Poll of NHL GMs - Dec 23, 2002

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
The fact that Forsberg at 29 and with his history and Lidstrom in his age 32 season were considered so high is telling on how valuable GM's (at least the small sample here) valued those 2 players at the time.

The same goes for Mario but maybe it was for a GM who thought he needed just one extra piece.

These types of polls are interesting but need to be taken with a grain of salt as I remember one poll were Federov was voted best skater but 8-9 coaches one year then only by 1-2 the next.

That and only 16 of the 30 GM's responding make it interesting but not much value behind it IMO.

But its hard to fault a gm for not predicting that a player is going to play well despite playing past the age of decline.

goooal

May 3, 2009
Buffalo
You do realize the Thornton now is completely different from the Thornton before the lockout.

This is so true. Thornton was a true power forward. Post lockout he changed his style, and he has continued to play more and more of a finesse game. Perhaps this is because Thornton was a contemporary of Forsberg and Lindros, and he saw the injury problems both of those players faced due to their power game.

Regardless of the reason for his transition, Thornton certainly isn't the first player to undergo this career path. It seems rather common these days.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
True power forwards like Shanahan or Neely were primarily goal scorers, as you'd expect from guys whose game is based on use of their bodies to get to the net.

Thornton had only one season where he had more goals than assists and never scored 40+ goals. In the last three years before the lockout, Thornton scored 80 goals and 161 assists.

Thornton always had more of a play-making orientation than the classic power forward.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- Ron Francis was so "underrated" for so long, that he became overrated.

- Interesting that Roy was still the easy #1 choice as a clutch goalie following his game 7 blowout to finish the 2002 playoffs.

- Brad Park, not in the HHOF? I think someone mixed up "best player without a cup" and "best player not in the hall".

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
- Ron Francis was so "underrated" for so long, that he became overrated.

- Interesting that Roy was still the easy #1 choice as a clutch goalie following his game 7 blowout to finish the 2002 playoffs.

- Brad Park, not in the HHOF? I think someone mixed up "best player without a cup" and "best player not in the hall".

1. Basically. Francis was one of my favorite players largely because of how low key he was. So it's strange seeing how overrated he's become after retirement, based on an uncritical viewing of his stats.

2. Roy's ownage of Brodeur in the 2001 finals was still probably fresh in mind, as well. No other goalies were really stepping up to the plate at the time.

3. Must have been Mike Milbury

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
1. Basically. Francis was one of my favorite players largely because of how low key he was. So it's strange seeing how overrated he's become after retirement, based on an uncritical viewing of his stats.

He is never one of the first names out of people's mouths when they talk about the best players of his era despite the point totals.

Yet he was so consistently good at everything for so long that he was an extremely valuable player even compared to the players who were greater for a shorter period of time.

That's my opinion anyways.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He is never one of the first names out of people's mouths when they talk about the best players of his era despite the point totals.

Yet he was so consistently good at everything for so long that he was an extremely valuable player even compared to the players who were greater for a shorter period of time.

That's my opinion anyways.

I agree on Francis, sometimes being extremely good for an extremely long time is undervalued IMO.

The totality of his career was very impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->