Prospect Info: Portland Pirates AHL - Arizona Coyotes Minor League Affiliate III

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Game 3:

Late goal by Wathier extends the series for the Pirates
By Chris Roy | Updated: April 27, 2015

PORTLAND – It’s almost like time stopped for Francis Wathier.

Wathier tallied the game-winning goal in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal with mere seconds on the game clock to extend the season for the Portland Pirates with a 3-2 victory over the Manchester Monarchs in front of 2,660 at the Cross Insurance Arena in downtown Portland.

The Pirates still trail the best-of-five series two-games-to-one with Game 4 scheduled for Thursday at the CIA in Portland at 7:00pm.

READ MORE>>>>

Injuries abound, but the Pirates gutted one out and the team lives to see another day. Bolduc and Dziurzynski were out due to injury... They join a heedy list of players already in the infirmary... Hodgman etc. Gaudet was back in the lineup after missing Game 2 to be with his family after a death of a loved one. He's simply an amazing player and it won't be too long before he is in the NHL.

Lines:
Samuelsson-Dvorak-Shinnimin
Perlini-Gaudet-Szwarz
Selleck-Wathier-Lessio
Lane-Dauphin-Miller

Reese-Gormley
McNeill-Dahlbeck
Hanley-P. Samuelsson

McKenna was not even dressed. He was a healthy scratch as David Leggio was the backup to Domingue who played outstanding. He's the man in net on Thursday. He has to be the guy until the end.

Portland took to Manchester, hitting, finishing their checks and really getting the puck on net. That said, the Monarchs still outshot Portland 17-9 in the first period with the game tied 1-1.... It seem that we were heading to OT - a beat writer's worst nightmare - when Shinnimin made a fantastic play and Wathier finished. Game 4 will be interesting. If Portland can win... I'm not sure what that will do to the psyche of the Monarchs.

This was Ray Edward's first playoff win as head coach
It was the Pirates first playoff win under the Coyotes affiliation
It was the Coyotes' AHL affiliate's first victory since 2008
It was the Pirates first win against the Monarchs in the postseason.

It was a night of first....

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
In what way?

Thanks for all of these posts btw wildcat
He's going to score goal at the AHL level and he'll be 1-A player in the minors, but his role with the Coyote especially how he's being used and just watching him in practice is going to be more as a 3rd line center. They'll try to convert him into a grinder or someone who will be expected to eat minutes in many different situations.

I don't envision him becoming some high-end goal scorer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They made fun of Portlands attendance numbers. They joked about last place pirates. Pittsburgh had some historical losing streak at some point. So did the Tampa Buccs I guess. The Portland Pirates are supposedly last in attendance over the last couple of years. Manchester pointed that out as a joke. That all of these pirates teams have been in last place before. Not really offensive. Not really funny. Just kind of dumb.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
They made fun of Portlands attendance numbers. They joked about last place pirates. Pittsburgh had some historical losing streak at some point. So did the Tampa Buccs I guess. The Portland Pirates are supposedly last in attendance over the last couple of years. Manchester pointed that out as a joke. That all of these pirates teams have been in last place before. Not really offensive. Not really funny. Just kind of dumb.

Sounds like Manchester and Portland both have a lot in common with their respective parent clubs, haha.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
So did the Tampa Buccs I guess.

OT (what good is it being 50 if you can't tell old stories?) but yeah, when they started in the mid 70s the Buccaneers went 0-14 their first year, and started the second 0-12. Game 13 was in New Orleans, where the Saints had been quoted on how disgraceful it would be to be the first team to lose to Tampa Bay. So, as the Bucs were running out the clock up two TDs, apparently the entire bench was jumping up and down chanting across the field "it's a disgrace! it's a disgrace!"

You guys would have liked their coach, John McKay. He was probably the first to use this line, when a reporter asked him "coach, what about the execution of your offense?" he replied "I'm all for it.":laugh:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
It wasn't the point of being last in attendance.... It was unprofessional to do in the first place. They throw out those numbers like people in Portland don't go to the game and that its a bad hockey market and in reality its about a whole lot more than that.

It's about previous ownership and the BS that he pulled over his tenure in Portland and how it took a major toll on the team. Ron Cain and Brad Church have done a really good job at rebuilding relationships and mending fences, but some of the things that happened can't be fixed overnight.

It's about how ticket numbers are reported.... The Pirates use to give out large number of comp tickets, but they stopped because they were so devalued they weren't worth buying. People knew they could get them for free. That's had an effect, but yet the team finished the regular season selling more tickets than they ever sold under the last ownership group. What's even more ironic. Portland finished 28th in the league in comps. Manchester was 3rd. Portland sold more tickets than Manchester, but yet looking at "reported attendance" numbers will show Portland was last.

I'm not saying Portland is perfect. Far from it, but at least before you do something like that. Think about the consequences and apply context to it first. Everyone is ok with the fun natured rivalry trashing talking, but to do that is just ridiculous.

What's worse is more than 70 fans from Portland came to game and I really feel for them because they spent their money to buy Monarchs' tixs and they were embarrassed because of someone's ignorance.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
OT (what good is it being 50 if you can't tell old stories?) but yeah, when they started in the mid 70s the Buccaneers went 0-14 their first year, and started the second 0-12. Game 13 was in New Orleans, where the Saints had been quoted on how disgraceful it would be to be the first team to lose to Tampa Bay. So, as the Bucs were running out the clock up two TDs, apparently the entire bench was jumping up and down chanting across the field "it's a disgrace! it's a disgrace!"

You guys would have liked their coach, John McKay. He was probably the first to use this line, when a reporter asked him "coach, what about the execution of your offense?" he replied "I'm all for it.":laugh:

That's hilarious! Monarchs fan here. We've been listening to your radio broadcasts of Games 1-3 because for some reason the Monarchs haven't had a feed for those games. The broadcasts have been tremendously entertaining. We're really feeling the rivalry between the two teams.

(Sorry about the Crescenzi and Gratton incidents. Those were out of line. We fans enjoy hating on Dziurzynski, though.)

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
That's hilarious! Monarchs fan here. We've been listening to your radio broadcasts of Games 1-3 because for some reason the Monarchs haven't had a feed for those games. The broadcasts have been tremendously entertaining. We're really feeling the rivalry between the two teams.

(Sorry about the Crescenzi and Gratton incidents. Those were out of line. We fans enjoy hating on Dziurzynski, though.)
I'm staying out of what's being said on the radio... That has nothing to do with me nor am I affiliated with any of those shenanigans. I simply am putting a reason out their why I didn't like the in-game promo and context as to why it was poorly thought out.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I'm staying out of what's being said on the radio... That has nothing to do with me nor am I affiliated with any of those shenanigans. I simply am putting a reason out their why I didn't like the in-game promo and context as to why it was poorly thought out.

Yeah, I agree. Not a funny joke.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Pirates up 3-0

Hank 2 assists, along w/Gormley

From the radio feed, all you hear is all the chances Dvorak creates with Hank.

A 19yo jumping up and centering the first line in his professional debut. Any doubt that might have been there that Dvorak was just a product of Marner we can forget about I suppose.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hank looks great. Skating looks very good, not good for a big guy, good.

Also gaudet in the D zone is outstanding.

Last edited:

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Congrats to Brendan Perlini on his first pro goal from Dauphin

This game is Perlini approved

brendan_perlini_niagara_icedogs.jpg

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
5-0 ?? Astonishing result against the #1 ranked team. Especially after going down by 11-4 in the first 2 games of this series.

Sounds like Domingue really shone as well. A very interesting team for us with a lot of top prospects but also guys with NHL experience - Dahlbeck, Domingue, Lessio, Szwarz, Gormley and the Samuelssons.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
That Perlini goal was pretty sexy, great hands and shot in up close.

Also, I think Gaudet is gonna be a real good bottom 6 center

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
5-0 ?? Astonishing result against the #1 ranked team. Especially after going down by 11-4 in the first 2 games of this series.

Sounds like Domingue really shone as well. A very interesting team for us with a lot of top prospects but also guys with NHL experience - Dahlbeck, Domingue, Lessio, Szwarz, Gormley and the Samuelssons.

Dahlbeck looks awesome. I like philsam also, seems like a quality depth guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->