NHL Entry Draft POLL: Would You Be Fine With Sanderson At 5?

Ok with Sanderson at 5?

• Total voters

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
Other way around. The Sens wanted Logan while NJ apparently rated multiple players the same at #11.

If you want someone, you take them. If you're indifferent between multiple choices, you can move back.

My bad, got it reversed. Point still stands. Every team wants a player more than another player. They have their own rankings. It just depends on how much more you want that player over the next ones on your list and whether you think it is safe to make a trade down or not.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think I would have to side with those who would trade back to grab one of those "fence" players.

For example if you were to trade with team #7, it would be based on the agreement that team #7 really wants to move up to #5 to grab Raymond for example. If Perfetti and Raymond are gone 4-5, that would still leave Rossi and Drysdale as the top ranked players available.

So the risk is only that the #6 team really wants Sanderson too, but if we got a decent asset from team 7 to move back, then Rossi or Drysdale is a seriously good consolation prize.

The only time you do not trade back at this point is if the other team is not interested or if you really think the player you want at #5 is the player every other team below you wants at #5 too.

Reactions: BigCanadian

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
i'm surprised there are this many no votes. I don't expect them to pick Sanderson, but after all the fans wanted Zadina, you think the Sens scouts would get some leeway and the benefit of the doubt until the pick is proven to be good or not.
Having strong opinions is more fun. I say this as a guy who flipped out when we took Brady. I'm a slow learner anyway.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Would be very unhappy. I believe Drysdale is above Sanderson and even if not Drysdale, get some blue chip forward prospects plz.

Having said that, having Sanderson in the system would be super cool in the event that Chabot starts declining for some reason. It'll pay dividends down the road but would be annoying givent he offensive talent available

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Chabot - Bernard-Docker
Sanderson - Brannstrom

Sanderson wouldn't be my pick at #5, but that would be a heck of a top 4 for a long time if everyone reaches their potential

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
im fine with sanderson, as long as we are trading down from 5 or trading up from the isles pick for him.

I dont see 2 dmen going in the first 5 picks and frankly still see drysdale going before him. That to me makes it look like a reach and thats not something we should be doing at all unless dorion sees something completely different. I actually trust him when it comes to scouting players for the draft

Reactions: BigCanadian

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Although I don't want a dman at #5, and JS isn't my top ranked dman, my absolute only faith in the club is the scouting dept. I have my favourites, but I'm confident with whomever is selected.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Okay is the right word. Not my top choice, not in my top 3 choices for #5 but he looks like he'll be a good player so no big deal if we take him.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Although I don't want a dman at #5, and JS isn't my top ranked dman, my absolute only faith in the club is the scouting dept. I have my favourites, but I'm confident with whomever is selected.
Lee. Cowen. Lazar. Ceci. Puempel. Noesen. L Brown. Bowers. Rundblad over Tarasenko. That is a terrible haul for 9 first round picks

Why do you have faith in our scouting department?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Lee. Cowen. Lazar. Ceci. Puempel. Noesen. L Brown. Bowers. Rundblad over Tarasenko. That is a terrible haul for 9 first round picks

Why do you have faith in our scouting department?

Not a good faith argument when you're including Lee considering no one in the organization was around when he was picked.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's all you've got?

Mann only became chief scout in 2016, picks made a decade before that like lee are about as relevant as Hossa and Havlat.

Bowers and Brown are the only guys you mentioned drafted with Mann at the helm, the former being a very late 1st and the latter still a solid prospect. You also are guilty of cherry picking. If i suggested we were amazing at drafting because Karlsson, Chabot, Tkachuk, Zibanejad, Spezza, Havlat, Hossa, Foligno was amazing haul for 8 picks, that would be pretty misleading.

The reality is any honest assesment of our drafting has to consider who we left on the table to get our guy (draft position matters a lot) and has to show our success or failure in terms of how it compaires to other teams because the reality is a lot of 1st round picks do bust.

Mann has done some things to earn trust. I believe he was the one who pushed for Chabot as a regional scout before getting promoted, and was in charge when we passed on Zadina for Tkachuk. Its a bit early to call anything hes done a flop aside from Bowers, but at 28th oa your throwing darts.

Reactions: Cosmix
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I've actually been looking at the Shane Bowers draft recently trying to see who we should have picked instead, and holy cow that 2017 draft is filled with godawful players.

Quite frankly, we are lucky to have come away from that draft with Formenton and Batherson.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
We've had so much turnover on our scouting staff in recent years that I'm not sure we have any reasonable idea about whether they're good, bad or average.

A fairly substantial portion of our amateur scouting staff [Dan Boeser, Todd Stirling, Christian De Blois, Kyle Flanagan, Anders Ostberg, Bobby Strumm] have literally been hired on within the last season or two. We just don't have enough information to say what these guys are capable of.

What I do know is that a lot of veteran scouts that were largely responsible for some of our best picks are no longer with the team. I'm talking about people like Bob Loews, Anders Forsberg, Vaclav Burda, Lewis Mongelluzzo, etc. At this point in time our scouting staff is small, fairly young, and rather inexperienced.

Though I will note that it could be argued that perhaps a shake-up was called for after the team had very poor drafts in 2012, 2013, 2014 and likely 2016 as well.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'd be really happy. I prefer Raymond/Perfetti, but the selection of Sanderson would solidify our defense going forward.
The defence would not yet be solidified, Chabot and Sanderson both play the left side. the right ride is counting on JBD and Thomson panning out which may not happen.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad