Confirmed with Link: Pominville, 2014 4th to MIN for Matt Hackett, Johan Larsson, 2013 1st, 2014 2nd

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
It's a great tool for GMs frankly. If we couldn't retain that little bit of salary, one of the pieces coming back would probably have been a salary dump instead of what we got.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Regier was on WGR and just confirmed that the Sabres are picking up a portion of Pominville's salary

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Regier was on WGR and just confirmed that the Sabres are picking up a portion of Pominville's salary

Anyone know how it works regarding the cap for both teams (we get cap hit for what we pay or we pay but other team gets full cap hit).

This should favor us moving forward. Either way it will give us more flexibility to move Vanek, Miller, and Stafford.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anyone know how it works regarding the cap for both teams (we get cap hit for what we pay or we pay but other team gets full cap hit).

This should favor us moving forward. Either way it will give us more flexibility to move Vanek, Miller, and Stafford.

Buffalo retains the cap hit. It was part of my idea about moving Miller to Phoenix and retaining cap hit to make it possible for the Yotes financially.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1h

Sources say #Sabres will pick up 15% of Jason Pominville's contract: ~$200K in cap for remainder of this season, $795K in cap next season.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1h

Sources say #Sabres will pick up 15% of Jason Pominville's contract: ~$200K in cap for remainder of this season, $795K in cap next season.

With the cap going down next year, the $795K stings a little. Not terrible.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
We won't be anywhere near the Cap..... Won't sting a bit.

Sting in the form of any money at all going towards a player no longer on the roster. Money that could have gone to someone else. That's all. Again, not terrible. Just my O.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Buffalo retains the cap hit. It was part of my idea about moving Miller to Phoenix and retaining cap hit to make it possible for the Yotes financially.

That is awesome. Let the bidding commence for Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller at a cap hit of $1M each. I think some win now, cap constrained teams would definitely trade a good portion of their near ready future for that. And we could eat this for 1 year as part of the rebuild.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That is awesome. Let the bidding commence for Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller at a cap hit of $1M each. I think some win now, cap constrained teams would definitely trade a good portion of their near ready future for that. And we could eat this for 1 year as part of the rebuild.

You can't eat that much.
- Only up to 50% of a player's salary/cap hit
- Only up to 3 retained salaries at a time
- Only up to 15% of the upper salary cap limit

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Given the haul that Pominville sent our way it is very tempting to think about what sort of future pieces and picks the Sabres could come away with if Miller, Vanek, and Stafford were all moved out this summer.

I am not sure that this is right course, but I would imagine that if Buffalo helped retain the cap hit on Miller/Vanek that the returns would be outrageous.

As a part time fan of the Islanders I know that the youth movement/rebuild can be slow and painful, but if you are going to do it, you should go all out or not at all. Let's see what the Sabres do.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sting in the form of any money at all going towards a player no longer on the roster. Money that could have gone to someone else. That's all. Again, not terrible. Just my O.

I think that's more than offset by the (likely) higher return we got because we were willing to do just that.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah this salary retention thing help rich teams (us), and also teams looking to move short term, large cap hit players (us).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeah this salary retention thing help rich teams (us), and also teams looking to move short term, large cap hit players (us).

It also helps poorer teams who, in the past, wouldn't be able to afford a players whole salary.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Already been reported that it's ~$900k next year and ~$225k this year (because it's prorated)

Hmmm, seems I was right when I predicted something like this. It made too much sense to do it since we will have free cap space next season and allowed more teams to inquire about Poms. I hope they do it for Vanek and/or Miller if we trade them. (Not Stafford tho, too many years left on his deal)

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
With the cap going down next year, the $795K stings a little. Not terrible.

That 800k sting probably was the difference between the Wild offer and an offer that had far less coming back from another team. In effect we bought a 2nd round pick or the upgrade from two 2nds to a 1st and a 2nd round pick. IMHO that is how this team bounces back as quick as possible. For a team on the cusp the cap hit is far more important than the additional pick.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The way the Kings and Sabres were scouting each other for weeks, I really felt that LA was looking at other players in addition to Robin Regehr.

If LA was willing to give up Toffoli in a Pominville trade, who would you rather have on your team: Toffoli or Larsson?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The way the Kings and Sabres were scouting each other for weeks, I really felt that LA was looking at other players in addition to Robin Regehr.

If LA was willing to give up Toffoli in a Pominville trade, who would you rather have on your team: Toffoli or Larsson?

I can't answer that question, because I'd need to know the entire package from LA. With the way that Quick is performing, I'd imagine Bernier wasn't available yet, so we're probably not getting a possible future NHL starter. Nor did LA have a 1st round pick this year (to CBJ in the Carter deal); I can't imagine they'd want to give up their 1st in 2014 or 2015 having already given away both 2nd rounders.

In a vacuum, sure, probably Toffoli. But I like the Minnesota package, and I doubt that LA would've been willing to match that.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

We all know that because Toffoli was drafted first he's the better player. :sarcasm:

Straight up I would probably favor Toffoli. I think part of that is with all of the LAK trade talks I was really psyched about the possibility of adding him. I think he has the greater offensive talent. That being said, I really am excited about the possibility of Larsson being the warrior with offensive skills we all clamor for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad