[poll]Who Gives Less f***s

Who Gives Less f***s

• Total voters

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Jim Benning. He doesnt care so long as he gets to have the title GM.

As much as the Aquilinis may be invovled I highly doubt they are telling Benning to over pay player X by Y.

Benning cant even be arsed to do the most fundamental GM job of negotiating player contracts.

Hes that f***ing bad.

Reactions: Dab and elitepete

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Think about it.....if you're intent on tanking and slimming down the payroll, this is the year to do it.

Canuck fans might be outraged and disillusioned about what's happening right now. But all they're really doing is rattling around like an echo chamber on social media.

There's no fans in the building to boo them off the ice. Attendance isn't being impacted, because there isn't any. And the cast of 'talking heads' on radio whipping up a frenzy about the failing hockey team, has just been cut in half.

It seems apparent the owner has the GM on a short-leash, and if even he doesn't, nobody can really make any trades anyway because of COVID.

And if the owner intended to clean house in the off-season, then a disastrous season on the ice gives him all the ammo he needs. And rest assured the Canucks will be walking away from another bunch of UFA's in the off-season and the payroll will be shrunk further.

It's almost as if the owner is privately saying: "the league is making us play games; we're losing our ass with every game; and there's zero financial advantage for 'making the playoffs'.

Canuck fans need to chill out. If the owner doesn't care, why should you?

Reactions: Dab and ChilliBilly

Radiolad

Jun 24, 2006
Calgary
Its so hard to give a SH** right now because we have been rebuilding for almost a decade. The team dangled a carrot in front of us in the playoffs last year and we thought it was our time to shine again....enter Jim Benning.....IMO he botched the offseason and spent way too much trying to land OLE while certain players who now reside in Alberta were going " Hey...what about me?"
I will be the first one to the party when Benning is fired.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
bad management+poor product+pandemic attendance restrictions = fan apathy

equation of the day

Edit: oh yeah, and the NHL head office is to blame for it all. Like always, they're targeting the Canucks...

Reactions: Dab

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The Aquilinis.

They don't care, so long as the franchise is making some kind of revenue, even through TV contracts.

The Aquilinis care: they are hands on owners that want to win and want to make money. Problem is they're bottom 5 percentile in terms of hockey IQ, so almost everything they meddle in turns to shit.

Reactions: Dab and Cogburn

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Owners. If they actually gave a **** about the direction and future of this team, Management would’ve been swept clean and replaced with a competent management team years ago. They sat around and watched their idiot GM sign useless players to expensive long term contracts in the hopes of generating a little extra revenue, they failed as Benning put the team in Cap hell and actually made the team worse with his key signings.

2016 miss playoffs
2017 miss playoffs
2018 miss playoffs
2019 miss playoffs
2020 made playoffs* (bubble)
2021 miss playoffs

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Ownership. They don't live and die with it everyday like all the other options do.

The owners have other things to worry about / enjoy.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The Aquilinis.

They don't care, so long as the franchise is making some kind of revenue, even through TV contracts.

This couldn't be any more off base.

I've had a chat with Francesco (after the canuck's win in San Jose 2011 play-offs, he came to the bar with Jeff Mallet, and some other affluent buds. Mallett happened to be an investor in the company i was working for at time, Indochino, and is one of the owners of the White Caps IIRC. having met Mallett, i kinda got into their circle and was drinking with them. there's a story about a dude who drank with them and made a story about getting alcohol poisoning sound like it was epic, even though it was a cool night, but ok, not epic just because u couldn't handle your booze. Oddly, Judge Reinhold was also there and he hit on my girlfriend. Note: i absolutely don't care if you believe this or not. )

From the chat, I can definitively say, the Aquilinis are absolute fans. They not only want the team to win, they are willing to literally spend money for it. They also don't want a boring team. They want scoring. They own the team because they like hockey, not as a money generator. I literally asked "Why buy a hockey team", and his response "It's not like I did it to make money. There are better investments, but I don't tune into watch them three times a week."

This is what drives me nuts about people that bitch about them. (Not saying you are, Cogburn). If any of us here were owners, we'd have the exact same involvement as the Aquilinis do. bUt tHeY mEdDle is a comical statement considering A) Any of us would do exactly what they are doing B) How TF does someone "meddle" in their own affairs. They own the team. They absolute can, and should mandate how some things are to go.

Reactions: Dab and vanuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I've had a chat with Francesco (after the canuck's win in San Jose 2011 play-offs, he came to the bar with Jeff Mallet, and some other affluent buds. Mallett happened to be an investor in the company i was working for at time, Indochino, and is one of the owners of the White Caps IIRC. having met Mallett, i kinda got into their circle and was drinking with them. there's a story about a dude who drank with them and made a story about getting alcohol poisoning sound like it was epic, even though it was a cool night, but ok, not epic just because u couldn't handle your booze. Oddly, Judge Reinhold was also there and he hit on my girlfriend. Note: i absolutely don't care if you believe this or not. )

From the chat, I can definitively say, the Aquilinis are absolute fans. They not only want the team to win, they are willing to literally spend money for it. They also don't want a boring team. They want scoring. They own the team because they like hockey, not as a money generator. I literally asked "Why buy a hockey team", and his response "It's not like I did it to make money. There are better investments, but I don't tune into watch them three times a week."

This is what drives me nuts about people that bitch about them. (Not saying you are, Cogburn). If any of us here were owners, we'd have the exact same involvement as the Aquilinis do. bUt tHeY mEdDle is a comical statement considering A) Any of us would do exactly what they are doing B) How TF does someone "meddle" in their own affairs. They own the team. They absolute can, and should mandate how some things are to go.

I have said nothing about meddling. I'd like to think if I had the capital, and made an investment like this, and I screwed it up as badly as the Canucks are, someone in my inner circle would tell me though.

If they gave any kind of a shit, then why is there no accountability for management and the colossal failures we, as fans, have watched happen? Why do we have first timers at nearly every position, every time there is a staffing change, since they became owners (barring Vignault, a sub-500 coach on a tail spinning Habs, and Tortorella, who I honestly, in retrospect, think was just a press stunt)?

Maybe it's the allure of being known as the Canucks owners in Vancouver, more then the money. The quote doesn't instill me with confidence about how much they care, or know about the team, either.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

What on earth are you talking about. So just because the Aqulinis can meddle nobody should criticize them for it if they hurt the team by doing so? Because Benning can trade Pettersson for a 5th rounder no fans should have an opinion on the wisdom of that trade? Just because Green can play Sutter at 1st line centre nobody should comment if he did so?

What a bunch of nonsense.

The Aquilinis have to come to the realization that they suck at building a hockey team, get rid of puppet Benning and get a solid management group in who they let manage.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for sharing.

Personally I don't doubt that the Aquilini's - or Francesco, at the very least - care a ton about the Canucks. He may be a mega-rich local guy but his at very core he's a passionate diehard fan just like the rest of us. From a hockey perspective, his willingness to spend to the cap in order to win is the kind of thing you want to see from ownership.

However I honestly, deeply believe that if as an owner you want your team to succeed over the long run (and generate revenue, even if he really doesn't care about that) you need to leave hockey-related decisions to the people who know what they're doing - despite it being your team and you having every right to do whatever you want with it. And this includes things like not demanding that they make the playoffs when the team clearly needs a rebuild. Or forcing a coach on the GM who has his reasons to be against it. Or hiring someone who says they're going to compete and then proceeds to fall flat on their face over the next 6 years.

To me there's a disconnect between what Aquilini can do and what he should do if he truly wants what he says he wants (the Canucks winning a Stanley Cup one day). I don't think anyone can doubt his level of passion and investment as a fan. The problem is when it comes to actually letting competent people do their jobs, and conversely not letting incompetent nincompoops stay around year after year with little evidence of self-reflection or learning.

Based on recent rumours about the Aquilini's, other members of the family are starting to get concerned about the team losing value because of the on-ice product. This makes sense because in the long-term, fans will eventually wise up - as we're beginning to see even with the casuals - and ultimately they have a voice and the right to vote with their wallets too.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Wow!....the ultimate 'fan-boy' post here. I mean what is Francesco going to say to a casual drinking companion in a bar: "I know the team has sucked for seven years, but I have a GM who's putty in my hands'? And if the fans are upset--tough titty."

I mean come on.....but sounds to me like you're a lucky man. I can think of a lot of girlfriends who, if they were hit upon by Judge Renhold, wouldn't hesitate to 'trade up'.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I have to say the fans... many Canuck fans I know in real life who were fans as kids right to adults just don’t care about the team and many are turning to a 2nd team, when they never had a 2nd team. Usually my Facebook feed is full of Canuck talk from friends and family and I haven’t seen anything this year from anyone!

For myself, I’m watching the Flames now and this is a first in the decade or so since I’ve moved to Calgary, never would watch them in the past, that would go against the 30 years of being a Canuck fan!!! The owners have gotten complacent with the loyalty of Canuck fans over the past few decades, I don’t think they realize how much fan loyalty they have lost. But it’s not my business, not my problem.

Reactions: Dab and ChilliBilly

Radiolad

Jun 24, 2006
Calgary
I have to say the fans... many Canuck fans I know in real life who were fans as kids right to adults just don’t care about the team and many are turning to a 2nd team, when they never had a 2nd team. Usually my Facebook feed is full of Canuck talk from friends and family and I haven’t seen anything this year from anyone!

For myself, I’m watching the Flames now and this is a first in the decade or so since I’ve moved to Calgary, never would watch them in the past, that would go against the 30 years of being a Canuck fan!!! The owners have gotten complacent with the loyalty of Canuck fans over the past few decades, I don’t think they realize how much fan loyalty they have lost. But it’s not my business, not my problem.

I , too live in Calgary but I will never cheer for another team. Canucks might not have my full support right now due to the idiotic moves Benning has made but I will always cheer for them until I draw my last breath...I'm just hoping I get to see them hoist a cup in my lifetime and that has about 25 years left.

Reactions: ChilliBilly and Dab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->