OT: Popularity of CIS Hockey in Ottawa region

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Can't seem to wrap my head around why the Carleton Ravens, and CIS hockey as a whole, receive zero coverage in the Capital region.

Obviously the U of O team garnered national headlines last year for their debauchery in TBay and consequent suspension, but why is it that CIS hockey receives no attention?

Top 10 CIS teams' rosters are littered with former Major Junior and, in some cases, ECHL (and even the odd AHL) players.

Why is it that this level of hockey is so under-reported and under-attended?

I think of the Carleton Ravens men's team, which started the year at #7 or #8 IIRC in the CIS Top 10, and doesn't sell out a 600-seat arena.

If you look at the roster, there's guys like Mike McNamee (Sherbrooke - QMJHL), Joe Pleckaitis (Ottawa - OHL), etc. that have serious major junior experience.

Where are the fans // where is the coverage?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Can't seem to wrap my head around why the Carleton Ravens, and CIS hockey as a whole, receive zero coverage in the Capital region.

Obviously the U of O team garnered national headlines last year for their debauchery in TBay and consequent suspension, but why is it that CIS hockey receives no attention?

Top 10 CIS teams' rosters are littered with former Major Junior and, in some cases, ECHL (and even the odd AHL) players.

Why is it that this level of hockey is so under-reported and under-attended?

I think of the Carleton Ravens men's team, which started the year at #7 or #8 IIRC in the CIS Top 10, and doesn't sell out a 600-seat arena.

If you look at the roster, there's guys like Mike McNamee (Sherbrooke - QMJHL), Joe Pleckaitis (Ottawa - OHL), etc. that have serious major junior experience.

Where are the fans // where is the coverage?

For better or worse, fans don't seem to be interested in seeing players who have no family ties and no future in the NHL. And for the most part, CIS players don't. The occasional player gets a training camp invite (for instance, Ravens D Matt Stanisz got an invite to Toronto's camp a few years back) but they don't tend to stick around.

Although for the record, I entirely agree. The CIS is a very entertaining product, and I have some pretty fond memories of watching Brandon McLean dictate the pace in a few of the feistier Ravens-UQTR games.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would agree that CIS hockey is an undervalued gem. It is absolutely terrific hockey, a step up from NCAA in that the players are generally a bit older and more experienced in CIS. Our faithful moderator above has nailed it pretty well, though, in terms of the lack of interest. Only friends, family and true hockey diehards seem interested in it. Maybe a few more exchange series with prominent NCAA programs might goose interest a bit, as Carleton does with basketball...

GoodGoodnotBad

May 11, 2013
Winnipeg/Ottawa/Moncton
I was wondering the same thing. I went to UNB, which has generally done well over the last few years and the interest in CIS hockey there is much greater than here in Ottawa. There does seem to be alot of interest in Ravens basketball or Gee Gee's football, so maybe when the Raven's start winning more interest will come?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'd rather watch the best of the best (NHL) or up and coming stars (OHL).

I think too many people see the NCAA and compare it to the CIS.

When really the OHL is closer to the NCAA.

It's also worth noting that the American South has traditions from highschool->college and the best players who move to the NFL come from that path. Whereas the NHL it's your local hockey association -> Major Juniors (CHL - QMJHL, OHL, WHL) -> AHL/Europe/NHL.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If you're a Carleton student or alumni then I would expect you'd have interest in their hockey team. I've always had trouble wrapping my head around the idea that someone with no connection to a University should somehow develop an affiliation with their sports teams.

I suppose that, as a fan of the game of hockey, you might want to go and check out a CIS game between two universities that you have no connection to. I have no doubt that it's pretty good quality. I don't understand becoming a 'fan' however.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A lot of it is Canadian culture as a whole. most University athletic programs don't have much of a fanbase, unless they are perennial championship calibre.

I would love to see Canada embrace more of the US model of highschool, college and university teams getting better press and support. Giving our schools a bit more of a profile at all levels would be great to see.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
A lot of it is Canadian culture as a whole. most University athletic programs don't have much of a fanbase, unless they are perennial championship calibre.

I wouldn't call it Canadian culture. There are, what?, over 200 countries on the face of the earth. There's one country I can think of where people really provide any attention to university sports. (There's the Boat Race between Cambridge and Oxford, but that's kind of a one-off thing.)

I consider it 'normal' culture, but hey if people want to support some university they didn't attend (and is perhaps even in some distant city they've never set foot in), then go crazy. I just find it odd.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For better or worse, fans don't seem to be interested in seeing players who have no family ties and no future in the NHL. And for the most part, CIS players don't. The occasional player gets a training camp invite (for instance, Ravens D Matt Stanisz got an invite to Toronto's camp a few years back) but they don't tend to stick around.

Although for the record, I entirely agree. The CIS is a very entertaining product, and I have some pretty fond memories of watching Brandon McLean dictate the pace in a few of the feistier Ravens-UQTR games.

Carleton has lots of local ties to the team actually, they have done a good job in keeping plenty of local talent.

Cory Durocher (Fla draft), Patrick Killeen (Penguins draft), Nick Duhn, Owen Werthner, Tim Billingsley, Mike McNamee, Mitch Porowski, Damian Cross, Mitch Zion, Joey West and Francis Dupuis who led the Pembrook Lumber Kings to a National Championship at the Royal Bank Cup.

This is one of the best teams in the country, its mind blowing how no one goes to the games. All of those players played in either Major Jr, transferred from D1 programs, or came from pro.

I was wondering the same thing. I went to UNB, which has generally done well over the last few years and the interest in CIS hockey there is much greater than here in Ottawa. There does seem to be alot of interest in Ravens basketball or Gee Gee's football, so maybe when the Raven's start winning more interest will come?

Well they finished first place and went to Nationals last year....

I'd rather watch the best of the best (NHL) or up and coming stars (OHL).

I think too many people see the NCAA and compare it to the CIS.

When really the OHL is closer to the NCAA.

CIS is right on par with both those leagues. Carleton has beaten both St Lawrence and Clarkson in recent years. Not as much top end talent but they play way better systems than the OHL teams and the players are men. Carleton would route the current 67's team.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Carleton has lots of local ties to the team actually, they have done a good job in keeping plenty of local talent.

Cory Durocher (Fla draft), Patrick Killeen (Penguins draft), Nick Duhn, Owen Werthner, Tim Billingsley, Mike McNamee, Mitch Porowski, Damian Cross, Mitch Zion, Joey West and Francis Dupuis who led the Pembrook Lumber Kings to a National Championship at the Royal Bank Cup.

This is one of the best teams in the country, its mind blowing how no one goes to the games. All of those players played in either Major Jr, transferred from D1 programs, or came from pro.

Remember watching West and Porowski when I was there. Actually interviewed Billingsley when he first signed! But when I said "don't stick around," I meant at the NHL level. You're definitely right that a lot of them stick around in the Ottawa area.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It is absolutely terrific hockey, a step up from NCAA in that the players are generally a bit older and more experienced in CIS.

It's not a step up from NCAA hockey in almost any sense of the word.

The players are older and have more experience, but that's not necessarily something that goes into the "plus" column.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Mitch Zion, Durocher, Werthner...all players I got to see here playing in the CCHL. Zion was bananas for Cornwall. Shame it didn't work out for him in the NCAA. Durocher on Carleton Place. Werthner with the Jr. Sens. IIRC anyway.

16w

Jun 23, 2003
I would love to see Canada embrace more of the US model of highschool, college and university teams getting better press and support. Giving our schools a bit more of a profile at all levels would be great to see.

...and end up accepting or graduating students who can barely string a coherent sentence together for the sake of the team?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mitch Zion, Durocher, Werthner...all players I got to see here playing in the CCHL. Zion was bananas for Cornwall. Shame it didn't work out for him in the NCAA. Durocher on Carleton Place. Werthner with the Jr. Sens. IIRC anyway.

Durocher played 4 years in the ohl drafted by florida. He played his overage year in Gloucester and Nepean knowing he was heading to Carleton wanted to stay home. Werthner played in the Q after the CJ for Pat Roy in Quebec actually.

Zion, Cross, and Lomas all converted from NCAA div 1.

They are a very good team, anything less than Nationals and this year is a disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad