Poll of the Day: Why Do We Suck?

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by MIG, Dec 19, 2018.

?

What are the major reasons this season has gone off the rails?

1. GM failed to assemble playoff team

23.2%
  2. Coaching failed to deliver results

29.5%
  3. Players underperforming

41.1%
  4. Too many key injuries

53.6%
  5. Failure to draft well

42.0%
  6. Coyote curse

31.3%
  7. Fans not cheering loud enough

2.7%
  8. Tyson Nash

17.0%
  9. Insufficient team budget (player salary, coaching, scouting, etc)

52.7%
  10. We can't have nice things

9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

That's why Tampa will find a way to keep him.

2. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

Of course It's just that easy??? Tampa has 15 players signed for $73 million next season. This year they must sign Point. Next year they have to sign Vasilevskiy and Sergachev. Someone is leaving Tampa this summer and a high enough offer would make it Point. I don't know if tgey see him as a core piece?? The only big money earner without a no trade is Kucherov.

3. Imaravencawcaw

Imaravencawcaw Registered User

I have no idea what their organizational depth is like on defense, but Coburn, Girardi, and Stralman are all UFAs this summer. If they let two of those three walk they could probably sign Point to a respectable RFA contract, it would be especially easy if he's willing to take a hometown discount.

4. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

Point could be a possible 100 pt. player. I would think they consider him a core piece.

5. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

How much do you think that earns him contract wise? Now add that to Tampa's Cap.

6. RABBIT

RABBIT "I sure as sh*t want to win" - Alex Meruelo Sponsor

Cuz Tocchett 2 sticky

7. RABBIT

RABBIT "I sure as sh*t want to win" - Alex Meruelo Sponsor

rt needs to change his name to rttp

Rich Tocchet The Player

_Del_ likes this.
  8. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

We've taken a step backward this year. If Strome and Perlini would have developed into better players and they kept an upward trajectory we could have continued to be sold promise. Looks like Perlini is fools gold and I doubt Strome become much of anything. And the return we got for them is possibly our best player. But even he is not anything close to a premier player in this league.
    Posters point out we have some good pieces here. Well who wouldn't drafting where we do every year. Every NHL franchise has "good pieces" they just have a lot more then we do. And good Arena situations. And good owners.
    We have a trifecta of horror.
    We really got to hit on some luck for a change. Winning the Jack lottery and getting a new arena situation/owner could change this franchise forever.
    If we don't none of our young pieces are enough to produce anything but mediocrity. that's the ceiling for this group.
    And quit blaming RT. this group is horse****.

9. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

I think we have a combination of:

1. Broke owner so no money to bring in more higher end talent
    2. Poor drafting the last 10 years overall
    3. Injuries, we have too many and not enough depth (see #1) to make up for it
    4. A coach getting less with more, we need to overachieve, not underachieve as most players are doing now
    5. An inexperienced GM

That about sums it up for me.

MIG likes this.
  10. Alberta Yote

Alberta Yote Owns the Yotes

Because we are the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes. We just do.

11. ParisSaintGermain

ParisSaintGermain Registered User

Love Point, but he has hinted that he would be happy to sign a bridge deal to stay and make it work in Tampa. They will get it done there, they always do, taxes are helping them tremendously too.

I think he will follow Kucherov's path. Bridge deal then mega deal.

Vasilevskiy might be a trickier signing.

Jakey53 likes this.
  12. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

RT is more or less blaming the injuries, stating that there is no continuity and players having to play in different positions. He could be right as we were over .500 at one point of the year and beat some pretty good teams. Our PP has also been a killer for us and right now we sit eighth in PP opportunities, but stand 22nd with a PP% of 16.5. If our PP was the middle of the road could we maybe have two more wins, and maybe Raanta would have stole a game or two, we could be looking at 4-8 more points. There is so much parity in the NHL it doesn't take much to be in the bottom or be in the playoff picture. I still say this team is better than the record shows.

13. samabam

samabam Registered User

Chris Summers
    Nick Ross
    Brett MacLean
    Joel Gistedt
    Viktor Tikhonov
    Jared Staal
    Chris Brown
    Mark Visentin
    Henrik Samuelsson
    Laurent Dauphin
    Ryan MacInnis
    these are our late first and early second round picks from 2006 to 2014 - of course at these positions there is a certain bust rate but you should at least be able to get an NHL player with a certain frequency, we got nothing for 8 years. Teams can survive on a small budget some can even get a little success - but especially with a small budget you have to be able to draft well and develop young players into something of value. So for me it's failure to draft and develop.

What a sad list pf players :(

CLW, Katie Connauton and Mangosteen like this.
  14. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

Im sure he would but if I'm a GM on July 1st if he isn't signed I'm going to give him a decision to make.

ParisSaintGermain and hbk like this.
  15. azcanuck

azcanuck Registered User

They are better. I saw some analytics that measure games lost due to injury and equated in was quality of player and we were 4th . Interestingly boston was number one.
    Our situation requires us to have perfect luck in order to even sniff the 8th spot in the West.
    Raanta hurt (again) is not unlucky. He's never going to stay healthy that is clear. But we sure have had more injuries then you can expect.
    Still it's not an excuse to hang your hat on. This organization basically sucks and Chyka will keep gathering that figure skating player whenever he can. Because his analytics tell him to.

16. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

If that stat is accurate it explains partly why we are where we are now. We are in the bottom half of the NHL in talent, maybe bottom third. So losing the players we have if we are 4th worst is a bigger dent to us than anyone else because we don't have talent to lose in the first place.

17. Summer Rose

Summer Rose Red Like Roses Sponsor

Firefighter trainee
    I'm still blaming Tyson Nash.

18. BUX7PHX

BUX7PHX Registered User

Yep - that's why the challenge for Chayka has been much bigger than expected and why where we are at now is such a night and day difference.

I mean, even with Turris and Boedker in San Antonio in 09-10 season, the Rampage finished 6th in their division. Between 2011-2015, the Portland Pirates made the playoffs twice and bowed out in the first round each time. Springfield didn't make the playoffs in the 15-16 season. We were decimated by poor drafting, so it wasn't just the NHL team that needed a face-lift. EVERYTHING needed to change. Fast forward three years later.

16-17 season, Tucson was bad. -50 goal differential bad. 10 players between the ages of 19 and 21 saw at least 25 games of action. The next year, we are division champs. Maintaining this is a big part of it, because as we need to bring players up, they get used to winning in the AHL and bringing that consistency to the NHL (even though we are not winning extensively in the NHL). Finally starting to gain some traction in that regard, and that is a huge key to where we are headed. Improve the talent level up and down, which includes the AHL.

cobra427 and CLW like this.
  19. Guest

Guest Registered User

Well said. It goes back to overcooking prospects and taking a slower patient approach to the team. Many well built teams have the roster set and a great young player forces them to make a move to allow room for them. The Coyotes slot in players with potential hoping they can take the jobs they are given. In many respects prospects are not put in a position to succeed. I have always said, if you want to see if the guy can score, play him on a scoring line. If you want to see if a goalie can be a starter, give them regular starts. If you want to see if a defenseman can handle the minutes, give him the minutes.

20. Fyreman

Fyreman Ret FD Batt Chief

Reading through that list, I just threw up in my mouth. Gawd, that is absolutely pitiful...

CLW and Ultra Mega Chychrun like this.
  21. TheLegend

TheLegend Megathread Gadfly

Llama Wrangler
    The safe choice..... :laugh:

Katie Connauton likes this.
  22. MIG

MIG Undocumented User Sponsor

Speculator
    Just changed my vote. Even if we bomb the rest of the season, I've changed my opinion of RT and think he's earned another season. The injury tsunami is crushing. Amazed we even have a playoff chance.

23. CLW

CLW Registered User

I think this kind of team is more his style. High energy players doing the basics right. Don't think there is any point in asking him to come up with fanciful stuff.

24. Summer Rose

Summer Rose Red Like Roses Sponsor

Firefighter trainee
    Changed mine too. My four votes are too many key injuries, Coyote curse, Tyson Nash, and we can't have nice things.

25. SniperHF

SniperHF You might surprise yourself

IT Drone
    I added that later which is why it has fewer votes. It is the only thing I voted for.

Back when the poll was originally made I'd have primarily gone with underperforming over budget. Budget is a limiting factor, not a factor in why we do poorly with the budget we have. It might be the reason we never build a true contender but it won't be the reason we can't have a decent enough core. Until I see us getting the most out of the dollars we do have I just can't blame the budget.

Katie Connauton likes this.