Pop up at bottom of page ......

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I highly recommend sponsorship as well. Mine lapsed and I haven't been able to afford to renew because I burn through an entire year of anti-virus subscription in a single visit to this damn site. In all seriousness, I am just lazy and haven't renewed. But my Antivirus does work overtime every time I visit as a non-sponsor. I have 8 messages of actions its blocked just this session...

"application detected - legitimate software that can be used to cause damage", "Download blocked", "malicious web page", "malicious link", etc..

Edit: Ok, just renewed. Put my money where my mouth was. And lo and behold, my anti-virus/ad blocker breathed a sigh of relief.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It makes the site unusable. There must be 100s of times I was typing a post, and the pop-up enters the frame and I click it instead of the next letter.

It’s cut down my traffic on the site considerably. I finally paid for sponsorship, but I think it’s a shitty business decision to allow those malignant ads on the site. If it’s a deliberate choice to harangue people into sponsorship, it’s even worse.

Reactions: Blueston and tomin

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ahem. Certain free blocking software does it's magic.
Don't ban me Easton.
EB22 couldn't care less.

giphy.gif

Reactions: STL BLUES

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
.........what is this sponsorship option people keep talking about? I clicked around for like 5 minutes after reading this thread and can't find anything about becoming a sponsor.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The admins and mods here don't have any control over the sale or display of ads. There is an independent sales team that handles that, and it is not always possible for them to tell if an ad given to them for display is malicious or if it will somehow interfere with the functionality of the site before it is implemented. If you report unusually invasive or malicious ads in the support forum, the people in control of that are usually fairly responsive when bad ads are brought to their attention. They don't want the functionality of this site to be compromised anymore than we do.

I'm not going to preach any particular path when it comes to ad-blocking software, sponsorships, and the like. However, I will say that this is a managed site that depends on revenue (not to mention volunteers) to continue to exist, and ads/sponsorships are where that revenue comes from. You can contribute to that or not at your discretion, but someone has to or it all goes away...and that's a real possibility, not just some empty rhetoric. This site is definitely not swimming in revenue, and it has narrowly escaped being shut down before.

If you value this community, consider supporting it in some way...whether that's volunteering your time, paying a few dollars for a sponsorship, tolerating some ads, or even just being a good poster who contributes to the discussion in a positive manner. It all helps in one way or another.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The admins and mods here don't have any control over the sale or display of ads. There is an independent sales team that handles that, and it is not always possible for them to tell if an ad given to them for display is malicious or if it will somehow interfere with the functionality of the site before it is implemented. If you report unusually invasive or malicious ads in the support forum, the people in control of that are usually fairly responsive when bad ads are brought to their attention. They don't want the functionality of this site to be compromised anymore than we do.

I'm not going to preach any particular path when it comes to ad-blocking software, sponsorships, and the like. However, I will say that this is a managed site that depends on revenue (not to mention volunteers) to continue to exist, and ads/sponsorships are where that revenue comes from. You can contribute to that or not at your discretion, but someone has to or it all goes away...and that's a real possibility, not just some empty rhetoric. This site is definitely not swimming in revenue, and it has narrowly escaped being shut down before.

If you value this community, consider supporting it in some way...whether that's volunteering your time, paying a few dollars for a sponsorship, tolerating some ads, or even just being a good poster who contributes to the discussion in a positive manner. It all helps in one way or another.
Makes sense. I went ahead and did it too.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Makes this site unusable.

Thanks
Use Firefox on your phone. Ever since I started using Firefox for iPhone, I have not received a single ad.

I do receive the cookies pop-up and once per day the Disable Ad Blocker pop-up.

Which I never disable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad