Poll: What was favorite goal of the playoffs?

What series had your favorite goal from the playoffs?

• Total voters

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The series winning goal by Maroon was the most dramatic. I think it will go down as the single biggest goal in the history of the franchise.

My favorite was Sanford’s game 7 vs the B’s to go up 4-0. When Schenn scored and it was 3-0 I was happy because it gave them breathing room. I wasn’t relaxed until the Sanford goal. The absolute joy Perron showed after that goal was really fun to watch.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Sanford’s goal from Perron in G7. Loved Perron’s elusiveness on that play and his celebration.

“We’re gonna win!”
He said what we were all thinking in that moment. Its really going to happen!

I'm sure the players had the same thoughts we did as they played with the one goal, then 2 goal lead. Its nice to have a lead, and you feel like you should win the game, but Boston is going to make a push. They had to have the same doubts even as they played with their positive mindset. But that goal made it clear there was no collapse that was going to put the game in doubt. Add to that the fact that Perron had gotten to the Finals the year prior and suffered the disappointment of coming up short. It had to be very sweet.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
1. Sanford's goal to go up 4-0 at the end of game 7. I remember jumping up and down shouting "We're gonna f******* win! and then reading Perron's lips saying the exact same thing while hugging Sanford and O'Reilly. The Blues winning the Cup became a reality for me at precisely that moment. It was the moment I had been waiting for my entire life.

2. Maroon's series clincher against Dallas in game 7 double OT. No explanation really needed. It was a storybook moment. It could be made into its own 30 for 30 documentary if ESPN actually gave a shit about hockey

3. Blais blasts a slapshot past Bishop in game 6 vs Dallas on a breakaway and looks like a total boss doing it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
For me it will forever be the moment the Big Rig took out the trash.

Pat Maroon isn't a Pietrangelo or a Thomas but even he stepped up and found an extra gear at that moment. When players like him rise to the occasion on a team that's firing on all cylinders, fighting for every inch and refusing to say no, refusing to lay down and die and refusing to lose, you know you're going somewhere. I feel like the moment Maroon finished what Thomas beautifully started and Gloria started playing was the moment people really started to believe that this Blues team was different.

Last season for me made up for every single mistake, every single poor trade, every single misstep the franchise took, not just because they won but because of how. They stepped on the ice with fire, with integrity and heart and when they got hammered, they bounced right back. THAT is the Blues team I have waited almost 50 years of my life to see. And to win it on Boston ice...

I'm not crying... I swear...

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Not necessarily my favorite goal, but I loved how Tarasenko straight up dominated the Sharks. It kicked off an 8 game point streak with 10 points in 8 game. He was pulling scoring chances out of his ass and he really looked like a complete player in that time.

But the penalty shot was probably my favorite

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Pietrangelo's G7 goal was the one for me. We've seen that scenario play out the against us so many times for the blues that you just knew that we'd take control after.
I think of that late period goal against the Kings that (was it Mason or Elliott by then?) gave up from like the blue line with maybe 8 seconds left. It was a back breaker psychologically, and Hitchcock’s reaction to it didn’t help matters. We’ve been on that side of things before many times.

I don’t know how Boston’s locker room was after the first period being down 0-2. It had to be tough. When the 2nd period went by scoreless, the sphincters had to be tightening.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
One that I don’t think has been mentioned is ROR’s opener in game 7 against Boston. Didn’t play particularly well to that point, Binnington weathered the storm, and then that JayBo shot/Slap pass to the ROR deflection was incredible.

One that has been mentioned, but is definitely my favorite was the Schwartz goal out of mid air with seconds left to cap off the comeback. That stuff just never happens for the Blues, it’s always against us. That’s when I started to believe we could make a real run.

Reactions: jura and JoshFromMO

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I think of that late period goal against the Kings that (was it Mason or Elliott by then?) gave up from like the blue line with maybe 8 seconds left. It was a back breaker psychologically, and Hitchcock’s reaction to it didn’t help matters. We’ve been on that side of things before many times.

I don’t know how Boston’s locker room was after the first period being down 0-2. It had to be tough. When the 2nd period went by scoreless, the sphincters had to be tightening.
The Kings goal that sticks in my mind is the one that Jeff Carter scored directly off a face off that effectively sealed the Blues’ fate that game.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I really did love that penalty shot goal by Vladdy against the Sharks. Sharks fans were hoping for a big stop from their goalie to start a come-back rally. When Vladdy came and ripped that shot past Jones it looked like a pro blowing it past a kid in juniors. It was a no-doubter and it was fun to watch Sharks fans behind the net drop their heads in despair after watching their goalie get completely outmatched.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I voted quickly for the Maroon goal man that was awesome.

After reading the thread the Schwartz and Petro goals deserve some love.

But let's not forget this beaut... From an unlikely player, more shocking then the Boom Boom good IMO

Sent with @Nhl

Edit, sorry Simon posted this earlier and I missed his post

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
schwartz 1 because i was correct in predicting it, as usual

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Another one that wasn’t in a critical moment or anything, but was awesome nonetheless was Vladdy’s stutter step move to blow past Heiskanen and roof it blocker side on Bishop. Not many players can get past Heiskanen like that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Boom Boom Gunnarsson.

It was the franchise's first ever win in the Stanley Cup Final and it kept the series alive. I felt like we were the better team that night, but I definitely had those negative thoughts creeping in that "man it would be heartbreaking to come home down 2-0 after the effort we have put forward." My computer background is still the celebration from that goal.

There are some great answers in this thread and so many "correct" options.

Reactions: jura and Ranksu

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Already here on page 1 but put me down for Schenn in Game 7 to go up 3-0.
Not so much because of Schenn(all he did was tap it in) but because of the play Vladdy made in setting it up.

Sheer dominance move by Vladdy in the neutral zone, then out-raced both Chara and McAvoy to the puck, then made a pure skill feed to the front for Schenn to tap in the back-breaker in the game.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
One of the best moment. Love it and thank you @TheDizee

Btw is that Jim Ross also laughing or somebody else? That is funny too.

tenor.gif

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I still think Lindell's flopping may have cost him a call on the GWG by Maroon later in the game.

Reactions: Ranksu

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I really did love that penalty shot goal by Vladdy against the Sharks. Sharks fans were hoping for a big stop from their goalie to start a come-back rally. When Vladdy came and ripped that shot past Jones it looked like a pro blowing it past a kid in juniors. It was a no-doubter and it was fun to watch Sharks fans behind the net drop their heads in despair after watching their goalie get completely outmatched.

upload_2019-5-9_21-24-32.jpeg

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It feels like a hell of a long time since the Sharks pulled off that sneaky double trade through Boston, getting Jones out of LA. It seemed like a great pick up at the time.

I haven't made it very far in the rewatch (I fell asleep trying to watch game 3 vs the jets on 3 separate attempts), but from my memory of the run Jones cost them the series with some straight up abysmal play in net.

I remember having a dialogue with a sharks fan a while back, after the loss about the state of their team heading forward burdened with their massive contracts on aging players (Vlassic, Burns, Jones, Couture etc) and being reassured that their team was going to compete for the cup and Jones was going to rebound. The most vivid memory of the discussion I have is that Jones' numbers would return to the sub 2.50 GAA & 0.915 SV% average from the previous 3 seasons, that the 2018-19 season was a one off and didn't reflect the team in front of him losing a step, exposing his less than stellar play.

I'll see if I can dig up the discussion.

Edit :

Well, that's not what I remembered, but I'll share the comment that started it and subsequent replies because they add something.

SJS fan:
Good for Joe.

I think the Sharks have about 4-5 years left of being one of the cup favorite's, after that, it maybe a slow decline with this core.

Me:
I think that blue line causes that window to close a bit earlier. 2-3 years as a contender, absolutely. 4-5 is a bit optimistic.

Burns is 34.
Vlassic at 32 isn't a big deal.
Karlsson's recent injuries have me wondering if he hits 34 before he starts slowing down. Those groin issues have been bothering him for a year now and severely impacting him. I wonder how many teams noticed him wilt under the hits St Louis laid on him in the playoffs and intentionally try to light him up during the regular season.

Kane is a candidate for heavy regression in the next 2-3 years based on the Lucic, Backes and Simmonds models for power forwards.

And Jones, well... Jones is going to determine how deep playoff runs are during that window, where you can win in spite of him but he hasn't been stealing games/series since the 2016-17 SCF appearance for you guys. 62 GP, 2.94 GAA & 0.896 SV% in the regular season with 20 GP, 3.02 GAA & 0.898 SV% in the playoffs isn't a good look for a starter on a contender...

Different SJS fan:
Burns isn't declining anytime soon. Karlsson doesn't have groin issues anymore so your concerns are unwarranted. Kane is not a good comparable with Lucic, Backes, and Simmonds. Skating speed is a pretty noticeable difference between them. Jones' numbers for the most part this season is a reflection of how the system didn't protect the goaltenders. They allowed way too many transition opportunities the whole year. If the team adjusts some things and actually commits to defensive play as a whole, the goaltenders will see a marked improvement in their stats.

Yet another SJS fan:
3 years ago (heading into 2016-2017 season), the Sharks didn't have Erik Karlsson, Evander Kane, or any of their top-4 prospects, and Timo Meier hadn't played a game in the NHL. Things change too much in 3 years for anybody to say the team won't be a contender until they prove otherwise.

Also, Karlsson didn't wilt under anything in the playoffs. He was the best player in the series against the Blues through 4 games and then re-aggravated his injury to the point where he just couldn't go anymore.

You're also wrong on multiple counts regarding Jones. One, the team made the finals in 2015-2016, not 2016-2017. Two, Jones has stolen many playoff games since the Cup Finals, and he clearly stole the series in 2017-2018 where he allowed 4 goals in 4 games against the Anaheim Ducks.

Me:
Good catches. Definitely botched the year on your previous deep run. I got so caught up in how bad Jones was this past year I didn't look beyond that and his average stats in the regular season the year before that.

I think DW does a great job of managing your assets, but an aging core is going to be difficult to replace on the fly. Meier and Hertl are incredible players to build around, but I'm not seeing a core defensive prospect to build a new core with because of Merkley's continued character problems that look to be chasing him from the OHL.

I think you underrate just how much the extra contact had to do with Karlsson's re-injury - I think there will be an increased risk of re-injury moving forward and it likely shortens a career which has been exceptional.

I also disagree with you about Karlsson being your best player in that series, Couture was and has been so clutch in the playoffs it's not even funny. To say he wasn't the best player in the series doesn't do him justice.

--------

Looking back with the benefit of seeing this season played out... Woof. SJS fans were straight up delusional about the state of their team.

I mean I don't think anyone predicted the Sharks would straight up collapse, but few expected them to be a contender outside of team fans. Nobody expected Jones to fail to live up to his contract status for close to the duration.

Last edited:

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I voted quickly for the Maroon goal man that was awesome.

After reading the thread the Schwartz and Petro goals deserve some love.

But let's not forget this beaut... From an unlikely player, more shocking then the Boom Boom good IMO

Sent with @Nhl

Edit, sorry Simon posted this earlier and I missed his post

I just rewatched this game and I think this deserves most underrated important goal. Everyone shrugs off that Sharks series but before we put half their team in the medical ward this series was not looking great.

Blown out in game 1, but they did come out in game 2 with some fight to get a quick goal and then played a pretty even game after it but got another to go up 2-0. Then they made some horrible give aways and in a couple of minutes it was 2-2 and Pietro was -5 in as many periods. Getting the lead back there was crucial especially with hindsight of how game 3 played out.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I just rewatched this game and I think this deserves most underrated important goal. Everyone shrugs off that Sharks series but before we put half their team in the medical ward this series was not looking great.

Blown out in game 1, but they did come out in game 2 with some fight to get a quick goal and then played a pretty even game after it but got another to go up 2-0. Then they made some horrible give aways and in a couple of minutes it was 2-2 and Pietro was -5 in as many periods. Getting the lead back there was crucial especially with hindsight of how game 3 played out.
Right so many turning points in the playoffs, if they didn’t happen then it could have been another disappointing playoff exit.

Game 2 vs the Sharks when Cloture got 2 SHGs! Or was it 1 shorty and 1 regular? Either way, momentum was not on our side and were already down 0-1 in the series. That Bortz goal was such a huge goal in that game and a great play all around.

People also seem to forget the details of game 4. Yes they came out strong in the 1st after the hand pass game. But I thought the Sharks played their best hockey of the series in periods 2 and 3. The Blues only goals went off Shark players in the 1st and they didn’t score the rest of the game. The Sharks on the other hand threw everything they had, knowing if they went up 3-1 after that hand pass game then it was all but over.

Binny stood on his head! Ended up stopping something like 37 out of 38 sharks shots.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Right so many turning points in the playoffs, if they didn’t happen then it could have been another disappointing playoff exit.

Game 2 vs the Sharks when Cloture got 2 SHGs! Or was it 1 shorty and 1 regular? Either way, momentum was not on our side and were already down 0-1 in the series. That Bortz goal was such a huge goal in that game and a great play all around.

People also seem to forget the details of game 4. Yes they came out strong in the 1st after the hand pass game. But I thought the Sharks played their best hockey of the series in periods 2 and 3. The Blues only goals went off Shark players in the 1st and they didn’t score the rest of the game. The Sharks on the other hand threw everything they had, knowing if they went up 3-1 after that hand pass game then it was all but over.

Binny stood on his head! Ended up stopping something like 37 out of 38 sharks shots.
Blues gave up 4 SHG in the playoffs (1 in each series), and they went 4-0 in those games, a win was never in doubt in that game :laugh:

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad