Poor SCF performances by All Stars

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
There is a lot of debating going on about Crosby's "poor" performance in the SCF (1-2-3 in 7 games), but I was trying to come with dominant players who had a great season up to the SCF, and then didnt match or surpass his previous play once in the Finals.

I dont want to hammer away at guys whose teams were swept or lost in 5 games (Bourque, Lindros etc).

So can anybody else think of players (100+points, Hart/Norris finalists etc) who were completely shut down in a 6 or 7 game SCF?

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
There is a lot of debating going on about Crosby's "poor" performance in the SCF (1-2-3 in 7 games), but I was trying to come with dominant players who had a great season up to the SCF, and then didnt match or surpass his previous play once in the Finals.

I dont want to hammer away at guys whose teams were swept or lost in 5 games (Bourque, Lindros etc).

So can anybody else think of players (100+points, Hart/Norris finalists etc) who were completely shut down in a 6 or 7 game SCF?

Do they have to have been 100+ point, Hart/Norris finalists the year of?

In the cases of Lindros and Bourque, it really only applied to Lindros. Bourque was fantastic in the finals for Boston, and still easily their best player. Lindros was nearly completely shut down.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
It was a sweep, but I'm still going to say Gretzky in the 1983 final against the Isles. Not completely shut down, but considering he was averaging almost 3 pts/game, it was a very disappointing performance. Smith was in his head.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Do they have to have been 100+ point, Hart/Norris finalists the year of?

In the cases of Lindros and Bourque, it really only applied to Lindros. Bourque was fantastic in the finals for Boston, and still easily their best player. Lindros was nearly completely shut down.

I'll agree about Lindros, although I would say that it had less to do with him "failing" and more to do with Lidstrom and Konstantinov playing some great defense.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I'll agree about Lindros, although I would say that it had less to do with him "failing" and more to do with Lidstrom and Konstantinov playing some great defense.

I would say the same about Crosby this year. It was not about him "Failing", rather excellent defensive checking from the Detroit Blueliners and Zetterberg. He was always dangerous on the ice.

However, the points were not there and that seems to be what the OP wanted.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1965 Mikita and Hull

1965 Stanley Cup Finals the Canadiens shutout the Blackhawks in games 2,5 and 7 at the Forum holding the great Chicago offense featuring Mikita, Hull, Pilote and Esposito scoreless.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I would say the same about Crosby this year. It was not about him "Failing", rather excellent defensive checking from the Detroit Blueliners and Zetterberg. He was always dangerous on the ice.

However, the points were not there and that seems to be what the OP wanted.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't call Crosby's performance poor by any stretch of the imagination but from a stats level I guess it was. They just decided who they were going to key on and stuck with it almost to a fault where everyone else was left wide open.

But to the OP, hmmm, Heatley all but disolved in the '07 finals. Alfie stepped up at least, but Heatley didn't and now he has the nerve to ask for a trade

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID

Crosby didn't have the points but he took the defensive attention away from teammates like Malkin and freed them up to score. Zetterberg played Crosby very tough. Points don't tell the whole story about what someone brings to the table.
In this years finals Hossa was the guy who jumps out at me. He did NOTHING to help his team. He was brutal to watch.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Howie Morenz -- 1930-31
5 Games - 1 Goal

Red Kelly -- 1955-56
5 Games - 1 Goal

Apps Syl -- 1938-39
5 Games - 1 Goal

Frank Nighbor -- 1920-21
5 Games - 1 AST

Bernie Geoffrion -- 1952-53
5 Games - 1 Goal

Last edited:

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
Chris Pronger sometimes looked like an AHL-player in the 2006 Finals. His performances were not "poor", but clearly worse than his earlier performances in those playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad