Poll of the Day: Why Do We Suck?

What are the major reasons this season has gone off the rails?

• Total voters

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think Earn's in Atlanta applies to the coyotes.

“I just keep losing. I mean, some people just...are supposed to lose? For balance in the universe? I mean, like, are there just some people on earth who...are supposed to be here just to make it easier for the winners?”

Swap out people for teams and I for the coyotes and we're there.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just think scouting screwed this team over. There were a lot of first round whiffs.
For sure that is a big part of it. So many fails.

I dont recall the details but there were a few years where the team relied on Central Scouting only as they had no $ for a scouting staff. Lack of money is a big deal. Players look to move sooner than they may otherwise (Turris, Wheeler) because they know the team cant afford to improve the roster. Had to trade Yandle because they had no money.

Some really terrible trades hurt. Briere for Gratton for example.

They have had bad luck, too. Losing lotteries several times. Missing out on franchise players 2 years in a row. Mueller and Kylanos injuries robbing them of what looked liked very promising careers.

Sigh.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

varano

Jun 27, 2013
For sure that is a big part of it. So many fails.

I dont recall the details but there were a few years where the team relied on Central Scouting only as they had no $ for a scouting staff. Lack of money is a big deal. Players look to move sooner than they may otherwise (Turris, Wheeler) because they know the team cant afford to improve the roster. Had to trade Yandle because they had no money.

Some really terrible trades hurt. Briere for Gratton for example.

They have had bad luck, too. Losing lotteries several times. Missing out on franchise players 2 years in a row. Mueller and Kylanos injuries robbing them of what looked liked very promising careers.

Sigh.
Is this actually true?

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I think Earn's in Atlanta applies to the coyotes.

“I just keep losing. I mean, some people just...are supposed to lose? For balance in the universe? I mean, like, are there just some people on earth who...are supposed to be here just to make it easier for the winners?”

Swap out people for teams and I for the coyotes and we're there.

I would have agreed with this about 10 years ago but since then my two other sports teams, New Orleans Saints and Houston Astros who were regular losers for years since I was a kid both won the big one. We have just had bad ownership and no money for years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Is this actually true?
I dont know the details (Cant find the reference in a quick search). Certainly they had a "skeleton crew". When Chayka was signed they ADDED a WHL scout, Minnesota scout, Russia scout and European director of player development. They did not have anyone in those positions previous.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We're not that far away. One good rebuild. That's all it takes. That, and money to pay the better players. Chayka, and Maloney before him, couldn't improve the team in the offseason for lack of money to pay the better players.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
We're not that far away. One good rebuild. That's all it takes. That, and money to pay the better players. Chayka, and Maloney before him, couldn't improve the team in the offseason for lack of money to pay the better players.

My gut feeling (based on no tangible sources so you can feel free to not read the rest of my post) is that Arizona is a popular landing spot for free agents on principle. This is also not exclusive to the Coyotes and certainly applies to the Suns, Cardinals, and Diamondbacks. It worked once for the Diamondbacks, but since Arizona sports teams have a long history of having owners who are either cheap or broke (or both, I'm looking at you Robert Sarver), we simply can't afford to pay them fair market value. John Tavares signed his big contract with the Leafs but I'd be willing to bet that he'd have considered us if we were capable of matching the terms of the contract Toronto offered him (but we weren't so it's a moot point).

Semi-sarcastic jab at our inability to pay for talent that's necessary to turn this team around that I spouted to a friend earlier tonight during our game: "Let's be real guys. If we had won that draft lottery and drafted McDavid, we'd have traded him by now because we couldn't afford to sign him to 8 years/$12.5m AAV."

We've had probably more than our fair share of bad luck as a franchise, but our consistent problems start and end with basically having no money. If not for the cap floor, we'd be pathetic, and even then we've found "creative" ways to reach the cap floor without actually paying out that many dollars on at least a few occasions.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I dont know the details (Cant find the reference in a quick search). Certainly they had a "skeleton crew". When Chayka was signed they ADDED a WHL scout, Minnesota scout, Russia scout and European director of player development. They did not have anyone in those positions previous.
Wow that's wild.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My gut feeling (based on no tangible sources so you can feel free to not read the rest of my post) is that Arizona is a popular landing spot for free agents on principle. This is also not exclusive to the Coyotes and certainly applies to the Suns, Cardinals, and Diamondbacks. It worked once for the Diamondbacks, but since Arizona sports teams have a long history of having owners who are either cheap or broke (or both, I'm looking at you Robert Sarver), we simply can't afford to pay them fair market value. John Tavares signed his big contract with the Leafs but I'd be willing to bet that he'd have considered us if we were capable of matching the terms of the contract Toronto offered him (but we weren't so it's a moot point).

Semi-sarcastic jab at our inability to pay for talent that's necessary to turn this team around that I spouted to a friend earlier tonight during our game: "Let's be real guys. If we had won that draft lottery and drafted McDavid, we'd have traded him by now because we couldn't afford to sign him to 8 years/$12.5m AAV."

We've had probably more than our fair share of bad luck as a franchise, but our consistent problems start and end with basically having no money. If not for the cap floor, we'd be pathetic, and even then we've found "creative" ways to reach the cap floor without actually paying out that many dollars on at least a few occasions.
No way a Tavares type is picking AZ at this time.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ok, so who would have you signed this last off season as a UFA?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have many good pieces, just have to keep the course., and we don't have much to trade to start a rebuild.I believe we have to start to rid of some of the vets that came here to lead but haven't. Stepan and Gogo are probably the only ones we can trade to get back anything of value. I hear Buffalo is looking for a center with experience, maybe a Stepan for a Mittelstadt.:)

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
So many teams already have a 20+ goal scorer. Wouldn't that be nice to have? Our lack of offense is killing us.

Last season after 40 games: 92 goals for, 141 goals against.
This season after 40 games: 101 goals for, 115 goals against.

The defense has significantly improved while the offense has seen a marginal improvement. We're 13th in the league in goals against and 29th in goals for.

16 games scoring 1 or 0 goals. That's 40% of the games played.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tavares , Stastny, and Lehner
JT would have been a pipe dream, and while Lehner would have been nice, I think we already had our tandem set. I liked Stastny, but given his age and salary demands I think I would have maybe passed.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
JT would have been a pipe dream, and while Lehner would have been nice, I think we already had our tandem set. I liked Stastny, but given his age and salary demands I think I would have maybe passed.
I was really joking but if we had a top end center or two the rest of the roster just fits so much better.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sounds easy. Let's do it.:nod:
It definitely isn't easy but It's probably easier tgan winning in the NHL without one guaranteed first line forward. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tampa is set up poorly to afford Point. Point is a legit number 1 center. Open the purse strings and offer sheet him large. He is not their premier piece so they can't afford to match. The team is infinitely better instantly if you get him. Short of that put the word out to agents of guys like Duchene that we are interested. Pay too much to get a legit center as you just can't win without one.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It definitely isn't easy but It's probably easier tgan winning in the NHL without one guaranteed first line forward. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tampa is set up poorly to afford Point. Point is a legit number 1 center. Open the purse strings and offer sheet him large. He is not their premier piece so they can't afford to match. The team is infinitely better instantly if you get him. Short of that put the word out to agents of guys like Duchene that we are interested. Pay too much to get a legit center as you just can't win without one.
Point's not going anywhere, and nobody uses a offer sheet anyways. Duchene could be any interesting player to look at.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Point is a legit number 1 center. Open the purse strings and offer sheet him large. He is not their premier piece so they can't afford to match. The team is infinitely better instantly if you get him.
I mentioned I liked Point since WJC a few years ago. He is quietly burning it up. How much do you think he signs for after ELC?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I mentioned I liked Point since WJC a few years ago. He is quietly burning it up. How much do you think he signs for after ELC?
I could not guess?? He might be willing to give Tampa a discount to keep the gang together if they win?? They have the tax and sun and beach advantage. BUT it might be very hard for him to ignore a serious pay offer and very difficult for Tampa to match. I think he is a legit number 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad