Line Combos: Poor Morgan Reilly. A great player without a partner

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Jacob Trouba a pending RFA would look real nice paired with Rielly.
What asset do we have that could get him. Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Tavares are not for sale.

A deal around nylander+ for him isnt that bad value but when you consider the jets needs they wont pull the trigger. They need a sure fire second line center not nylander who will be attempting to bounce back as a first line young star next year at wing.

Also unfortunately from reports it seems trouba is set on teams like the rangers, Panthers, bolts, or red wings. He wants to stay in the east with an American team.

If he was willing to sign with us say a 8 year deal at 7 million I would pull the plug on this deal

Marner+dermott for trouba+connor

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
What asset do we have that could get him. Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Tavares are not for sale.

A deal around nylander+ for him isnt that bad value but when you consider the jets needs they wont pull the trigger. They need a sure fire second line center not nylander who will be attempting to bounce back as a first line young star next year at wing.

Also unfortunately from reports it seems trouba is set on teams like the rangers, Panthers, bolts, or red wings. He wants to stay in the east with an American team.

If he was willing to sign with us say a 8 year deal at 7 million I would pull the plug on this deal

Ew. No.

The difference between Marner and Connor is and will be greater than the difference between Trouba and Dermott.

Reactions: NHL WAR

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Since you mentioned the reports about Trouba wanting to play in the United States I wouldn't even waste time looking into trading for him.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Since 'most likely' the likes of Parayko, Pesce, Pietro, Hamilton are probably off the table, we will have to look at Josh Manson of the ducks to fill the position.

If we could do a deal involving Nylander and possibly more if necessary for Manson + Ritchie, I'd be on board. We get 2 useful players while saving almost 1.5 million. Use that 1.5 (maybe more needed) to resign Hainsey to ideally be the 3rd pairing Right D.

Usually I don't support the quality for quantity trades, but I've seen several post seasons from Nylander (Marlies included) and I believe he will never be a big game performer in the NHL playoffs. International is different, its not as physical of a grind imo.

Reilly - Mason
Muzzin - ?????
Dermott - Hainsey

I put ???? As Ideally I'd like someone better the Zaitsev in there although it wouldnt be the worst thing if hes on the team. You could also use the 1.5 in a trade of Connor Brown for Luke Clendening to help cope with his Cap hit as we desperately need a faceoff man on the PK.

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
if Muzzin isn't resigned to a acceptable contract then that trade is a all out fail.
Signing a 31 year old who is already starting to look on the slower side to a long term contract will hurt us dearly. Doesnt matter if we lose the trade, we will avoid making a big mistake.

If we can sign him to a 2-3 year deal im all for it...But he will get 4-6 year offers if he has a good year.

We have Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren who can fill out our 2nd pairing...We dont need Muzz longterm, we just need to get a top pair RHD who is on the younger side that we can add to the core.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Signing a 31 year old who is already starting to look on the slower side to a long term contract will hurt us dearly. Doesnt matter if we lose the trade, we will avoid making a big mistake.

If we can sign him to a 2-3 year deal im all for it...But he will get 4-6 year offers if he has a good year.

We have Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren who can fill out our 2nd pairing...We dont need Muzz longterm, we just need to get a top pair RHD who is on the younger side that we can add to the core.

In a way, I'd hope that Dubas was interested and hopeful of eventually re-signing Muzzin when he made that trade. I'd probably be hesitant if Muzzin was looking for more than a four year deal though.

That top pair RHD that's on the younger side might have to come from drafting and development, unless Dubas wants to take his chances in trade as Buffalo did in acquiring Montour, and one's opinion on where he does and/or will slot in there is debatable.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
In a way, I'd hope that Dubas was interested and hopeful of eventually re-signing Muzzin when he made that trade. I'd probably be hesitant if Muzzin was looking for more than a four year deal though.

That top pair RHD that's on the younger side might have to come from drafting and development, unless Dubas wants to take his chances in trade as Buffalo did in acquiring Montour, and one's opinion on where he does and/or will slot in there is debatable.
I would say we will definitely be making a trade. Kapanen, Johnsson, Zaitsev and Brown are definitely nice trade chips to have. Manson would be an amazing add as would Trouba or Ekblad. The more i think about though the one team that really needs right wingers which is what we have a surplus of is Edmonton. They badly want speedy wingers with skill and we have that in spades. Adam Larsson could be a very good fit given his age and current contract...His style of play is exactly what we need. Brown + Kap could definitely land Larsson.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like they will sign Marner to a 3 year and will be able to squeeze a guy like Braun in for draft picks. The next 3 years will be all in

Going all in for a 3 year window would be dumb IMO.

A lot of things can go wrong in the playoffs that the leafs have no control over.

The key is maintaining a very large window. 10-15 years.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Honestly I think Dermott is going to be the answer here, they've looked good as a pairing and Dermott seems much more comfortable on his off side than any other LHD we have. For some reason (probably his injury and injury-affected playoffs, maybe some overshadowing by Sandin/Liljegren's performance) we seem to be sleeping on Dermott, but he is still profiling as a very likely top pairing dman based on his NHL results. Tougher competition will hurt his results some, but they are so good that they can absorb a big decline and still be really good.

If Muzzin-Zaitsev holds up as a 2nd pairing, I'm not worried about the top 4 next year. The bottom pairing might be a little more rickety, surprised we let Oz walk
Dermott was horrible on the right side this playoffs playing with Gardiner. Dermott struggled badly getting pucks off the wall on his weak side as well as keeping pucks in the ozone. He is not the answer at all.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

you'd think the GM would know what type of dollars and term Muzzin will demand, if he walks the trades a fail, if he's signed to a bad contract in either/or dollars and term the trades a fail. Chances are the trade will favor LA when all is said and done, barring the Leafs making it out of the 1st round let alone winning anything else.

Reactions: Buds17

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
you'd think the GM would know what type of dollars and term Muzzin will demand, if he walks the trades a fail, if he's signed to a bad contract in either/or dollars and term the trades a fail. Chances are the trade will favor LA when all is said and done, barring the Leafs making it out of the 1st round let alone winning anything else.
At least Dubas made the trade to improve their defense. In 2018 some Leafs fans complained when Lamoriello did not trade their 1st round pick that year and more for Ryan McDonagh.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Dermott was horrible on the right side this playoffs playing with Gardiner. Dermott struggled badly getting pucks off the wall on his weak side as well as keeping pucks in the ozone. He is not the answer at all.
While this very well could be the case it should be noted he was playing injured(shoulder messed up and just had surgery). He played with muzzin before the injury on the right side and looked fantastic. Will need to look at him on the right side again once he is back from the injury.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
While this very well could be the case it should be noted he was playing injured(shoulder messed up and just had surgery). He played with muzzin before the injury on the right side and looked fantastic. Will need to look at him on the right side again once he is back from the injury.
He struggled on the right side before being injured for the same reason I said. He was playing a sheltered 3rd pair and still struggled getting pucks off the wall and got beat wide as well. I like him on his strong side as he is far more effective.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He struggled on the right side before being injured for the same reason I said. He was playing a sheltered 3rd pair and still struggled getting pucks off the wall and got beat wide as well. I like him on his strong side as he is far more effective.
We will need one of muzzin/rielly/dermott to play on their off side. These are our 3 best defenders. Rielly is a top 10 defender who with a repeat of this season cracks the top 5. Muzzin is a top 30ish defender. Dermott is a 4/5 defender but can show rapid growth. Sucks that all 3 of them are LHD. Hopefully Babcock is able to pair up muzzin-rielly and let them have training camp to work as a pair. Let dermott play with zaitsev on his strong side and hope for good results. Hoping we can get a rhd this offseason to fix up our defense. Dubas may have said some pleasant things about our backend but he must realize how crappy it will be next year with no roster upgrades. Sacrifice wingers and fix the backend.

Reactions: diceman934

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
There is a chance Ristolainen could be on the move...That would be the perfect top pairing RHD on a great contract.

Adam Larsson could be a very good option who would be cheaper than Risto.

Spurgeon is another great option but he only has a year left on his deal and could still have a pretty hefty cost.

Manson, Ekblad, Trouba and Pesce are all great options but it doesnt seem like any of those teams would be particularly interested in moving those guys except for Trouba who apparently doesnt want to play in Canada.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
There is a chance Ristolainen could be on the move...That would be the perfect top pairing RHD on a great contract.

Adam Larsson could be a very good option who would be cheaper than Risto.

Spurgeon is another great option but he only has a year left on his deal and could still have a pretty hefty cost.

Manson, Ekblad, Trouba and Pesce are all great options but it doesnt seem like any of those teams would be particularly interested in moving those guys except for Trouba who apparently doesnt want to play in Canada.

Would love to get Ristolainen or Larsson

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would say we will definitely be making a trade. Kapanen, Johnsson, Zaitsev and Brown are definitely nice trade chips to have. Manson would be an amazing add as would Trouba or Ekblad. The more i think about though the one team that really needs right wingers which is what we have a surplus of is Edmonton. They badly want speedy wingers with skill and we have that in spades. Adam Larsson could be a very good fit given his age and current contract...His style of play is exactly what we need. Brown + Kap could definitely land Larsson.

On the surface, it sounds tough to subtract two known RW NHLers and replace them with two rookies. However, it could be doable with Marner and Nylander ahead of them on the depth chart. Two full seasons left on Larsson's contract. You could be on to something here.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Dermott also needed shoulder surgery. It’s fair to say he was nowhere near 100%

Reactions: thewave

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Going all in for a 3 year window would be dumb IMO.

A lot of things can go wrong in the playoffs that the leafs have no control over.

The key is maintaining a very large window. 10-15 years.

They will still be able to sign their young guys after 3, they just will have to get rid of guys like Kadri and might have to find another goalie since Andersen will likely get a raise

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
At least Dubas made the trade to improve their defense. In 2018 some Leafs fans complained when Lamoriello did not trade their 1st round pick that year and more for Ryan McDonagh.
I think everyone would agree that a bad trade is far worse than no trade at all. Short term, Muzzin helps, but the 1st and Grunstrum could end up being something they will regret trading long term if Muzzin is here for a cup of coffee or is resigned and fades fast like so many 30+ D men do.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think everyone would agree that a bad trade is far worse than no trade at all. Short term, Muzzin helps, but the 1st and Grunstrum could end up being something they will regret trading long term if Muzzin is here for a cup of coffee or is resigned and fades fast like so many 30+ D men do.
Lol so the team should only build the team through the draft regardless of what stage they are in..

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

We have Rielly Dermott Sandin Borgman and Rosen who are cheaper. Why would we keep him?

He was a piece to bridge Gardiner leaving and Sandin being ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->