Poll: Thoughts on Ron Francis

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by Boom Boom Apathy, Feb 7, 2018.

?

Thoughts on Ron Francis

1. Keep

36.7%
  2. Unsure - give him 1 more year with Dundon as owner

46.7%
  3. Get Rid of

16.7%
View Users: View Users
  1. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

No point asking the question, he's not going to be fired any time soon.

2. sfksfk

sfksfk Registered User

Yes- Passing on Mrazek seemed to me to deflate the team. To try for him would require the ability to acknowledge mistakes/ideas not working out. I don't blame RF for Darling's performance. do blame him for not moving on.

3. Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT Bench Constance Garnett

a watchmaker
    No.

If he admits that he can't find a better center than Derek Ryan after 3 offseasons, yes.

And just watch, if they re-sign Ryan, it will also be a "Well, in this situation, re-signing the AHL center makes the most sense". At what point do we have to admit that Kevin Durant or Steven Stamkos' miraculous ability to consistently get open looks despite being top-5 offensive players in their sport is less because the opposing players are the only guys on the court/ice not aware of this and more because they're high IQ guys who instinctively know where the play is going and how to act accordingly, so well in fact that to even the expert, experienced viewer it looks as if they did nothing at all?

4. Stickpucker

Stickpucker Playmaka

Maybe he can call up Hextall and get some tips how to rebuild. Theirs was much faster than ours.

5. Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I don't have a major issue with Francis, and am not mad he didn't try and make a bigger splash at the tdl. If the Canes don't make the playoff then I'm looking more at Peters than Francis. This squad was/is poised to make the playoffs, but they players just don't seem to be interested in stepping up their game to make it a reality. I'm watching teams like the Wild and Flyers that are playing with some intensity, Carolina ain't. In my book, Peters better be gone if this downward trend continues. Francis has done enough, I think, to earn another year. If the Canes are in this same position one year from, I'll re-visit my Francis opinion. I see this year's slide more on the players and coaching. I think we have the talent, just need the drive.

6. The Faulker 27

The Faulker 27 FOOT LONG

Router Rebooter
    I voted Get rid of by accident. Whatever. Give him 1 more year.

7. tarheelhockey

What, like push him down the stairs?

8. theekevinc

theekevinc Registered User

Philly also has two more first-round picks *this* summer. Honestly, the multitude of ways in which Ron Francis has failed to put us in the best possible position coming out of his 5-year plan is mind-boggling.

9. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy make Svech happen

Philly didn't really rebuild though. They have made the playoffs 5 out of 8 times since the Canes last made the playoffs, have never gone more than one season without making the playoffs and other than when they lucked out in the lottery, only 1 time picked in the top 10. They've never been bad enough for long enough to part ways with the likes of Giroux.

No doubt, Hextall has done a great job keeping them competitive, keeping their strong core, which was there before he became GM, in place (Giroux, Voracek, Simmons, Couturier), and adding some strong youth (Konecny, Gostisbehere, Provorov), but when he took over the team in 2013, he wasn't rebuilding. It helps that they spend $15M more than the Canes do.

Can't argue with results though, and Hextall is getting them. Just pointing out that it wasn't really a rebuild in any typical sense.

10. The Faulker 27

The Faulker 27 FOOT LONG

Router Rebooter
    Too humane. Something much slower. As if nothing is happening at all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  11. Hulkacaniac

Hulkacaniac You MUST

It was fine at the beginning of his tenure when the plan was accumulate picks and young players and build through the draft. I just don't know what the plan is now. Our team isn't bad enough now to build through the draft. So you've got to make some trades to improve your team in a reasonable amount of time. It just seems like Francis is willing to wait, just not sure for what though. Peters obviously is frustrated by losing so much and wants Francis to upgrade the roster but is so afraid of losing he won't properly utilize players who are inexperienced or he doesn't trust. But then there's no way to enforce discipline if you don't use the ice time hammer. Francis has got to do show he's willing to do something significant this offseason if he's going to lead the team to the playoffs, let alone to a Stanley cup. As far as peters goes, is he too out of touch with the room? I don't know, but I do believe the team is talented enough just to make the playoffs. Goaltending has been far from the only problem.

12. the halleJOKEL

the halleJOKEL strong as brickwall

Home Page:
    holding off on any real judgement until he has a full offseason with an owner who will actually let him (supposedly) spend money

13. MinJaBen

MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

Yeah, I'm curious how much the pocketbook is really open and if Francis himself is willing to use it if it is open. I mean, the only trade we executed this year was to save money on a two-way contract for a 4th line player we sent down. Doesn't sound like the kind of spending we were hoping for.

14. geehaad

geehaad Registered User

Jooris has a 1-way contract. But I don't for a moment believe that the trade was an attempt to save money.

15. MinJaBen

Sorry, I meant that Jooris had a 1-way and we traded for a guy with a 2-way to save money.

16. tarheelhockey

It says a lot that practically the first thing Francis said during his presser was (loosely quoted) "We did free up some money... uhhhh not that it was about the money but... we freed up some money today".

17. CanesInducedComa

CanesInducedComa 80s Phenom

Being on a budget didn't stop him from the Rask or Darling signings. That's 8 million dollars we could really use, be it directly on players or revamping our scouting, coaching, etc.

Of course, there is always a way to legitimize these signings for some so Francis can't be judged on it.

I'm scared of what he will do if he does get to spend more than usual. With our luck, we'll have the next Clarkson or Beleskey on our hands.

18. AD Skinner

AD Skinner Registered User

I think Francis is afraid. Almost all of his big moves have been whiffs and i wonder if he is second guessing himself afraid to whiff again. Lack, darling, Kruger, trading Eric Staal, all looking to be mistakes or washes at best. Williams, teravainen, van riemsdyk have been solid but outside of when the TSA line was really humming those are all support players. The biggest impact players on the team are Aho and Slavin, a second and fourth round pick respectively. Imagine how terrible we'd be if we hadn't lucked into Slavin my god it's horrific to think about.

19. CandyCanes

CandyCanes Canes **3

So Lindholm, Hanifin, and TVR are all RFA's needing new contracts. What do you think each one of them is worth?

sheriff bart and Breakdowns like this.
  20. Breakdowns

Breakdowns Is it next season yet?

IT
    Lindy will get something like 4,5 around 5 years
    Hanifin will go for a bridge deal, most likely 2 or 3 years around 3 million
    TVR might get 2x2

21. SvechniCanesCup2019

SvechniCanesCup2019 Registered User

Hanifin 2 years x $3 million bridge
    Lindholm 3 years x $4.5 million (buys one year of UFA)
    TVR 2 years x $1.5 million bridge

22. MinJaBen

Aho also will be eligible to sign a contract on July 1st, and I bet his deal gets done before any of the others.

Aho: $6x6
    Hanifin: $5x7
    Lindy: $5x4
    TVR: $2.5x3

23. bluedevil58

bluedevil58 Registered User

Hey look! Staal is on his way to putting in 40 this year. Further evidence you don't trade first line centers. What the hell?

24. CandyCanes

CandyCanes Canes **3

I'll say it again I think the trade needed to be done. But we had an opportunity to bring him back in free agency, if the price was $3.5mill we made a mistake. Even 40pt Eric Staal was worth $3.5mill.

25. The Faulker 27

The Faulker 27 FOOT LONG

Router Rebooter
    Well hey he's a UFA in 2019.:naughty: