Poll of the Day: Why Do We Suck?

What are the major reasons this season has gone off the rails?

• Total voters

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I could not guess?? He might be willing to give Tampa a discount to keep the gang together if they win?? They have the tax and sun and beach advantage. BUT it might be very hard for him to ignore a serious pay offer and very difficult for Tampa to match. I think he is a legit number 1.
That's why Tampa will find a way to keep him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's why Tampa will find a way to keep him.
Of course It's just that easy??? Tampa has 15 players signed for $73 million next season. This year they must sign Point. Next year they have to sign Vasilevskiy and Sergachev. Someone is leaving Tampa this summer and a high enough offer would make it Point. I don't know if tgey see him as a core piece?? The only big money earner without a no trade is Kucherov.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Of course It's just that easy??? Tampa has 15 players signed for $73 million next season. This year they must sign Point. Next year they have to sign Vasilevskiy and Sergachev. Someone is leaving Tampa this summer and a high enough offer would make it Point. I don't know if tgey see him as a core piece?? The only big money earner without a no trade is Kucherov.
I have no idea what their organizational depth is like on defense, but Coburn, Girardi, and Stralman are all UFAs this summer. If they let two of those three walk they could probably sign Point to a respectable RFA contract, it would be especially easy if he's willing to take a hometown discount.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Point could be a possible 100 pt. player. I would think they consider him a core piece.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We've taken a step backward this year. If Strome and Perlini would have developed into better players and they kept an upward trajectory we could have continued to be sold promise. Looks like Perlini is fools gold and I doubt Strome become much of anything. And the return we got for them is possibly our best player. But even he is not anything close to a premier player in this league.
Posters point out we have some good pieces here. Well who wouldn't drafting where we do every year. Every NHL franchise has "good pieces" they just have a lot more then we do. And good Arena situations. And good owners.
We have a trifecta of horror.
We really got to hit on some luck for a change. Winning the Jack lottery and getting a new arena situation/owner could change this franchise forever.
If we don't none of our young pieces are enough to produce anything but mediocrity. that's the ceiling for this group.
And quit blaming RT. this group is horseshit.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We've taken a step backward this year. If Strome and Perlini would have developed into better players and they kept an upward trajectory we could have continued to be sold promise. Looks like Perlini is fools gold and I doubt Strome become much of anything. And the return we got for them is possibly our best player. But even he is not anything close to a premier player in this league.
Posters point out we have some good pieces here. Well who wouldn't drafting where we do every year. Every NHL franchise has "good pieces" they just have a lot more then we do. And good Arena situations. And good owners.
We have a trifecta of horror.
We really got to hit on some luck for a change. Winning the Jack lottery and getting a new arena situation/owner could change this franchise forever.
If we don't none of our young pieces are enough to produce anything but mediocrity. that's the ceiling for this group.
And quit blaming RT. this group is horse****.
I think we have a combination of:

1. Broke owner so no money to bring in more higher end talent
2. Poor drafting the last 10 years overall
3. Injuries, we have too many and not enough depth (see #1) to make up for it
4. A coach getting less with more, we need to overachieve, not underachieve as most players are doing now
5. An inexperienced GM

That about sums it up for me.

Reactions: MIG

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Love Point, but he has hinted that he would be happy to sign a bridge deal to stay and make it work in Tampa. They will get it done there, they always do, taxes are helping them tremendously too.

I think he will follow Kucherov's path. Bridge deal then mega deal.

Vasilevskiy might be a trickier signing.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we have a combination of:

1. Broke owner so no money to bring in more higher end talent
2. Poor drafting the last 10 years overall
3. Injuries, we have too many and not enough depth (see #1) to make up for it
4. A coach getting less with more, we need to overachieve, not underachieve as most players are doing now
5. An inexperienced GM

That about sums it up for me.
RT is more or less blaming the injuries, stating that there is no continuity and players having to play in different positions. He could be right as we were over .500 at one point of the year and beat some pretty good teams. Our PP has also been a killer for us and right now we sit eighth in PP opportunities, but stand 22nd with a PP% of 16.5. If our PP was the middle of the road could we maybe have two more wins, and maybe Raanta would have stole a game or two, we could be looking at 4-8 more points. There is so much parity in the NHL it doesn't take much to be in the bottom or be in the playoff picture. I still say this team is better than the record shows.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Chris Summers
Nick Ross
Brett MacLean
Joel Gistedt
Viktor Tikhonov
Jared Staal
Chris Brown
Mark Visentin
Henrik Samuelsson
Laurent Dauphin
Ryan MacInnis
these are our late first and early second round picks from 2006 to 2014 - of course at these positions there is a certain bust rate but you should at least be able to get an NHL player with a certain frequency, we got nothing for 8 years. Teams can survive on a small budget some can even get a little success - but especially with a small budget you have to be able to draft well and develop young players into something of value. So for me it's failure to draft and develop.

What a sad list pf players :(

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Love Point, but he has hinted that he would be happy to sign a bridge deal to stay and make it work in Tampa. They will get it done there, they always do, taxes are helping them tremendously too.

I think he will follow Kucherov's path. Bridge deal then mega deal.

Vasilevskiy might be a trickier signing.
Im sure he would but if I'm a GM on July 1st if he isn't signed I'm going to give him a decision to make.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
RT is more or less blaming the injuries, stating that there is no continuity and players having to play in different positions. He could be right as we were over .500 at one point of the year and beat some pretty good teams. Our PP has also been a killer for us and right now we sit eighth in PP opportunities, but stand 22nd with a PP% of 16.5. If our PP was the middle of the road could we maybe have two more wins, and maybe Raanta would have stole a game or two, we could be looking at 4-8 more points. There is so much parity in the NHL it doesn't take much to be in the bottom or be in the playoff picture. I still say this team is better than the record shows.
They are better. I saw some analytics that measure games lost due to injury and equated in was quality of player and we were 4th . Interestingly boston was number one.
Our situation requires us to have perfect luck in order to even sniff the 8th spot in the West.
Raanta hurt (again) is not unlucky. He's never going to stay healthy that is clear. But we sure have had more injuries then you can expect.
Still it's not an excuse to hang your hat on. This organization basically sucks and Chyka will keep gathering that figure skating player whenever he can. Because his analytics tell him to.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They are better. I saw some analytics that measure games lost due to injury and equated in was quality of player and we were 4th . Interestingly boston was number one.
Our situation requires us to have perfect luck in order to even sniff the 8th spot in the West.
Raanta hurt (again) is not unlucky. He's never going to stay healthy that is clear. But we sure have had more injuries then you can expect.
Still it's not an excuse to hang your hat on. This organization basically sucks and Chyka will keep gathering that figure skating player whenever he can. Because his analytics tell him to.
If that stat is accurate it explains partly why we are where we are now. We are in the bottom half of the NHL in talent, maybe bottom third. So losing the players we have if we are 4th worst is a bigger dent to us than anyone else because we don't have talent to lose in the first place.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If that stat is accurate it explains partly why we are where we are now. We are in the bottom half of the NHL in talent, maybe bottom third. So losing the players we have if we are 4th worst is a bigger dent to us than anyone else because we don't have talent to lose in the first place.

Yep - that's why the challenge for Chayka has been much bigger than expected and why where we are at now is such a night and day difference.

I mean, even with Turris and Boedker in San Antonio in 09-10 season, the Rampage finished 6th in their division. Between 2011-2015, the Portland Pirates made the playoffs twice and bowed out in the first round each time. Springfield didn't make the playoffs in the 15-16 season. We were decimated by poor drafting, so it wasn't just the NHL team that needed a face-lift. EVERYTHING needed to change. Fast forward three years later.

16-17 season, Tucson was bad. -50 goal differential bad. 10 players between the ages of 19 and 21 saw at least 25 games of action. The next year, we are division champs. Maintaining this is a big part of it, because as we need to bring players up, they get used to winning in the AHL and bringing that consistency to the NHL (even though we are not winning extensively in the NHL). Finally starting to gain some traction in that regard, and that is a huge key to where we are headed. Improve the talent level up and down, which includes the AHL.

Reactions: cobra427 and CLW

Feb 12, 2003
Yep - that's why the challenge for Chayka has been much bigger than expected and why where we are at now is such a night and day difference.

I mean, even with Turris and Boedker in San Antonio in 09-10 season, the Rampage finished 6th in their division. Between 2011-2015, the Portland Pirates made the playoffs twice and bowed out in the first round each time. Springfield didn't make the playoffs in the 15-16 season. We were decimated by poor drafting, so it wasn't just the NHL team that needed a face-lift. EVERYTHING needed to change. Fast forward three years later.

16-17 season, Tucson was bad. -50 goal differential bad. 10 players between the ages of 19 and 21 saw at least 25 games of action. The next year, we are division champs. Maintaining this is a big part of it, because as we need to bring players up, they get used to winning in the AHL and bringing that consistency to the NHL (even though we are not winning extensively in the NHL). Finally starting to gain some traction in that regard, and that is a huge key to where we are headed. Improve the talent level up and down, which includes the AHL.

Well said. It goes back to overcooking prospects and taking a slower patient approach to the team. Many well built teams have the roster set and a great young player forces them to make a move to allow room for them. The Coyotes slot in players with potential hoping they can take the jobs they are given. In many respects prospects are not put in a position to succeed. I have always said, if you want to see if the guy can score, play him on a scoring line. If you want to see if a goalie can be a starter, give them regular starts. If you want to see if a defenseman can handle the minutes, give him the minutes.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Chris Summers
Nick Ross
Brett MacLean
Joel Gistedt
Viktor Tikhonov
Jared Staal
Chris Brown
Mark Visentin
Henrik Samuelsson
Laurent Dauphin
Ryan MacInnis
these are our late first and early second round picks from 2006 to 2014 - of course at these positions there is a certain bust rate but you should at least be able to get an NHL player with a certain frequency, we got nothing for 8 years. Teams can survive on a small budget some can even get a little success - but especially with a small budget you have to be able to draft well and develop young players into something of value. So for me it's failure to draft and develop.

What a sad list pf players :(
Reading through that list, I just threw up in my mouth. Gawd, that is absolutely pitiful...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Just changed my vote. Even if we bomb the rest of the season, I've changed my opinion of RT and think he's earned another season. The injury tsunami is crushing. Amazed we even have a playoff chance.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Just changed my vote. Even if we bomb the rest of the season, I've changed my opinion of RT and think he's earned another season. The injury tsunami is crushing. Amazed we even have a playoff chance.

I think this kind of team is more his style. High energy players doing the basics right. Don't think there is any point in asking him to come up with fanciful stuff.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Changed mine too. My four votes are too many key injuries, Coyote curse, Tyson Nash, and we can't have nice things.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
and we can't have nice things.

I added that later which is why it has fewer votes. It is the only thing I voted for.

Back when the poll was originally made I'd have primarily gone with underperforming over budget. Budget is a limiting factor, not a factor in why we do poorly with the budget we have. It might be the reason we never build a true contender but it won't be the reason we can't have a decent enough core. Until I see us getting the most out of the dollars we do have I just can't blame the budget.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->