Poll of the Day: Why Do We Suck?

What are the major reasons this season has gone off the rails?

• Total voters

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This poll cracks me up...so many Yote fans in denial. As usual. Injuries? Coaching? Really?

We lack talent, and money. Look no further than that. I guess you could throw in toughness but that often comes with real talent. Domi is thriving because he has better talent around him. Same with Strome.
Our payroll isn't that out of whack with League??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Really? That is the best you can do? It starts at the top. Started when the NHL took over and has never recovered. You can not run a NHL on the cheap for a decade and expect good results. We didn't even have money for scouts for god sake. We have a rookie broke owner, a rookie GM, a more or less rookie coach. I have always said you stick by your team thru thick and thin, but man, this is getting old. NO business can survive when you have inexperienced people running the show.
And the questions was reasons we suck, I provided one. That doesn't make the others suggested aren't also prevalent.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not out of whack because we have $14,136,111 of cap space tied to Dave Bolland, Marian Hossa, Mike Smith and Mike ****ing Ribeiro... That's 19.6% of the money we're currently spending on players.
Many teans have retained salary. We are at around $60 million with LTIR, that puts us within one star player of half of the League. One could argue we are paying too much for too little but our budget isn't terrible.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This poll cracks me up...so many Yote fans in denial. As usual. Injuries? Coaching? Really?

We lack talent, and money. Look no further than that. I guess you could throw in toughness but that often comes with real talent. Domi is thriving because he has better talent around him. Same with Strome.
Let's bring the smug down a notch, there's a reason the poll has checkboxes and not radial buttons.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I can't help but wonder if Chayka really thought he had the chops to build a winning team via trades and FA or if he was given a prime directive to end the rebuild and do whatever he could to get the team into the playoffs immediately. A lot of the moves he's made feel like short term thinking.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I can't help but wonder if Chayka really thought he had the chops to build a winning team via trades and FA or if he was given a prime directive to end the rebuild and do whatever he could to get the team into the playoffs immediately. A lot of the moves he's made feel like short term thinking.

This could be true. We know the owner needs cash, or at least needs to be able to demonstrate to potential new owners that the team can succeed and put butts in seats.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
All of the above.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how much money the ownership throws at the team. If you're stuck on a tight budget, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for players/coaching/management/scouting, everything. That being said, even if Warren f***ing Buffett bought this franchise, I'm sure they'd find a way to f*** it up. Blows my mind how incompetent this franchise has been regarding.. well, everything.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Let's bring the smug down a notch, there's a reason the poll has checkboxes and not radial buttons.

The truth isnt being smug. The truth that this organization is a joke often bursts everyones day dreaming bubble of stanley cups or even playoffs.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Many teans have retained salary. We are at around $60 million with LTIR, that puts us within one star player of half of the League. One could argue we are paying too much for too little but our budget isn't terrible.
We are icing a <$43 million team each night right now. That goes up to$54 million if you add everyone on IR except Bolland and Hossa and also take away Picard, Oesterle, Archibald and Kempe. We would end up with more people on the roster than we do now and the cost to ice our playing team would be $54 million.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The truth isnt being smug. The truth that this organization is a joke often bursts everyones day dreaming bubble of stanley cups or even playoffs.
No the truth isn't being smug but you're not the bringer of truth, you're not dropping some eye opening knowledge here. Like I said, there's a reason the poll is checkboxes not radial buttons because there are a lot of things wrong, not just one single thing and every single person here knows that.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hard to pick one because we have MANY, but poor drafting is what I'd go with. Our track record is brutal.

I missed that more than one option was possible. Meh.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can't draft
Can't trade particularly well
Can't develop or find undervalued talent from other teams
Poor UFA signings (apart from Grabner)
Dirt poor
What fans are left are struggling to care
Coach is of questionable judgement
GM has questionable patience/fears for his job
Ownership changes hands every 12 days

Players have no reason to want to be here
Players are soft as shit and there's no team spirit or identity
Coaches and managers are not held accountable
Ownership is powerless

The hockey is slightly more watchable. That's about all that has changed the last few years. So great job, I guess.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Can't draft
Can't trade particularly well
Can't develop or find undervalued talent from other teams
Poor UFA signings (apart from Grabner)
Dirt poor
What fans are left are struggling to care
Coach is of questionable judgement
GM has questionable patience/fears for his job
Ownership changes hands every 12 days

Players have no reason to want to be here
Players are soft as **** and there's no team spirit or identity
Coaches and managers are not held accountable
Ownership is powerless

The hockey is slightly more watchable. That's about all that has changed the last few years. So great job, I guess.
yes yes yes

The team is in the bottom one, two, three in the league in every imaginable measurable or intangible way. Elite level well rounded suckage.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't really know what a poll represents here. Best to just talk about it.

I like Chayka. I think that he has a vision. The problem is that the vision needed to take a long time b/c we were in the doldrums. Look at the turn-around of things like our AHL roster. We had nothing there for a long time, going back at least 4 or 5 years.

We have some NHL talent, but it is so young and not quite there yet. Injuries have also hurt being able to develop that (Chychrun and Dvorak being the standouts). Other injuries have also hurt.

I am still against Tocchet - he had some of the best players in Crosby and Malkin, so while there are some good things to his system, I think those two players made quite a bit for that system to work when he was with Pittsburgh, and we don't have anyone close to either Crosby or Malkin right now. Our PP is still awful. We just need a little more high-level talent and to stay healthy.

Reactions: MIG and Jagged Ice

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't really know what a poll represents here. Best to just talk about it.

I like Chayka. I think that he has a vision. The problem is that the vision needed to take a long time b/c we were in the doldrums. Look at the turn-around of things like our AHL roster. We had nothing there for a long time, going back at least 4 or 5 years.

We have some NHL talent, but it is so young and not quite there yet. Injuries have also hurt being able to develop that (Chychrun and Dvorak being the standouts). Other injuries have also hurt.

I am still against Tocchet - he had some of the best players in Crosby and Malkin, so while there are some good things to his system, I think those two players made quite a bit for that system to work when he was with Pittsburgh, and we don't have anyone close to either Crosby or Malkin right now. Our PP is still awful. We just need a little more high-level talent and to stay healthy.
The fan base here jump off and on the wagon on a daily basis. There are many positives, and many negatives. This team should have been sniffing for a playoff spot but the injuries have hurt, and that is Chayka's fault for not bringing in the right players or mix of players. AB made a big mistake by not hiring an experienced hockey man to help Chayka. All is not lost though. We have the best talent we have had in the last number of years and you add in DVO, Hayton and a couple of guys from Tucson who look promising. It's very frustrating to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->