Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
RNH, Strome, Khaira down the middle then for lines 2/3/4.
Slepy, Kassian, Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Pakarinen, Cammalleri as wingers... Rattie to PB, Lucic to the moon.
I wasn't saying what I want. Just what I think will happen.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Don't mind the player so far. Exceptional speed, a few deft passing plays between him and JP, the sequence that let to the goal was pretty I am not going to lie. Him and JP caused some havoc with their speed on the forecheck, hopefully he continues to acclimate and gets a look on McDavid's line.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Aberg is a reason why I'm starting to open up to the Oilers haha. I hope he does well. Always wanted him to be a Flame.

What do you think his potential is? Could he be a 50-60 point winger? Like 20 goals, 30 assists, or is that a bit too high for his skill level. I don't know much about him; I'm just assuming you might, as it sounds like you've followed him a bit.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What do you think his potential is? Could he be a 50-60 point winger? Like 20 goals, 30 assists, or is that a bit too high for his skill level. I don't know much about him; I'm just assuming you might, as it sounds like you've followed him a bit.

Eh I pegged him as a 25 goal 15 assist guy if played with Gaudreau or Monahan in the summer of 2017. Aberg even in the playoffs was more of a shooter guy and especially true in the AHL. This season he seems more hesitant and can't finish, so I'd say realistically he can still top out as a 15 goal 25 assist guy if he truly hits his potential, if he plays with McDavid maybe more, but realistically realistically he might only be a 30 point guy that is a useful depth winger.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Eh I pegged him as a 25 goal 15 assist guy if played with Gaudreau or Monahan in the summer of 2017. Aberg even in the playoffs was more of a shooter guy and especially true in the AHL. This season he seems more hesitant and can't finish, so I'd say realistically he can still top out as a 15 goal 25 assist guy if he truly hits his potential, if he plays with McDavid maybe more, but realistically realistically he might only be a 30 point guy that is a useful depth winger.

That's not too bad. As long as he brings some speed and isn't a huge liability in the Dzone. I guess I'll set my hopes for a 50 point winger, and be happy if he can score 35-50 points consistently.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
That's not too bad. As long as he brings some speed and isn't a huge liability in the Dzone. I guess I'll set my hopes for a 50 point winger, and be happy if he can score 40-50 points consistently.

I think he's flukey in the Dzone, he played well defensively tonight but sometimes looks lost. But as a what Eakins Eberle type liability (I actually thought Eberle was a solid 2-way winger before Eakins)? Not even close.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think he's flukey in the Dzone, he played well defensively tonight but sometimes looks lost. But as a what Eakins Eberle type liability (I actually thought Eberle was a solid 2-way winger before Eakins)? Not even close.

I guess he can still learn, too. Still fairly young. Tons of guys develop their defensive game at a bit older age if they realize they can't be a 30 goal scorer. As mentioned before, I don't know a lot about him (little bit, but not much), but obviously I do hope he works out and can help the team. I think getting him was better than some late round pick, that's for sure. Would rather not burn 4 years of McDavid and Drai waiting for a prospect to MAYBE turn into an NHLer, whereas Pontus might be on the cusp. I'd take that chance.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
lets just hope he becomes a solid 10G-20A- 30Pts 4th liner. Anything more would be bonus.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hope

but I think you guys will prove me wrong

That we will wait a game or two before we pass judgement on the guy

The way this board is some of you will pass final sentence ten second in to his first shift

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He seems like a decent fit, honestly if this team would stop dicking around, and actually settled on roles/lines, I'd be happy with Aberg, Puljujarvi, Lucic, and Slepyshev as the middle 6 wingers.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Eh I pegged him as a 25 goal 15 assist guy if played with Gaudreau or Monahan in the summer of 2017. Aberg even in the playoffs was more of a shooter guy and especially true in the AHL. This season he seems more hesitant and can't finish, so I'd say realistically he can still top out as a 15 goal 25 assist guy if he truly hits his potential, if he plays with McDavid maybe more, but realistically realistically he might only be a 30 point guy that is a useful depth winger.[/QUOTE if he plays with Mcdavid much more than if he played with any flame player. Oh and you are selling him way short of his potential

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Åberg after five games with Oilers:

Attachments

• IMG_0430.PNG
    IMG_0430.PNG
    67.2 KB · Views: 55

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

Yeah that's not saying much. Good depth guy, can move up in the lineup if needed to appease Todd's blender lines. Next season after some more chemistry with the boys, he could definitely help our goal scoring issues on the wing.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Stats wise not great. I havent liked him as much lately as his first couple games. I do think he needs to just settle in. Hes a better player than Cagguila. Probably better than Slepshev, although with Slepshev, hes pretty inconsistent. Sometimes he looks invisible and sometimes he looks like a top 6 forward. I dont have much faith in the coaching staff putting players in a position to succeed though.

Seems like he has good speed, decent shot and the ability to get the puck out on the boards.

Reactions: PulYou

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t see the appeal of this guy at all. He’s being put in a top 6 role most of the time, but he has all of 3 goals in his nhl career, and he’s 24.

He looks like a fourth liner with some wheels. He should absolutely not be playing over slepy or jp in the top 6.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t understand why he’s getting a push in the top 6 over JP. It’s like Chia wants to prove that he got a useful player during the TDL and will force him into a role he shouldn’t be doing. The guy is a 4th line player with at best, 3rd line potential. JP is a highly touted draft pick with 1st like potential. Quit auditioning scrubs in the top 6.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Was at the game last night and was not very impressed with Aberg. Made some errand passes and really did not stand out above the rest of the young wingers we have on this team . Obviously still needs time to adjust so I will withhold my final judgement for the time being

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I don't think there's much there. He looks like he's pretty smart, just might be one of those guys that needs the extra half second you get in the AHL to make the move he wants to make.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty invisible last couple games. Although there was a sequence last game where he was asking for the pass cause he was wide open to rip it. But Oilers gonna Oilers and not recognize the better play.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's got some decent wheels, but doesn't seem like much of a threat to score. Nothing special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad