Pool A v. Pool B:

Pyke*

Just thought I'd throw this out there:
-So far, the only team to lose in a cross-over match from Pool B was Norway falling to Slovakia. Outside of that, every cross-over game has gone to a Pool B team (Russia > Finland (4-3 O.T.), Canada > Switzerland (4-1), Czech Republic > Germany (3-2)).

Not sure if the moniker "Pool of Death" was appropriate, but it does seem to say something that 3 of the 4 teams left alive are Pool B clubs.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
pool of death title was well earned. All 3 playoff teams are in the semis, czech should probably win over the slovaks too. Norway will probably go 0-6, but they were the divI team anyways.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Wasn't this painfully obvious to everybody going in? It's the number one reason I'm not sold on the US being favourites against Canada, they haven't played a team that's still alive, Canada beat Russia and was in a very tight game with Sweden.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Wasn't this painfully obvious to everybody going in? It's the number one reason I'm not sold on the US being favourites against Canada, they haven't played a team that's still alive, Canada beat Russia and was in a very tight game with Sweden.

You make a good point(s).

:)

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Just thought I'd throw this out there:
-So far, the only team to lose in a cross-over match from Pool B was Norway falling to Slovakia. Outside of that, every cross-over game has gone to a Pool B team (Russia > Finland (4-3 O.T.), Canada > Switzerland (4-1), Czech Republic > Germany (3-2)).

Not sure if the moniker "Pool of Death" was appropriate, but it does seem to say something that 3 of the 4 teams left alive are Pool B clubs.

Who is really surprised by this? The traditional top 4 hockey nations are in the semifinals. Moreover, the teams that were seeded 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th, finished in exactly the order of their seeding. The Fins were seeded 6th and will finish 5th or 6th.

Everyone knew Pool B would be the Pool of Death the minute the Swiss upset the Russians in the quarters last year and then lost to the Swedes. It was all pre-determined.

Aug 21, 2005
Germany lost by 1 goal, Finland after OT. It could easily be vice versa.

Pyke*

Well, that's 2 more victories for Pool B; the latter of which in pretty convincing fashion.

If Sweden wins the Bronze medal tomorrow, I would say that all but wraps up the argument that Group A was pretty sad.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
to what extent did being in Pool A hurt the Americans?

They didn't get as good competition, and didn't play all that well against the weaker opponents. Regardless it seems the Americans were quite overhyped, certainly no better than Sweden or Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad