an AHL team you are not an ECHL player.

If your in the AHL you are not an NHLer, likewise if your in the ECHL you are not an AHLer. Folks we are way over analyzing this hot mess, don't over think the levels. Just get your beer, lousy burger, bring the kids and [MOD] wife and enjoy the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
If your playing for an NHL team you are not an AHL player.
If your playing on an AHL team you are not an ECHL player.

If your in the AHL you are not an NHLer, likewise if your in the ECHL you are not an AHLer. Folks we are way over analyzing this hot mess, don't over think the levels. Just get your beer, lousy burger, bring the kids and [MOD] wife and enjoy the game.

Are you arguing that it's wrong to take hockey seriously and be interested in it beyond a source of mindless entertainment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I just wondering what happens here on out . Will the flyers pull the plug on the affiliation with the Royals or will Portland pursue a affilation closer to home .Also cant wait to see the divisional alignments.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I just wondering what happens here on out . Will the flyers pull the plug on the affiliation with the Royals or will Portland pursue a affilation closer to home .Also cant wait to see the divisional alignments.

all Spectra is doing is owning and operating the franchise, Royalsflag.... they also control many arenas.... but it will not affect the Reading affiliation, this is independent of that totally.... and it's been stated that through the CS and ECHL announcement of said acquisition....

I can see one of those unaffiliated ones, currently, and it wouldn't shock me if Florida returned here based off their dealings before, but that's further down the road, just as Worcester did with the Islanders.... all in due time, patience....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

If it's just Portland being added for 18-19 they'll be put in the North Division and that will be all the changes...but there's probably no way that's all the changes we'll see. I wouldn't bet against Philly and Portland being affiliated at some point.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I'm hearing that Philly is firmly staying with Reading for marketing purposes. Comcast is trying to work out a deal that would see Boston move their affiliation to Portland. We'll see.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I'm hearing that Philly is firmly staying with Reading for marketing purposes. Comcast is trying to work out a deal that would see Boston move their affiliation to Portland. We'll see.

If Comcast hires someone that knows anything about the ECHL I suspect that person, no matter who it is, will pass on the Bruins.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
If Comcast hires someone that knows anything about the ECHL I suspect that person, no matter who it is, will pass on the Bruins.

A Bruins affiliation will put people in the seats & allow for a lot of cross-promotional opportunities - it has a lot more to do with marketing than players. Bruins only usually have 2-3 guys swing guys on AHL contracts in the ECHL (although Vladar played much of the year in Atlanta last season), but the affiliation would have a lot more assistance in marketing.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A Bruins affiliation will put people in the seats & allow for a lot of cross-promotional opportunities - it has a lot more to do with marketing than players. Bruins only usually have 2-3 guys swing guys on AHL contracts in the ECHL (although Vladar played much of the year in Atlanta last season), but the affiliation would have a lot more assistance in marketing.

you forgot how ugly it was the last time the B's ran the operation here, and that's not having Spectra running the show as they will this time, crimson, take a gander on the history of Bruins and Portland, and it cost us dearly, whether they paid attention or not....

read GG's post again as to why Providence got the franchise in 1992, and let that sink in..... Spectra and Boston were rivals in 1977, and Boston had considered Portland even back then, but the Flyers locked them out by securing the franchise rights, just as they've done now...

how long do u think Renfroe and Providence remain locked if the relationship is strained between the two, and how realistic is that either short-term or long-term....

Florida seemed thrilled with the short time they were here and they, right now, don't have an official contract with anyone.....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

It will turn into the literal definition of "more trouble than it's worth".

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
you forgot how ugly it was the last time the B's ran the operation here, and that's not having Spectra running the show as they will this time, crimson, take a gander on the history of Bruins and Portland, and it cost us dearly, whether they paid attention or not....

read GG's post again as to why Providence got the franchise in 1992, and let that sink in..... Spectra and Boston were rivals in 1977, and Boston had considered Portland even back then, but the Flyers locked them out by securing the franchise rights, just as they've done now...

how long do u think Renfroe and Providence remain locked if the relationship is strained between the two, and how realistic is that either short-term or long-term....

Florida seemed thrilled with the short time they were here and they, right now, don't have an official contract with anyone.....
Hutch,

Nobody remembers... Most of the people are either too young to remember or they don't care. If the Bruins place their ECHL affiliate in Portland it will be considered a positive for promotional purposes.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hutch,

Nobody remembers... Most of the people are either too young to remember or they don't care. If the Bruins place their ECHL affiliate in Portland it will be considered a positive for promotional purposes.

I'D rather go elsewhere thanks for the affiliation, especially one that has treated this market right, not one who is a snobbish franchise, then why were they ignoring this market then...

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Whatever problems exist between Providence ownership and Boston (if that rumor is even true), what does that have to do with an ECHL affiliation between the Bruins and anyone else here in New England?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Whatever problems exist between Providence ownership and Boston (if that rumor is even true), what does that have to do with an ECHL affiliation between the Bruins and anyone else here in New England?

I just want something different, I just don't trust the Front office down there, after all the history between the markets, and 2) Comcast and the B's IS AS EQUIVALENT to having Portland align with the Canadiens( and we all know how well that'll fly here)...

I liked Washington, I liked Comcast, NJ was OK, Arizona was stressful enough and Florida, I feel was incomplete, the way it went down, BOS, TO ME WAS AN ABOMINABLE FAILURE, and I start to see the same issues with PRO, TOO MUCH HISTORY, to me.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If there are any issues in Providence, it's not on Boston's end.

Seriously, what are the "issues"? Do you know because I'd love someone to tell me.

Steering back on topic, I don't see how a Boston affiliation could be bad for any of the New England ECHL clubs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If there are any issues in Providence, it's not on Boston's end.

Seriously, what are the "issues"? Do you know because I'd love someone to tell me.

Steering back on topic, I don't see how a Boston affiliation could be bad for any of the New England ECHL clubs.

WELL, Worcester or Manchester don't seem like there all that interested in that, either, tbth, and Worcester likely talked to them...

as to the other question, you're the one who said the relationship is "strained" but you never said why the relationship is strained, uh, the Bruins have a lot of say in Providence, and always have had, independent of who actually owns the franchise....

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
as to the other question, you're the one who said the relationship is "strained" but you never said why the relationship is strained, uh, the Bruins have a lot of say in Providence, and always have had, independent of who actually owns the franchise....

No, I didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad