(Poll) Who is "Untouchable" for the 2018 TDL and Offseason?

Select which players you would NOT trade this TDL or offseason (assuming fair market value):

• Total voters

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Who would you NOT trade this year (TDL and offseason)?

Assume a reasonable/fair return. If there's someone you would rather not trade but would let go if the Capitals received a ridiculously unfair and unlikely return then that person is considered "untouchable" because nobody is going to pay your price.

(select all that apply)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I see votes but no comments. My list:

Carlson
Djoos
Holtby
Kuzy
Orlov
Oshie
Ovechkin
Wilson
Vrana

IMO these are guys who have something unique in their games you don't want to ship out before you see it in full form, preferably in the Cup finals one day.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Carlson
Connolly
Djoos
Eller
Kuznetsov
Niskanen
Orlov
Ovechkin
Stephenson
Wilson
Vrana

In order of appearance in the poll. Obviously a guy like Connolly isn't a core piece nor does he hold much value but I voted for him since I'd just rather keep him. Would like Eller and Carlson re-signed as long as their demands aren't too high.

Assuming they flame out in the playoffs again I'd like to see Backstrom traded. It looks like he's a case of a guy becoming too slow and the league becoming too fast. Ovechkin seems to have adjusted but I don't know if Backstrom can as he's never been a fast player. Same applies for Oshie although I think his issues right now are mostly injury related.

At this point I'd just like to see Ovechkin kept. I don't know if I could handle seeing him in another jersey. The guy will probably end up with around 800 goals... this franchise won't see anybody like him ever again.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I went with:
Ovechkin
Holtby
Carlson
Djoos
Niskanen
Orlov

Defense wins championships!

That being said, when I saw the offer on the main board trade thread on Holtby involving the Blues and the offer was Parayko, Robert Thomas (their first round pick in '17) and their next 1st round draft pick for Holtby, I would take that and run.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom
Carlson
Kuznetsov
Niskanen
Orlov
Ovechkin

I picked the top 2 Cs, top 3 D, and their generational winger. I like players like Vrana, Holtby, Djoos, Eller, and Wilson but I don't consider them untouchable.

Realistically I could see an Ovechkin trade making sense objectively but emotionally I just don't know if there is any return would make me happy. Backstrom's had a rough go this season but he's been a good 1C on a good contract for years now. I don't really see a return that makes sense unless you blow up the team. And if you blow up the team you have to trade Ovechkin. Kuznetsov's issues seem entirely correctable so I'm not willing to sell on him when it's unlikely to receive a similar quality player in return.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Aside from a few marginal 4th liners like Smith Pelley, Stephenson and Chiasson i say no-one on this team should get traded this year. They do need to fill some holes like someone better than Bowey and maybe another forward who can chip in but the youngsters should be sent down instead of being traded away. They should use their available draft picks to make the trades.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Interesting that Orlov is leading the voting.

A notable omission from my list that appears on others is Niskanen, and I agree you don't trade him at the TDL but I would listen to deals in the offseason.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No one? It kind of depends on the method motivating said actions. Without that it's just kind of random. Realistically, a number of players are virtually untouchable given ownership's thinking but that may only extend to two or three players.

They don't sell at deadlines and beyond that is anyone's guess depending on what happens with the playoffs and the eventual fates of MacLellan/Trotz.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No one? It kind of depends on the method motivating said actions. Without that it's just kind of random. Realistically, a number of players are virtually untouchable given ownership's thinking but that may only extend to two or three players.

They don't sell at deadlines and beyond that is anyone's guess depending on what happens with the playoffs and the eventual fates of MacLellan/Trotz.

It's an opinion poll not a prediction poll.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's an opinion poll not a prediction poll.
Then, uh, still no one. Realistically, I'm more interested in which of the prospects/picks people would set off-limits. Not that they're stacked in that regard but under the status quo (despite what they've said recently) those are likely still more in danger than half the roster or more. Plus, A handful of players are pending UFAs anyhow.

IMO there's nothing truly unique about anyone that in itself makes them untouchable aside from Ovechkin at this point. Everyone else carries varying degrees of importance but either no longer or haven't yet carved out that level of undeniable or irreplaceable value. In the right deal that makes sense otherwise, it's hard to categorically say no even on a general level. Even dealing Ovechkin could make sense depending on what else is afoot. Again, a hard call to make treating everyone or every move in isolation.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not that many. Voted Orlov, Niskanen and Kuznetsov.

Orlov is a cheap potential top-pairing guy who skates and moves the puck well. Signed long-term. No-brainer.

Niskanen plays lots of tough minutes and honestly main reason i voted for him is that guys like him are hard to acquire. I would trade him for a really good offer, but i doubt they would get that for him.

Kuznetsov is there simply because they aren't going to trade both him and Backstrom, and keeping Kuznetsov just makes more sense.

Ovechkin is essentially untouchable but his trade value is still out of this world for all he brings, so if someone wants to gut their team to acquire him, let them do it.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Since you're including the off-season, no one.
The closest is Ovie, but I think his value is going to start declining rapidly over the next couple seasons, so it makes sense to at least listen to offers and think about reshaping the team in the hopes of a different postseason outcome.

TDL is a different story. If they're first or second in the Metro at that point and look competitive then you have to take another run with this group.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
OV
Niskanen
Orlov
Vrana
Wilson
Kuzy
Eller

Team needs to focus on speed and skill. The rest of the list are either expendable or too slow.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I wouldnt trade
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Vrana
Wilson
Carlson
Orlov
Djoos
Bowey
Holtby
I think it would be better to try and keep our young dmen and develope them good dmen are hard to find.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
My votes
Backstrom (He has earned it IMO)
Bowey (Don't trade good yound Dman)
Carlson (Don't trade good Dman)
Djoos
Eller (He is worth his contract)
Holtby (Don't trade franchise goalies)
Kuzy (Still think there is a good player in there somewhere)
Niskanen
Orlov
Ovie (I shouldn't even need to say a word here)
Wilson (I think he just brings a lot that I'm not seeing easily replaced)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It says a little something about the state of our farm system that there isn't a single prospect who people view as a future cornerstone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ah...the good ole days when you could trade Gartner for Dino. Realistically, the untouchable question is not nearly as relevant as who might get traded. The Caps wont sell at the deadline. Offseason? Eller? not the way he is playing now. Burt? Maybe.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eller's contract is expiring, so it comes down to how much he's asking for his next contract. If he asks for too much, try to trade him before the draft or let him walk.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It says a little something about the state of our farm system that there isn't a single prospect who people view as a future cornerstone.

I wouldn't say that. Defensively a number of guys made my list, and there are some guys in the minors I wouldn't trade. Offensively it gets tougher. Vrana was close to making my list and I still put Kuzy on there.....barely....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->