Poll: Which would you rather see?

Which would you rather see?

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
He will be remembered as a greater player with 2 Cups and #2 all time in goals than with 1 Cup and 900 goals.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
He will be remembered as a greater player with 2 Cups and #2 all time in goals than with 1 Cup and 900 goals.
Fair point, but breaking Gretzky’s record when you consider the disparity of the eras they played in would be absolutely insane. Like on par with Ripken’s consecutive games record insane. The entire sports world would be following it

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Win a second Cup with Ovi. I don't care too much about the goal scoring record.

Reactions: crab

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Fair point, but breaking Gretzky’s record when you consider the disparity of the eras they played in would be absolutely insane. Like on par with Ripken’s consecutive games record insane. The entire sports world would be following it
It’s fun while it’s going on but it doesn’t resonate years later like a championship if you’re a fan. When I think of 99s greatest moment for LA it’s the hatty vs Toronto and not 802 and that wasn’t even a Cup.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
There will be more chances to win the Cup down the road.

There definitely won't be more chances to see my favourite athlete of all time break the most prestigious record in hockey. There probably won't be any more chances to see any player at all break that record.

Probably in the minority, but I'll go with the latter. If forced to choose, of course.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm a Capitals fan first and foremost so obviously a Cup. It's the ultimate goal. Besides as nice it would be i don’t think Ovechkin breaking that record means much more to any real fan. Fans who don’t follow the sport will recognize him more if he did but he's already the hands down greatest goalscorer to ever play the game. Gretzky was ridiculous but goalscoring wasn't even the best part of his game and many don’t see him as the greatest goalscorer even Pre-Ovi. Goaltending has also grown so much from those days. Put Peak Ovechkin shooting against those goalies and he breaks 100 goals with ease. He is a much better goalscorer than Mogilny and Selanne for example and they both had 75+ goal seasons.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would love to see Ovi break the record, but there won't be a parade, or fountains, or a week long bender, when it happens.

I'll take the Cup, it changes the whole city! Even non hockey fans participate. Non hockey fans won't even know he passed Gretzky.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I would love to see Ovi break the record, but there won't be a parade, or fountains, or a week long bender, when it happens.

I'll take the Cup, it changes the whole city! Even non hockey fans participate. Non hockey fans won't even know he passed Gretzky.

Anyone who comes within a ten foot radius of me will know it. lol

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I can't vote to be anything but selfish on this one and say both. I think he will break the goals record. I think the cup takes so many fortunate bounces that we finally got in '18 to reasonably think it'll happen again.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Randy Gregg has 5 cups, and I'm sure even the Oilers fans already forgot about him
Jimmy Roberts has 5 cups, but I'm pretty sure, you will google him to see if this was a real player, or I just put a random name here.

Another Cup would be great but 895 it's for eternity

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Had Ovie never won a Cup, it would be a Cup for sure.
Now that Ovie helped break the Capitals drought, I'm all aboard the 895 train. I would love some more Cups along the way, but seeing Ovechkins name in the record books for an all-time record like that would be truly incredible. And I think it will have reverberations far beyond the typical hockey crowd. Barry Bonds' home run chase become evening news and a national spectacle, and Ovechkin is a far more beloved player than the obviously juicing Bonds was. The NHL won't be what the MLB is within the cultural zeitgeist, but Ovechkin breaking the record will certainly be noticed on a widespread level.

Jun 15, 2007
Had Ovie never won a Cup, it would be a Cup for sure.
Now that Ovie helped break the Capitals drought, I'm all aboard the 895 train. I would love some more Cups along the way, but seeing Ovechkins name in the record books for an all-time record like that would be truly incredible. And I think it will have reverberations far beyond the typical hockey crowd. Barry Bonds' home run chase become evening news and a national spectacle, and Ovechkin is a far more beloved player than the obviously juicing Bonds was. The NHL won't be what the MLB is within the cultural zeitgeist, but Ovechkin breaking the record will certainly be noticed on a widespread level.

Yeah the difference between no cups and one cup is huge.

The difference between one cup and two cups is pretty small.

Reactions: ovikovy817

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
802 goals and another Cup will be fine with me.
yup
#1 = The Cup. is always the answer.
#2 = 802 is the realistic obtainable goal and should happen in 2022-23, I'd be thrilled if he makes it much past that (around 750 at end of 2020-21, around 785-790 at end of 2021-22)
It's impossible to know how his body is going to hold up at age 37-39 having to go from 802-895 with no milestones to catch in between (except for climbing the all-time points ladder)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Randy Gregg has 5 cups, and I'm sure even the Oilers fans already forgot about him
Jimmy Roberts has 5 cups, but I'm pretty sure, you will google him to see if this was a real player, or I just put a random name here.

Another Cup would be great but 895 it's for eternity

I was under the impression that engraving is for eternity as well :)

S5SCTAWFWII6RHAPF75PNVBCVI.jpg

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The Cup obviously. It will ensure the 2010-2020/2025 Capitals team's spot among the greatest teams ever. And it wll solidify Ovechkin as one of the greatest players to ever lace em up. Gretzky record? I mean he can play until he's 41 and get the 2nd place or he can play until he's like 43 and get that record. Ask yourself does the latter scenario boosts his status as much as the former one but with second cup to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->