Popularity ranking of NY sports

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I think the Mets over the Giants, NY is a baseball town
Thx, Kirk. That's exactly what i figured. But it's tough to swallow seeing NYR in 6th despite being by far the funnest team to watch in the NHL and are 1st overall and have The Bread Man, Igor and Rempe.

I thought the NYR might've exploded in the NY scene and became a sensation in NY, but i guess not.

It's still hockey, so i cant be so shocked.

But i've always wondered if NYR were maybe 3rd and much more popular in NY back in 94 with messier and that cup after 54 yrs. oh well...

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
What would happen if the Rangers win another 30 years after the big curse-breaker in 94 - is mass bandwagoning in addition to all of the Rangers fans and fickle “fans” of other local teams jumping on.

You will have people all over your town acting like they’ve been watching since 87 and they don’t even know how to pronounce Igor’s name. But that’s in addition to very large NY market that encompasses 3 states

Even two seasons ago when the Rangers went to the conf final and before that in 2014, each round they get closer to the Cup they gain more and more casual fans and people from the city who become interested because everyone starts talking about it.

The difference is the NY Metro area is a gigantic population so if something goes “viral”, it reaches millions. It may not be measured as much in parade form because we are now post 9-11 (although it would still be huge). But this city and many surrounding areas would be hockey crazed if the Rangers put themselves in a legit shot to bring the city another Cup

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Even though the Rangers are like 5th-6th in terms of teams within this region, the overall number is higher than many fans of MLB/NFL/NBA teams in other cities. The MY metropolitan area is a huge region.

sonofsamson

Dec 22, 2011
It helps that their team in Pit has done a lot of winning. Never forget that they were very close to losing the franchise when they didn’t have a generational player.
My in laws are from Pittsburgh so I have been traveling there extensively for the past 30 years. A lot of hardcore fans that are overshadowed by a tsunami of casual fans...think neighborhood moms in malkin t shirts that you avoid talking hockey with because it is just so painful and you want to be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad