Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Might as well get this started. He skated in practice today on a line with Puljujarvi and Strome.

Let's see if Pro Scouting Chia can find a diamond in the rough for us:

Here's his stats:
Pontus Aberg hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Here's highlights:

Here's his pre-game interview:

Here's some scouting reports:
December 2017 – The 2017-2018 season has not started well for the young Swede. Aberg has struggled this season, resulting in the occasional healthy scratch and a brief demotion to the Milwaukee Admirals. When he is in the Predators lineup, he most frequently lines up alongside Colton Sissons and Calle Jarnkrok, but has also seen time with star forward Filip Forsberg. Despite only having two goals and five points in 24 games, Aberg still boasts high-end offensive skills. He is a fast and creative player and is always dangerous when he has the puck. Aberg needs to find consistency in his game to secure a permanent spot in the Predators lineup. Tyler Halsey

Is a slick winger with great speed, plenty of offensive acumen and the versatility to play on either side of center. Has pretty good hockey sense.

Needs to become stronger on the puck for the National Hockey League game, so he should add more bulk to his average-sized frame. Lacks consistency

Aberg is a speedy player with some high caliber offensive skills. The two-way winger has good hockey sense, passes the puck well, and possesses a hard accurate shot. He has good one-on-one ability which can be a challenge for the defense and he gets pucks off of his stick quickly in tight areas. Aberg has a strong work ethic and competes hard, but has some consistency issues. He needs to get stronger to play along the boards against bigger, more physical men.
Read more at Hockey's Future - Pontus Aberg

For a team wanting a purely offensive talent, there were few better options in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft than Djurgården's Swedish winger Pontus Åberg.
A dynamic sniper, Åberg's best quality is no doubt his rocket slap shot. Fast and accurate, Åberg's shot has allowed him to become one of the most dominant young forwards in the Swedish Elitserien.
Åberg is also a very good skater, with good acceleration and a high top speed, and he is willing to get physical to win puck battles. Like most young Swedes, Åberg is also a responsible defensive player, who can be an effective penalty killer.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
he'll get 4 points in his first 3 games to get us excited, then slowly slide down the lineup and settle into AHL obscurity.
It's the Oilers after all.

Reactions: SpoolCat

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's all up to Pontus to give Oilers fans hope again.

Do it Pontus! Gretzky says we deserve it!

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
he'll get 4 points in his first 3 games to get us excited, then slowly slide down the lineup and settle into AHL obscurity.
It's the Oilers after all.

I believe he'll stick full time this season and next. A change of scenery is what he needed. Nashville have a different system.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
From what I have watched is that. He is a player that plays well with confidence and awful without.

I feel like he could excel here if we had a coach that could instill confidence in anyone.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
After reading these assessments of him, I'm just gonna throw this out there.

Could he be a poor man's Mike Hoffman?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
After reading these assessments of him, I'm just gonna throw this out there.

Could he be a poor man's Mike Hoffman?
I'd wait to see him at least once first lol, but sure, that could be on the table

From what I read though, his issue is scoring touch, and that is Hoffman's best quality

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'd wait to see him at least once first lol, but sure, that could be on the table

From what I read though, his issue is scoring touch, and that is Hoffman's best quality

Yeah, I think he could be a good pick up. I hope he'll be rejuvenated now that he has an opportunity to stick with an NHL club full time and not be buried.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Plus he's fast and can win a faceoff too. I like what i saw from him in his first game hopefully he keeps this up.

Yeah, I like the pickup. Probably has a better chance of flopping, but the potential is there, and taking a chance on him was the right move. So far so good.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd REALLY like to give him a look with McDavid cuz i think he can actually keep up with him with the wheels he's got

We'll probably have to wait until Todd is gone. As well as such things as giving Bear a legit shot next season, on the first unit PP, etc. Not going to happen with Todd. Sooner he goes the better.

Yet Rattie gets a top-6 after being dreadfully lazy in Bako all season. What a joke.

But anyway, I like Pontus so far.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
We'll probably have to wait until Todd is gone. As well as such things as giving Bear a legit shot next season, on the first unit PP, etc. Not going to happen with Todd. Sooner he goes the better.

Yet Rattie gets a top-6 after being dreadfully lazy in Springfield all season. What a joke.

But anyway, I like Pontus so far.

A lot of our younger players get better as soon as TMac is gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->