Poor play of #2 and #7

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
How long before fans start laying into them? Remember last year whgen Seabrook really never elevated his play till the playoffs? I do not think Q can tolerate a wait that long given the 82 game sked..for sure Seabrook is out ofd the Team canada consideration given his sloppy unfocused play,slack effort and poor d-zone reads to date.. YET amazingly after 13 games he is actually EVEN in the +/- stat...while KEITH sits at-2...as a pairing their play has been frustratingly way under par for our supposed #1 amd most expensive pairing ...How much longer can Q let them get away with such complacent play? And why did I hasve to start this thread...what is the matter with Blackhawks fans willing to accept such mediocrity without flocking to the boards to heap criticism when expectation demands a lot better from them? Look this TEAM has talent--but when ALL do not pull on the oars --not just on the odd night off which every player has--but for long stretches --like 13 games into the season--THEN something must be said ---and when it is several of the supposed vet core leaders who slack -then it is even less acceptable. #2 and #7 were putrid against Ottawa.... shame on them!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Poor play? hahahahaha

Is this a joke? They have been playing excellent minus a couple plays

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
One thing certain in my mind, is I don't want to see ever again, the Keith from 2011. The SC hangover was most apparent with his play back then. Last night he did make a bone head play on the PP goal by Mcarthur. He will always play a high risk type of game and rely on his hands and foot speed to bail him out if the gamble fails. I've learned to live with it. Neither of these guys will win a Norris but their play isn't nearly as bad as HF50 likes to repeat. Same goes with Kane. All of these players will make 3 or 4 good, sometimes excellent plays, before they make a bad one.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Keith I think has been good overall. Seabs, both this yeah and last year looks sluggish, slow to react. Far from bad though.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
How long before fans start laying into them? Remember last year whgen Seabrook really never elevated his play till the playoffs? I do not think Q can tolerate a wait that long given the 82 game sked..for sure Seabrook is out ofd the Team canada consideration given his sloppy unfocused play,slack effort and poor d-zone reads to date.. YET amazingly after 13 games he is actually EVEN in the +/- stat...while KEITH sits at-2...as a pairing their play has been frustratingly way under par for our supposed #1 amd most expensive pairing ...How much longer can Q let them get away with such complacent play? And why did I hasve to start this thread...what is the matter with Blackhawks fans willing to accept such mediocrity without flocking to the boards to heap criticism when expectation demands a lot better from them? Look this TEAM has talent--but when ALL do not pull on the oars --not just on the odd night off which every player has--but for long stretches --like 13 games into the season--THEN something must be said ---and when it is several of the supposed vet core leaders who slack -then it is even less acceptable. #2 and #7 were putrid against Ottawa.... shame on them!

Did you know we have the 4th most points in the NHL in spite of not playing our best? Did you know we have the 4th most points in the league, even though every game we play is like the Super Bowl to opposing teams and we are playing at least 4 rookies a game? Did you know we won 2 cups in 4 years? Did you realize how much Keith and Seabs have contributed to this team in thier careers and with a short summer deserve some slack if they are not perfect?

Were you a Blackhawks fan before the Toews/Kane era when we pretty much sucked every year? What were you saying then? In spite of not playing our best this season there have only been 2 games out of 13 we didn't get a point. Teams would die for our record right now, and lots of good teams are looking up at us in spite of our mediocre play. Now you are on the case of 2 players who if we didn't have them we would have exactly ZERO cups the last 40 years. I don't know what is harder, trying to read something you write when you don't know how to hit the return button and space paragraphs or actually trying to make sense of your beyond over the top negativity.

Nothingman*

Keith has made one stinker gamble each of the last two games that ended up in goals. Seabs is as good as he is going to get it seems from the last two seasons. I think Keith will puck it up. I was worried about him this year when I heard Sharp beat him out for the fitness test in camp. That had me concerned for the first quarter of the year of Keith.

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
One thing certain in my mind, is I don't want to see ever again, the Keith from 2011. The SC hangover was most apparent with his play back then. Last night he did make a bone head play on the PP goal by Mcarthur. He will always play a high risk type of game and rely on his hands and foot speed to bail him out if the gamble fails. I've learned to live with it. Neither of these guys will win a Norris but their play isn't nearly as bad as HF50 likes to repeat. Same goes with Kane. All of these players will make 3 or 4 good, sometimes excellent plays, before they make a bad one.

I always suspected his SC hangover play was awful because of the puck to the mouth. He spent that entire year playing with a ton of hesitancy and seemed to be more than willing to dish the puck around in lieu of taking his own shots. After being down 3-0 to Vancouver in '11 something switched on and he's played fine ever since. At least in my opinion.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I love Keith and Seabrook but at times they can really make some bonehead plays - more precisely giveaways in their own zone and errand passes that lead to turnovers.

The way I look at it tho - is that players cannot be perfect and they will make mistakes, however both Keith and Seabrook makeup for their mistakes when it really matters....

They prevent a lot more goals than what their mistakes a lot.

I think at times both get a little to comfortable playing the puck and that can get them into problems real quick..... At least they acknowledge this and seem to bounce back from their ego and get back into the game after they make a mistake.

At the same time I don't believe our forwards and defense are always on the same page at the same time and that can lead to problems.... However that rarely lasts longer than a period because Q knows how to fix the said problem(s)...

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Is this thread a joke? They're still one of the best pairings in the league, but you have to find something to complain about I suppose.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

It really amazes me you look at guys who've been leaders in this organization for 8 years and won two cups and go on a rant about the last 13 games. I would respect your frustration more if you put the last 13 games into a little bit of context.

And of course Seabrook elevated his game in the playoffs. The whole league elevates their game come playoff time. Have you noticed a difference in the pace, physicality, intensity, and style? It's called PLAYOFF HOCKEY for a reason.

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012
Man stop being so pessimistic, in the last day or so you've said Kane, Keith, and Seabs are all playing bad. Everybody has off games.

helicon1

Jan 4, 2010

That's exactly how I see it with Keith (less so with the other two as I think Kane especially has been uncharacteristically sloppy). When he does screw up it tends to look pretty awful but he makes so many of those aggressive/risky plays on a game to game basis (offensive zone pinches, those really aggressive neutral zone breakups, the overly cute no look passes in his own end, etc.) that he's bound to look silly every now and again. It's more amazing that he guesses right as often as he does or is at least able to recover. Even in his worst games of the past few years, he does so many other good things that I can never give him any worse than a mulligan. Certainly wouldn't want any other d-man but him playing that game though.

And I think Seabrook has actually looked a little better this year than last regular season. Like last year though, his game is still way too casual.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Were gonna miss those two when they're gone. You want to predict when the hawks will no longer be a top 10ish team? In all likelyhood it's when those two decline. Appreciate them while they're here and consistently being one of the top pairs in all of the NHL.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Keith has been fine, still breaking up plays many number 1s don't have a chance to break up. Seabrook hasn't been that great, except for short stretches here and there, since 2010. The first pair is fine.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Both have had their moments in our end, which have resulted in GA. Keith isn't playing quite up to par, and Seabrook is better than last year, but still not at his 2011-12 level.

I'll be worried about these two if their current play carries over to the playoffs. They haven't been as good as they could be, but are still one of the best pairings out there.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Both need to compete much harder. ..putting in more try and hustle and urgency will get their game back to normal..but so far it looks like compl!acency has gripped them...not acceptable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad