Poor defensive play of Gaudreau-Monahan line holding Flames back

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm have been averaging 19-20 minutes a game. I believe fatigue enters into the picture to a degree. They are collectively minus 2 despite all the point they've racked up. And they're the only ones on the team that are minus players. This tells me they've been a bit of a train wreck when it comes to playing defense. So I'd cut back their ice first and even out the load with the other three lines. If that doesn't work, I'd contemplate this:

Tkachuck/Monahan/ Lindholm
Gaudreau/Backlund/Frolik
Neal/Bennett/Czarnik
Dube/Jankowski/Ryan

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The fix is easy AF: Put your four best centers at playing center at center.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Neal
Lindholm-Dube-Monahan
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik/Frolik
Ryan-Jankowski-Czarnik/Hathaway
Except the article goes on to discuss the fact that, in spite of a good start, Dube is struggling pretty badly over the past few games as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lindy's a really good defensive player.
That being said, when the first line is bogged down in their own end, it's still a lot of cause for concern. Essentially it's Lindholm and the D (if we have Gio or Hanifin out) that are responsible for picking up the defensive slack. It's tough when two guys don't really know what they're doing out there.

Monahan to me, so far, has been the biggest disappointment in terms of a total product standpoint. I know the guy has 8 points in 9 games... but we're like one of the highest scoring teams in the league and he's our 1C. I thought the way he was trending last year, plus those injuries, would of had him as a completely new player this year. He seems more like his Hartley days self, than what we saw last year even. Like, making bad decisions in the defensive end all night, soft on the boards and retrieving no pucks at all.

Last year, I was told by a few vocal (jabrone) posters, that "Monahan looks bad out there defensively because he has to carry Ferland AND Gaudreau"; now it looks like Lindholm's carrying two bloated carcasses out there.

I think Calgary's a good team. I still think there's a lot of room to grow. I think the chances against will normalize soon enough. Lots of mental mistakes still happening nightly. All that being said, I think two bad games at this time of year (where it accounts fr 20%+ of your season so far) against two teams you took very lightly really skew numbers.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
upload_2018-10-25_11-19-49.png

This is for all that have played at least 75 minutes

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm borrowing this from Resolute 14 on the other site but it counters some of the lunacy in this thread very well. OKG you need to drop your Monahan hate. Bennett as our first line centre? I think you want the flames to go for Jack Hughes. I would like to see more bennett-tkachuk though.
Anyways, Monahan has played some bad games this season, yesterday in particular, but he has the ability to be a top center in the league.
Last year wasn't a problem. Though those numbers were boosted by having Gio-Hamilton as a pair.

The issue is this year that line has been scored on like 6-7 times at 5v5. That's atrocious and they're actually getting outplayed 5v5.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm have been averaging 19-20 minutes a game. I believe fatigue enters into the picture to a degree. They are collectively minus 2 despite all the point they've racked up. And they're the only ones on the team that are minus players. This tells me they've been a bit of a train wreck when it comes to playing defense. So I'd cut back their ice first and even out the load with the other three lines. If that doesn't work, I'd contemplate this:

Tkachuck/Monahan/ Lindholm
Gaudreau/Backlund/Frolik
Neal/Bennett/Czarnik
Dube/Jankowski/Ryan

They have been on the ice for 2 empty net goals where no one else on the team has. They played a shift where 3/5 players (including Hanifin) were playing with each others stick (Hanifin had Lindholm's which is the wrong handedness, Gaudreau had Hanifin's massive stick and Lindholm had Gaudreau's tiny stick) and the Canucks ended up scoring; that is a complete fluke incident. They've also been on the ice when the other team has had a 2 on 1 because the d-man made a bad pinch and they were left out to try. 1 fluke play and 2 empty nets makes them the only minuses on the team. Send out Bennett's line in the dying minutes instead and that line is all - and Mony's is all +.

There defensive coverage is getting massively blown out of proportion, if people actually WATCHED THE GAME and not just take arbitrary numbers for gospel. Gaudreau almost never plays any kind of defence which I am fine with because I don't want him blocking shots and getting hurt. Watch Mony's line defend opposed to Backlunds where Tkachuk and Frolik actually help out and then watch Monahan running around doing the job of 2 people, often 3 because he covers for a defender as well.

Like last game where Monahan made the right play to bounce the puck off the boards to his winger and it ended up getting picked off and Montreal scored. If both his wingers don't blow the zone it is an easy out, it was also a tough bounce as it went right to the Montreal player.

Analysts and fans want to talk all this shit about the Flames, about Monahan, about what ever and no one looks at context, situations, etc. They look at 4-5 really bad shifts in 9 games and make conclusions from them.

Like I said, take away just those 2 empty net goals and Monahan, Gaudreau and Lindholm are all 0 on the season. A lot of superstars have mediocre +/- because they may be on for 20 empty net goals a year, again context. +/- is a horrific stat to judge a players defensive ability. Just like saying Monahan is bad defensively when he hasn't had a good defensive winger on his line his enter career. Put Frolik and Tkachuk with Monahan and see how good of a defender he is with actual defensive line-mates. Lindholm is good defensively, but I find the problem is him and Monahan sort of get caught with each other on who should be playing defence since they are both centers.

Lastly just to re-iterate a similar point I already made, but when Brodie missed the puck in Colorado since it bounced over his stick and the Av's player scored, the entire team on the ice gets a -. When Ras turned it over in St. Louis the entire team gets a -. When Vali made a bad pinch in Vancouver and Petterson scored (because Stone can't defend 2 on 1's at f***ing all), the entire line gets a -. This is 3 examples of bad plays made by the defence which the forwards have no control over and lead to goals against and a - for them. I don't know which forward lines were on the ice, but my point is is that +/- is a horrible stat because one bad play by someone else affects the entire line. It's garbage. I am fairly confident the St. Louis goal against was Mony's line. Or watch MacKinnon's opening goal the one game, what is Monahan supposed to do. Brodie (who I ain't blaming on this goal against) gives it to him right away, by the time Monahan gets it there is already a guy on him who slaps his stick, there is an opposing player also coming in who intercepts the pass and then they score. This goal happened because Colorado made a strong push, not because the Flames players are bad defenders (in this case).

I hate making these long posts because no one will probably read them anyway, but if horseshit articles want to come out and talk shit, f***ing back your shit up. If fans want to talk shit about players, back your shit up because I will refute everything said with real examples, hockey knowledge and understanding of the game. I am not calling out any HF member here, more so some of the horrible articles Sportsnet keeps putting out (just like the horrific post Dougie Hamilton trade article). I also am just adding context for some people when they say things like "this tells me they are a trainwreck defensively" <-- I am adding context your comment to refute that with my examples above. Not calling you out for having a bad opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

seatsy

Feb 6, 2014
Monahan hasn’t passed the eye test or the analytic test. I don’t understand how anyone can think he is good defensively... and quite honestly I don’t think he’s that great offensively either. Has a great IQ on where he needs to be in front of the opposing net. How many goals over the last few years has he actually created by himself? A handful?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Well I wouldn't go that far. Monny is very good in the OZone and it is a sight to see when Johnny and him have their mojo working. I think they need to work on their defensive game a bit and this has been evident for a couple of seasons now. They do have their moments when they're thoroughly engaged at both ends of the ice though. Its just that it's easy to fall back into old habits. I'm opining that could be from fatigue and if it isn't minor tweaks to the line-up could shore up the defensive capability of the first line without losing too much offence. Similarly, the second line wouldn't lose too much defensive capability and might even gain a tad of offence.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The fix is easy AF: Put your four best centers at playing center at center.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Neal
Lindholm-Dube-Monahan
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik/Frolik
Ryan-Jankowski-Czarnik/Hathaway

Or shelter JG because he is a giveaway albatross and defensive liability....
Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindolm
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Neal
Hathaway - Ryan - Czarnik

Chucky is Calgary's best overall left winger and it is time he be played like that. Chucky has as many points as Johnny and has a better overall game. Johnny never has had Chemistry with Backlund and it has been tried again and again thus why matching him with Neal and Jankowski is the best option. This would also spread out Calgary's scoring as well as protecting the team from Johnny's short comings.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They have been on the ice for 2 empty net goals where no one else on the team has. They played a shift where 3/5 players (including Hanifin) were playing with each others stick (Hanifin had Lindholm's which is the wrong handedness, Gaudreau had Hanifin's massive stick and Lindholm had Gaudreau's tiny stick) and the Canucks ended up scoring; that is a complete fluke incident. They've also been on the ice when the other team has had a 2 on 1 because the d-man made a bad pinch and they were left out to try. 1 fluke play and 2 empty nets makes them the only minuses on the team. Send out Bennett's line in the dying minutes instead and that line is all - and Mony's is all +.

There defensive coverage is getting massively blown out of proportion, if people actually WATCHED THE GAME and not just take arbitrary numbers for gospel. Gaudreau almost never plays any kind of defence which I am fine with because I don't want him blocking shots and getting hurt. Watch Mony's line defend opposed to Backlunds where Tkachuk and Frolik actually help out and then watch Monahan running around doing the job of 2 people, often 3 because he covers for a defender as well.

Like last game where Monahan made the right play to bounce the puck off the boards to his winger and it ended up getting picked off and Montreal scored. If both his wingers don't blow the zone it is an easy out, it was also a tough bounce as it went right to the Montreal player.

Analysts and fans want to talk all this **** about the Flames, about Monahan, about what ever and no one looks at context, situations, etc. They look at 4-5 really bad shifts in 9 games and make conclusions from them.

Like I said, take away just those 2 empty net goals and Monahan, Gaudreau and Lindholm are all 0 on the season. A lot of superstars have mediocre +/- because they may be on for 20 empty net goals a year, again context. +/- is a horrific stat to judge a players defensive ability. Just like saying Monahan is bad defensively when he hasn't had a good defensive winger on his line his enter career. Put Frolik and Tkachuk with Monahan and see how good of a defender he is with actual defensive line-mates. Lindholm is good defensively, but I find the problem is him and Monahan sort of get caught with each other on who should be playing defence since they are both centers.

Lastly just to re-iterate a similar point I already made, but when Brodie missed the puck in Colorado since it bounced over his stick and the Av's player scored, the entire team on the ice gets a -. When Ras turned it over in St. Louis the entire team gets a -. When Vali made a bad pinch in Vancouver and Petterson scored (because Stone can't defend 2 on 1's at ****ing all), the entire line gets a -. This is 3 examples of bad plays made by the defence which the forwards have no control over and lead to goals against and a - for them. I don't know which forward lines were on the ice, but my point is is that +/- is a horrible stat because one bad play by someone else affects the entire line. It's garbage. I am fairly confident the St. Louis goal against was Mony's line. Or watch MacKinnon's opening goal the one game, what is Monahan supposed to do. Brodie (who I ain't blaming on this goal against) gives it to him right away, by the time Monahan gets it there is already a guy on him who slaps his stick, there is an opposing player also coming in who intercepts the pass and then they score. This goal happened because Colorado made a strong push, not because the Flames players are bad defenders (in this case).

I hate making these long posts because no one will probably read them anyway, but if horse**** articles want to come out and talk ****, ****ing back your **** up. If fans want to talk **** about players, back your **** up because I will refute everything said with real examples, hockey knowledge and understanding of the game. I am not calling out any HF member here, more so some of the horrible articles Sportsnet keeps putting out (just like the horrific post Dougie Hamilton trade article). I also am just adding context for some people when they say things like "this tells me they are a trainwreck defensively" <-- I am adding context your comment to refute that with my examples above. Not calling you out for having a bad opinion.

I disagree on Monahan, but I liked your post because I did read it and you make many good points..

Reactions: JPeeper

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan hasn’t passed the eye test or the analytic test. I don’t understand how anyone can think he is good defensively... and quite honestly I don’t think he’s that great offensively either. Has a great IQ on where he needs to be in front of the opposing net. How many goals over the last few years has he actually created by himself? A handful?

Shh.
I've said things like this before. I was called a moron for my efforts :laugh:

He's a shooter. A great one. I really wish we could insulate him with someone to do some heavy 1C lifting.

If Monahan's your 2C, you're laughing all the way to the Stanley Cup. As your 1C, you're kind of wondering if it's enough to get you over.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Doesn't matter; the rules are fluid and subjective. Until the rules are enforced a small highly skilled top line that plays clean will flounder.

The league is going in a bad direction, not surprised Johnny and Monahan are struggling. It's open season, both guys are likely injured already from the non-existent reffing. Getting sick of this league and its garbage. Yeah backcheck Sean, if you get the puck you're getting chopped in the wrist immediately and repeatedly as fast as humanly possible.

Johnny? Just hit him in the head, apparently, it's part of the game now. There is something wrong with the league and it's getting worse, at least you could try to protect your star players before. Maybe when Mcdavid is out for a few months from taking a lumberjack chop to the head will things change.

I wonder if a 50% drop in attendance would get people's attention, the on ice product is absolute garbage and the average viewer is starting to realize. The hardcore fans are so entrenched they will rationalize bad reffing with; part of the game, it's a physical game, gotta be aware of your surroundings, good hockey play, you just want all hitting gone from the game, you've just got rose-colored glasses cliched rhetoric.

Don't be shocked when the stars don't give it 100% when the league doesn't give two craps whether they get their necks broken or not. Johnny almost got paralyzed last game and there wasn't even a penalty, don't be expecting him to care after nonsense like that. The reffing is getting worse and now the Gretzky's don't have Semenko's. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^ This is the 2nd rant you’ve gone on about this. I’m not sure you’re message is gonna get heard on this board. That’s a league issue, not a Flames.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Shh.
I've said things like this before. I was called a moron for my efforts :laugh:

He's a shooter. A great one. I really wish we could insulate him with someone to do some heavy 1C lifting.

If Monahan's your 2C, you're laughing all the way to the Stanley Cup. As your 1C, you're kind of wondering if it's enough to get you over.

Many people here disregard what Tre, and the coaching staff have to say in regards to Monahan as idle chatter. At the end of last season Tre stated that expecting Monahan to pick-up on the defensive short coming of the first line is unrealistic.

Unfortunately many of the board users here only look at the flash. Johnny is amazing with the puck but it comes at a cost. Johnny leads every forward in the league over the last four years in giveaways and the worst giveaway/ takeaway ratio. Chucky is way more complete and if he is teamed up with Sean you will finally see everything Monahan brings because he won't have to worry about picking up on a line-mates short comings.

The only #1C Calgary has is Sean. It is not even close. Management and coaching staff all recognize this yet you guys know better. :whaaa?:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Many people here disregard what Tre, and the coaching staff have to say in regards to Monahan as idle chatter. At the end of last season Tre stated that expecting Monahan to pick-up on the defensive short coming of the first line is unrealistic.

Unfortunately many of the board users here only look at the flash. Johnny is amazing with the puck but it comes at a cost. Johnny leads every forward in the league over the last four years in giveaways and the worst giveaway/ takeaway ratio. Chucky is way more complete and if he is teamed up with Sean you will finally see everything Monahan brings because he won't have to worry about picking up on a line-mates short comings.

The only #1C Calgary has is Sean. It is not even close. Management and coaching staff all recognize this yet you guys know better. :whaaa?:

I fully agree he's the only one we have.
In a perfect world, we'd have a real elite 1C.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think Monahan is a #1 center, just not an elite one like some teams have. However, when I see horseshit like NHL.com's top 20 centers and motherf***ing Leon Draisaitl is in over Monahan I pretty much have to disregard anything else because they can't be serious. Draisaitl is barely above Bennett when it comes to being an NHL center. He had one good series a few years ago, got a massive contract and all the hype from those 10 games has completely taken over everyone's opinion of Drai. Dude doesn't score points away from McDavid.

I've seen Monahan drive lines, when Gaudreau wasn't on his line. I have been saying this for years, if Mony and Gaudreau were split up you'd see how much Monahan can do in terms of playmaking, holding onto the puck more, etc. but with Gaudreau it seems like he has to get Johnny the puck and let him do everything and he gets into the open areas. I'm not saying to split them up because they are among the top 5 deadliest duo's in the league, but it couldn't hurt to see.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I do watch the games. Do you?

Refute one of my claims or observations. You yourself said in your post, "They are collectively minus 2 despite all the point they've racked up. And they're the only ones on the team that are minus players. This tells me they've been a bit of a train wreck when it comes to playing defense."

So what you're saying is your entire opinion is based on one of the worst kept stats in professional sports without looking at the context of anything. You aren't basing your opinion on actual gameplay.

I'm not here to argue with people, but if people want to make statements calling players out, back it up.

I know 2 or 3 people hate on me for calling Stone a horrible defenceman. I do it because he IS horrible. Like people want to bench Brodie over Stone yet Brodie is infinite times better. Brodie makes 1 bad play a game, Stone will make 20 small horrible plays and no one says a peep.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Monahan is a #1 center, just not an elite one like some teams have. However, when I see horse**** like NHL.com's top 20 centers and mother****ing Leon Draisaitl is in over Monahan I pretty much have to disregard anything else because they can't be serious. Draisaitl is barely above Bennett when it comes to being an NHL center. He had one good series a few years ago, got a massive contract and all the hype from those 10 games has completely taken over everyone's opinion of Drai. Dude doesn't score points away from McDavid.

I've seen Monahan drive lines, when Gaudreau wasn't on his line. I have been saying this for years, if Mony and Gaudreau were split up you'd see how much Monahan can do in terms of playmaking, holding onto the puck more, etc. but with Gaudreau it seems like he has to get Johnny the puck and let him do everything and he gets into the open areas. I'm not saying to split them up because they are among the top 5 deadliest duo's in the league, but it couldn't hurt to see.

It's this weird relationship where they're excellent yet flawed together; and you'd really wonder if they'd be able to maintain that high level of play; but also improve the flaws they have together. Know what I mean?

I do think Monahan's a 1C, I've said it before. He's just not that type that takes over a game, and teams hate to match up against.

Reactions: JPeeper

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's a little tough to know since he's almost never apart from Gaudreau. I think he's a good passer, has good general offensive instincts, and is an elite goal scorer. But anyone who's on a line with Gaudreau is going to be tough to judge unless they suck, because offense generally flows through Johnny.

I do think Monahan's defensive play gets unfairly maligned, though. He used to suck defensively, for sure, and he's not amazing at it, but I think he's serviceable. He tends to be good positionally, he's got a decent stick, and he's strong enough to handle physical play as well (although he's not overly physical most of the time).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gaudreau is good enough to fly the zone and be a defensive liability. Monahan needs to be better though

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Agreed. We should just do it and move Bennett/Dube up in his spot and see what happens.

Inb4 BeNnETt CaN'T plAY CeNTer

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
^ This is the 2nd rant you’ve gone on about this. I’m not sure you’re message is gonna get heard on this board. That’s a league issue, not a Flames.
It's a Flames issue because we are small and play relatively clean. Teams like that are going to be taken advantage of because of the officiating.

Everyone else just seems content to watch our best player get shoved head first into the boards from behind risking permanent injury, no penalty, no nothing, everyone move on. How are the fans so accepting of the worst officiating in any league? Really, name me another professional sports league where the rules change every minute depending on the emotions of the officials.

Don't see the point in talking about the play of our best players when they are probably already injured less than 10 games into the season. And people are surprised at their level of play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad