NHL Entry Draft POLL: Would You Be Fine With Sanderson At 5?

Ok with Sanderson at 5?

• Total voters

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'd be really happy. I prefer Raymond/Perfetti, but the selection of Sanderson would solidify our defense going forward.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Ultimately I trust the scouting staff but man I would be incredibly disappointed with him as a pick given what we know will available.

Reactions: Sen sational

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
4-8 on McKenzie's list can legitimately go in any order

My preference is a forward over either of the 2 D ranked in the top 10 but they are both good players with lots of upside so... it is what it is if one is taken at 5.

Is this not OK similar to taking Tkachuk over Zadina not ok? I guess there were a number of people kinda pissed at that.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I trust management. I wanted this guy so badly back when he was hovering around 11; i made several posts about it being an actual objective Dorion has to do. He rose too high and id still be ok at 5 if management believe it to be right.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It all depends on the following: Is Sanderson the defensive version of Tkachuk? If yes, then definitely, he would turn our defense into a top 5 corps over the next few years.

If not, then I will say no, and hope that we hit a home run with an elite forward.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
I would because I trust Trent Mann, but I would certainly be surprised if he happened to be the pick.
This x1000

These guys scout players for a living. If they see something in Sanderson that they believe sets him apart from the others, I’ll trust their decision vs. people watching YouTube videos.

Reactions: Taluss

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm "ok" with it. In all honesty, I think everyone after Laf has significant question marks, and it's incredibly easy to second guess who to pick at five. No matter who we pick, there will be a bit of wonder for a few years if we got it right or not.

Reactions: TheDebater

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
i trust the scouts over me, but man am I hyped on Drysdale and Raymond way more so than I am for Sanderson.

Would feel like another the sens went with the safe pick situation but this time with a top 5 pick.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I'm "ok" with it. In all honesty, I think everyone after Laf has significant question marks, and it's incredibly easy to second guess who to pick at five. No matter who we pick, there will be a bit of wonder for a few years if we got it right or not.

I think this draft will be one discussed heavily for many many years to come, due to the many factors surrounding it.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I do think the Sens need to upgrade their left side. Having a player in the Sens system like Sanderson would boost it greatly with the shutdown and physical aspect and Brannstrom could fully move over on the right side which he's so comfortable with.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Wolanin- Thomson

Seems way more balanced offensively and defensively on the backend. I don't know why but I get Seth Jones kind of impact vibes from Sanderson. But really hoping for Raymond/Rossi. Could address in the 2nd a more physical dman with Tyler Kleven.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Voted "no" mostly because I'd rather we go with forwards with 3+5.

Plus Raymond just seems like a flat out better prospect to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I voted no.

I think Sanderson will be a good NHL player but I want a player with more rare NHL skills.

How many physical, shutdown monsters with offensive upside are there? If you're looking for rare, Sanderson has the potential to be just that. The question is more about whether he will reach that potential.

Lets say Sanderson is a 40 pts Dman, there were only 30 of those in 2018-19, 30 in 2017-18, and 23 in 2016-17.

Of those ~30 dmen that are good for 40 pts, how many are elite defensive players? Jones, Hedman, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Giordano, Weber, Suter? Maybe a dozen guys in a given year check both the boxes.

Now of that dozen, how many are also really physical, throwing big hits? Weber, and Jones?

If Sanderson becomes a 40+ pts dman, he's going to be pretty special for whatever team picks him imo. If he ends up being more of a 30 pts guy, you double the number of similar players there are, still not a dime a dozen guy, but leaves me wanting more out of a 5th OA even if historically that would be a decent result.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How many physical, shutdown monsters with offensive upside are there? If you're looking for rare, Sanderson has the potential to be just that. The question is more about whether he will reach that potential.

Lets say Sanderson is a 40 pts Dman, there were only 30 of those in 2018-19, 30 in 2017-18, and 23 in 2016-17.

Of those ~30 dmen that are good for 40 pts, how many are elite defensive players? Jones, Hedman, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Giordano, Weber, Suter? Maybe a dozen guys in a given year check both the boxes.

Now of that dozen, how many are also really physical, throwing big hits? Weber, and Jones?

If Sanderson becomes a 40+ pts dman, he's going to be pretty special for whatever team picks him imo. If he ends up being more of a 30 pts guy, you double the number of similar players there are, still not a dime a dozen guy, but leaves me wanting more out of a 5th OA even if historically that would be a decent result.

40 points and top 3 defense in league is what Doughty basically was for half his career. Or when Vlasic was getting Norris votes in 15/16. That's best defender in the league conversation.

Heck, Slavin is a 30 point guy with top 3 defense and is considered as a top 10 d-man. Sanderson is more physical than Slavin, and would be vital in the high octane offense conference we are in.

There is definite hugeeee incentives to draft this guy.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He's not at the top of my list... But I really wouldn't be too mad. I think there's a lot more skill at 5 that him, but I said that about Brady at 4 in 2018 and I was totally wrong about that pick, along with thousands of others.

I believe this draft is better than that draft and most others, so I have a hard time taking Sanderson with Raymond/Rossi/Perfetti still on the board.

In terms of Drysdale vs. Sanderson, I think that Drysdale will be the bigger star, and plays RHD which fills a need, but Sanderson will be better defensively and potentially all around, and that is more of a need for us in terms of building a contender as we already have Chabot and Brannstrom to move the puck. So I'd be fine taking Sanderson over Drysdale. I'm just not 100% sure he's the BPA but I have trust in Trent Mann.

Hopefully Brad Berry plays him with JBD this year at UND (if they play) to start forming some chemistry.

Reactions: derriko

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would because I trust Trent Mann, but I would certainly be surprised if he happened to be the pick.
I cant see it happening, especially with all the chatter from direct sources to the team going around. Id be shocked if its not Drysdale or Raymond.

I do think the Sens need to upgrade their left side. Having a player in the Sens system like Sanderson would boost it greatly with the shutdown and physical aspect and Brannstrom could fully move over on the right side which he's so comfortable with.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Wolanin- Thomson

Seems way more balanced offensively and defensively on the backend. I don't know why but I get Seth Jones kind of impact vibes from Sanderson. But really hoping for Raymond/Rossi. Could address in the 2nd a more physical dman with Tyler Kleven.
The right side needs the boost not the left. Left defense right now is the stongest position in the organization. The sens have to pick a player that wont miss here, he has proven the least of the majority of players being projected to be picked in the top 10. Dont get me wrong I trust the scouting department, however id rather go with a safer option personally. I just dont see how Drysdale isnt at worst a guy that can carry the second pair. Upside for him could be Nierdermayer. Thats as safe as it gets. With all the other picks and the forward depth of the draft i just want the team to take as many shots at getting a star in the late first and second round.

Get the center get the d man then swing for the fences 5 times in the top 60 after you solidify the most important positions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad