[POLL] Who gets named Captain next season?

Who gets named Captain next season?

• Total voters

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I honestly don’t get why this Mika is the captain thing has became so big on here & Ranger Twitter in the past year. He’s pretty quiet and doesn’t strike me as someone who possesses tremendous leadership qualities. Kreider exemplifies leadership far more than Mika in my opinion. I’ve always preferred a rally the troops Messier type captain over a quiet timid lead by example type like Henrik Sedin.

I get it’s clearly not popular but I think Panarin could be captain as well. I don’t think his English is that bad, watch one of the more recent promotional videos they did with him and he was speaking it just fine. Seeing his interactions with other players he’s clearly able to communicate with them just fine, and some players have said his English is better than he leads on. Ovechkin was named captain when I don’t think his English was much better than Panarins. Panarin has a larger than life personality, he’s someone who loves the pressure and I think would play even better with a C. There’s no one who even comes close to looking like they have as much fun playing the game as Panarin does other than Ovechkin, he also happens to be our best player, locked up long term, and had the most difficult path to the NHL out of any player.

Panarin grew up so poor his hockey equipment was stuff his grandpa found in a dumpster, his skates were so big he had to wear shoes inside them. His gloves were made from the leather of a boot. He was raised by his grandparents because his parents weren’t in his life, he lived in an impoverished mining town so he’d have to take a train alone to go play hockey. His grandmother would sew money into the inside of his pants so that when he got routinely shook down by thugs he wouldn’t get mugged. He had a try out for this hockey school where it was basically do or die, he was making it or going to be a miner for the rest of his life. Then he went undrafted, but somehow managed to become one of the best players in the league.

Tony D also possesses a lot of character traits of a future captain. He has an interesting backstory as well being moved twice since being drafted and looking like a bust, yet managing to turn his career around on a dime; definitely a good example for a young team with a lot of prospects. He’s one of our most extroverted & charismatic players; yet he has an edge & will fiercely stand up for any of his teammates. I believe I recall Gorton or JD saying a while ago with their next captain they want someone “controversial” and not someone milquetoast

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Went with Mika.

Feel like he's done more of the team-building things. Internal reports would also indicate that.

But post-contract, who knows what direction they go.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's either Kreidizzle or nobody imo. He's been drafted by us. Longest with the team aside from Hank and Staal.
That absolutely should not be the criteria.

Mika doesn't take games/weeks off. I cannot say the same about Kreider over his career.

The kids should look up to someone who doesn't pull disappearing acts.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I always figured Girardi should have been our captain before McDonagh or Callahan were . True warrior if ever there was one when we were having some success . The guy sacrificed his body every game without second thoughts . Those guys lead....wait until next years playoffs and pass it to Lindgren before the first game of opening series. Gives him another year to grow .

Reactions: NYRangers16

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Mika and Kreider lead by example on and off the ice. We're fine with either, but my vote is with Mika (which is no knock against Kreider).

They're both equally deserving. The team is in good hands after Hank leaves/retires.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
I think they’re waiting out Staal since it would be insulting to not give him it.
C- Zibby
A- Kreider
A- Panarin
A- DeAngelo

Gotta get a defender in there and ADA is well respected in room

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's kreider...long term deal, drafted by the team, helps with the kids in all aspects, in peak physical shape and can speak any language he needs to.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's kreider...long term deal, drafted by the team, helps with the kids in all aspects, in peak physical shape and can speak any language he needs to.
But Mika doesnt take games/weeks off. That’s the kind of leader I want wearing the C.

Reactions: Siddi

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I wonder if they worry slapping a C on Zibanejads chest only increases his negotiating position for his next deal... not that he needs it at this pace.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wonder if they worry slapping a C on Zibanejads chest only increases his negotiating position for his next deal... not that he needs it at this pace.
If they are worrying about that when it comes to naming a Captain that would be extremely troubling.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If they are worrying about that when it comes to naming a Captain that would be extremely troubling.

Not really... if they have any doubts about retaining him then they may decide to hold off. It seems Gorton will want long term success and security. I don’t think he’d want to name Z just to name someone else in a couple years.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I'm not sure it will be Mika...and the contract status is probably the biggest thing right now.

If named before the start of next season, we would only be a few months away from a McDonagh situation: captain with just a post-trade deadline and a season left. I'm sure it would not impact thinking next season--as hopefully we're pushing for a playoff spot--but then we're dealing with a whole 'will they/won't they' contract status for the captain (another Callahan situation--don't get me started on him).

I think it was decided to be Kreider once he signed the deal.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
ec5565b5514cca5148c437a9b39a76a7.gif

Reactions: Baby Punisher

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I always figured Girardi should have been our captain before McDonagh or Callahan were . True warrior if ever there was one when we were having some success . The guy sacrificed his body every game without second thoughts . Those guys lead....wait until next years playoffs and pass it to Lindgren before the first game of opening series. Gives him another year to grow .
I think I covered it pretty well and he has had a year now under his belt and certainly has not hurt his Captaincy chances by any chance . He is the guy that checks all the boxes.....get it DONE ASAP ...tomorrow .

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
up until a week ago this post wasn't aging very well.

haha... this whole thread hasn’t been aging well. Lmfao at the votes for Tony D. The “leader”. He got his racist charismatic controversial ass kicked off yet another team. The guy who made racist comments to his OWN teammates years ago.... captain? Lol.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
1 year bump?

@leetch99 was browsing on these boards for 62 minutes looking for this thread. I respect this.

C - Fox
A - Kreider
A - Zbad

Yes. I’m on the Fox Wagon.

All American, blueline straddling, all-situational, super nerd. Adam Fox.

I’m pretty sure he’s the new Captain America too.

639A96E8-DCCD-4DDC-9791-8DBB867F345C.jpeg

2E8BEB44-FEC6-4065-88C2-BDE91F8FE528.jpeg

Reactions: Kodiak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad