GDT: Polyethylene glycol purge vs detoilet (preds vs wings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And if Joey is back, it seems like a waste to have Granlund slotted as a center rather than playing of the wing of either Joey or Duchene

from hynes

"We've just felt like there was some good chemistry between Forsberg, Granlund and Arvidsson for a couple games. I think Granlund's looked good in the middle, so we'd like to keep them together for chemistry purposes. Then, Duchene's line has played very well with Jarnkrok and Grimaldi; seems like that's been a few games now they've played very well, have some good chemistry, and now you have Joey, and that gives you an opportunity to put a really good centerman with Tolvanen and Cousins with Tolvy being a shooter and Johansen's ability to move the puck. So, we haven't tried a look like that. And then we just bumped Haula to the left side with Sissons and Kunin. So, rather than kind of disrupt all the lines, we felt like coming off a couple of games where we felt like we played really well, particularly Saturday night, rather than move things around, keep some lines that were playing really well together and see if we can get four lines all going at that same pace."

Game Day: Preds at Red Wings Preview

We won 1 game so can't break the chemistry or something

Reactions: bdub24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
from hynes

"We've just felt like there was some good chemistry between Forsberg, Granlund and Arvidsson for a couple games. I think Granlund's looked good in the middle, so we'd like to keep them together for chemistry purposes. Then, Duchene's line has played very well with Jarnkrok and Grimaldi; seems like that's been a few games now they've played very well, have some good chemistry, and now you have Joey, and that gives you an opportunity to put a really good centerman with Tolvanen and Cousins with Tolvy being a shooter and Johansen's ability to move the puck. So, we haven't tried a look like that. And then we just bumped Haula to the left side with Sissons and Kunin. So, rather than kind of disrupt all the lines, we felt like coming off a couple of games where we felt like we played really well, particularly Saturday night, rather than move things around, keep some lines that were playing really well together and see if we can get four lines all going at that same pace."

I can see the logic in not breaking up lines that worked well last game, but I wish he would apply that same thought process to the Forsberg-Duchene-Granlund line. Him saying we played well prior to last game does grind my gears though. I've gotten the sense that he heavily relies on advanced stats so if win by those metrics at the end of the game he's pretty happy even if we lose and the eye test says we look awful.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
When Trenin does end up leaving for Russia we can't be too surprised by it
I haven't watched too much lately, but the little I have, Trenin hasn't exactly done anything to grant him a permanent spot in the lineup. He's done enough to keep him in the rotation and hopefully he plays the next game and hopefully he can elevate his game throughout the season and earn that permanent spot next season if not earlier.

Reactions: Scoresberg

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Hi guys, your thoughts on Tolvanen? I can see a bit of an increase in his role and toi (~15 minutes last two games) but only two sog in those two games (and eight sog overall). for a pure shooter i would say its not enough to succeed

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Hi guys, your thoughts on Tolvanen? I can see a bit of an increase in his role and toi (~15 minutes last two games) but only two sog in those two games (and eight sog overall). for a pure shooter i would say its not enough to succeed

He will surely need to show more to succeed, you are correct. I would say I am actually optimistic though. I think he is ahead of expectations for 2 way game and his positioning has been effective. I have keyed in on him some and he almost seems to be so focused on correct position and assignments he isn't really allowing himself any offensive success. They've given him a chance to be on the top PP unit, and I have really liked his ability to keep possession and move the puck. He also hasn't really turned loose his shot yet. I think as he gets more confidence he has a chance to settle in to a nice middle 6 role. He is deferring to others still at this point. He needs to be on a line with a setup man. I can't emphasize that enough. His release is quick and will be what carries him in this league if he is able to make it long term.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I haven't watched too much lately, but the little I have, Trenin hasn't exactly done anything to grant him a permanent spot in the lineup. He's done enough to keep him in the rotation and hopefully he plays the next game and hopefully he can elevate his game throughout the season and earn that permanent spot next season if not earlier.

Disclaimer: I always believe that our prospects have untapped potential so I am going to be biased.

But playing Trenin in a physical role next to Olivier for 9 mins a game does not give him a very good chance to succeed. He had a lot of offensive success at the AHL level and it just seems like we're setting ourselves up for a future where he never breaks through and we tell ourselves that that was always going to happen when that really doesn't have to be the case.

Has he had a single shift with Duchene, Haula, or Johansen? He had a lot of success at the PP in the AHL but we're put McCarron and Cousins out there instead.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
This may not make any sense, but I think there are very few players that do everything well. Those players are generally very expensive and difficult to maintain long term. I think of Bill Belicheck. He had large (core) pieces built into his team and then found other players that did a single or a few things really really well. He then put those players in optimal situations where they basically only did what they did well. I think Trotz was the closest version of that we have seen from a Preds head coach. I generally HATE a coach forcing a player into a system.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
from hynes

Yeah this doesn’t scream “I literally have no idea what I’m doing and the shit I flung at the wall one game ago stuck”....Jesus we gotta get rid of this f***ing clown

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Don’t look at anything that this coach is doing with ice time. He is completely out of his depth

Reactions: SouthNash

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
from hynes

Notice he didn't say what Cousins role was on that line......

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
He will surely need to show more to succeed, you are correct. I would say I am actually optimistic though. I think he is ahead of expectations for 2 way game and his positioning has been effective. I have keyed in on him some and he almost seems to be so focused on correct position and assignments he isn't really allowing himself any offensive success. They've given him a chance to be on the top PP unit, and I have really liked his ability to keep possession and move the puck. He also hasn't really turned loose his shot yet. I think as he gets more confidence he has a chance to settle in to a nice middle 6 role. He is deferring to others still at this point. He needs to be on a line with a setup man. I can't emphasize that enough. His release is quick and will be what carries him in this league if he is able to make it long term.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Preds have absolutely pegged him a 4th liner. Any other line time he’s got has been accidental.

He spent 10 minutes with Sissons and Grimaldi and that was the best line he's been on according to Moneypuck (which doesn't show lines that had less than 10 mins of TOI). Other then them it's all been Richardson, Olivier, McCarron.

The other thing that really grinds my gears about it is that we've been awful this year - you'd think that if there was ever a time to try prospects higher up in the line up it would be when:

1. What we're currently doing isn't working at all and
2. If we do move prospects up in the lineup and they don't do well, it won't be any different from the norm

And, Trenin is a big guy with a nose for the net - something this team could really, really use.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
After 18 NHL games Forsberg had 1 goal. After 15 NHL games Tolvanen has 2 goals. I understand Forsberg was younger but with rookies it takes a little time. Pastrnak had 10 in 46 games for Boston. He’s learning how to play up here. I don’t know if he’ll pan out but he has to have some time. Not everybody has 1st years like Gretzky, Ovechkin or Selanne. Tolvanen is not a superstar; just a guy who may get to be a top 6.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
After 18 NHL games Forsberg had 1 goal. After 15 NHL games Tolvanen has 2 goals. I understand Forsberg was younger but with rookies it takes a little time. Pastrnak had 10 in 46 games for Boston. He’s learning how to play up here. I don’t know if he’ll pan out but he has to have some time. Not everybody has 1st years like Gretzky, Ovechkin or Selanne. Tolvanen is not a superstar; just a guy who may get to be a top 6.
but Forsberg's 18 games were as an 18-19 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad