Speculation: Poll: Who would be your choice for new Head Coach of the Oilers?

Who would you choose as the Oilers new Head Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Actually Ron Wilson just for the Post game quotes. He was hilarious in Toronto. And trade for Kessel because he loves Kessel!

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Sheldon Keefe. I'm going to keep on that train. A young, progressive, players coach who has excelled at every level of coaching and has an excellent grasp of the new hockey game. He's not another Eakins.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Anyone saying Oates, you must not have watched his Caps teams. I did. No to Oates. No to Sutter as well, the league is moving past his style of play. I'm with Jet Walters in that I'd settle for MacT as an interim for the rest of the season, and then find one in the offseason. If nothing else works, then Nelson or Krueger, but that's unlikely.

Reactions: Aerrol

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Although there’s plenty of names listed some are not realistic. I would’ve voted Kruger however there’s no chance he comes back to a team that dumped him over Skype. Same with Nelson. Sutter definitely has the highest pedigree of the list, so I chose him.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I liked what Terry Murray did in LA. Different time though, kinda old school.
I think a lot of Dave Tippett too, but I'd be afraid of what kind of system he'd bring.
I think Darryl Sutter is the kind of guy you bring to push a team to the cup finals (a lot like Keenan was).

I don't love any of these options though. Tippett though cause he got the most of his players.

Ralph Krueger for assistant would be STELLAR though.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I voted Nelson of the options available, but I'd actually prefer to pick up a top AHL coach - Sullivan in Pitt and Cooper in Tampa both really have impressed me over the past few years. Be nice if we could discover the next up and comer....but of course, we also risk getting another Eakins...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Was actually a good interview with Sutter on the athletic. First off, Sutter mentioned he's been watching a lot of Oilers and Flames games from the farm, which is great, hehe. But he also talked about how the game is changing. Sutter commented about how just defending is not as important anymore. Not even just being good at checking. League is moving to checking and speed and fast transition play.

Commented also on the Kings how just adding a couple quick players up front has had a major change on their transition game. I would assume he also recognizes the general change in play style the Kings have had in comparison to what he kept trying to drive home to recreate past success (which ultimately failed).

Overall, he seems like a guy that has learned from the past and he understands what's happening to the game. I honestly wish we would hire him after reading that interview. Of course along with a new GM that is not obsessed about "heavy hockey".

Reactions: Del Preston

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sheldon Keefe. I'm going to keep on that train. A young, progressive, players coach who has excelled at every level of coaching and has an excellent grasp of the new hockey game. He's not another Eakins.
As a Leafs fan, Here is a little overview of Sheldon Keefe that might help you get a little more knowledge on Keefe. I posted it before but thought I would post it againl. I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. This is shown by his record as well as coaching overall. I agree he has had some good rosters at his disposal, but it seems he knows how to use them properly and effectively. Here are some stats from his time with the Marlies so far. These arent accurate as they are a little outdated now but only by about a month.
2015-2016
GFA: 3.87 (1st)
GAA: 2.51 (4th)
PP: 17.4% (10th)
PK: 84.0% (12th)
2016-2017
GFA: 3.22 (8th)
GAA: 2.72 (11th)
PP: 22.3% (4th)
PK: 81.8% (17th)
SFA: 30.72 (9th)
SAA: 28.47 (6th)

2017-2018
GFA: 3.26 (9th)
GAA: 1.91 (1st)
PP: 15.4% (24th)
PK: 89.3% (1st)
SFA: 30.26 (12th)
SAA: 28.91 (10th)
The Marlies play a puck possession style that focuses on discipline in all 3 zones. Discipline as in work ethic, and playing the way we want to play.
Grades on Coaching Aspects
System: 4.5/5
Accountability: 4.5/5
In Game Coaching: 4/5
Game to Game Coaching: 4.5/5
Communication: 4.5/5
Adaptibility: 4.5/5
Strengths
He seems to get a lot out of the players, and seems to handle young players well. He gives youngsters more leeway when they make mistakes, but if the mistakes continue to happen, he isn't afraid to limit their ice time or even bench them.
His teams are for the most part organized on the ice
He is incredibly honest. If he feels the team didn't play well, he will say it and won't sugarcoat the performance.
He will give players more ice time if hefeels they are going in a certain game.
Weaknesses
For the 1st one and a half years, his team was sloppy in the defensive zone. Silly plays and turnovers, which got me annoyed as well. Then on Feb 22nd 2017, associate coach Gord Dineen who handled the defence was let go, and since then they have improved a lot.. At times they are still sloppy, but much less than before
In his 1st season, Keefe had this weirdhabit of starting TJ. Brennan in the defensive zone. Brennan is one of the top offensive d man in the AHL, but is a disaster defensively, so IDK why Keefe liked to play him there

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Was actually a good interview with Sutter on the athletic. First off, Sutter mentioned he's been watching a lot of Oilers and Flames games from the farm, which is great, hehe. But he also talked about how the game is changing. Sutter commented about how just defending is not as important anymore. Not even just being good at checking. League is moving to checking and speed and fast transition play.

Commented also on the Kings how just adding a couple quick players up front has had a major change on their transition game. I would assume he also recognizes the general change in play style the Kings have had in comparison to what he kept trying to drive home to recreate past success (which ultimately failed).

Overall, he seems like a guy that has learned from the past and he understands what's happening to the game. I honestly wish we would hire him after reading that interview. Of course along with a new GM that is not obsessed about "heavy hockey".
Whichever team hires Sutter is getting a good coach. His time was just up in LA.

I've been hoping for the Oilers to hire him since November when things got out of control. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Calgary, unfortunately.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Whichever team hires Sutter is getting a good coach. His time was just up in LA.

I've been hoping for the Oilers to hire him since November when things got out of control. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Calgary, unfortunately.

Well, "luckily" for us the Flames are still in the race and likely won't be turfing their coach anytime soon... whereas the Oilers...

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I picked Keenan, just as a troll vote.

Could you imagine this group of young players having to deal with iron Mike?

:biglaugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can't really argue with Sutters track record.

If he realizes the game is moving more towards speed and transition then that should seal the deal.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
At least we would be entertained with good ol Sutter. Currently we have a snooze fest of non-answers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sutter would be a disagrace. It would just be awful to watch a team he coaches.

I picked other, because one of you probably need to do it, or it would be the same problem we have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad