Poll: Jarry or Murray

Who would you rather be #1 for the Pens next season?

• Total voters

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
With the cap staying put by all accounts, I assume the Pens will have a tough decision to make in net and would like yo take your pulse on the matter...

Thank you!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They probably won't pick one or the other, they'll give both a 1 year deal and kick the can down the road.

If I had to pick, I'd go neither and try to sign Markstrom or Lehner as a free agent. I think both have massive red flags when it comes to relying on them as the defacto #1, and I'd rather just look elsewhere entirely. Murray can't stay healthy and is infuriatingly inconsistent, Jarry is unproven and I think his early start was likely a flash in the pan.

Reactions: Andy99

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
They probably won't pick one or the other, they'll give both a 1 year deal and kick the can down the road.

If I had to pick, I'd go neither and try to sign Markstrom or Lehner as a free agent. I think both have massive red flags when it comes to relying on them as the defacto #1, and I'd rather just look elsewhere entirely. Murray can't stay healthy and is infuriatingly inconsistent, Jarry is unproven and I think his early start was likely a flash in the pan.

I'm not 100% sure about your salary cap situation, but with the cap staying at 81.5M, is it even possible to keep both?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not 100% sure about your salary cap situation, but with the cap staying at 81.5M, is it even possible to keep both?

Yes. 1 year deals to keep the AAV down and it's possible to keep both. Murray's probably only at about $5 million on a 1 year deal and Jarry's probably at about $2.5-$3 million on a 1 year deal, that's doable.

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
If you don't know about our salary cap situation, why post this thread anyhow?

Not sure what's the problem with the thread and I might have overreacted, but if you don't like the thread, you can also not comment on it. If you're seriously asking why post this thread... read post below. Sorry if for some reason this thread pisses you off, which seems like it from your 2 comments.

Last edited:

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
And to answer your question.. I know full well your team is pretty close to the cap, but sadly I don't know every team's exact situation to the closest million dollar. Look I'll check since it seems to bother you...
9 forwards = 42M
7 dman = 20M
0 goalies = 0M

Leaves your team 19.5M for 4 forwards and 2 goalies. Mccann must be getting a significant raise and your team is always in on UFAs. They sure can keep both if they decide to stay away from the UFA market. My question was simply to figure out which of the 2 goaltenders your fanbase would go forward with if a choice has to be made.

I've always been really high on Jarry, but I can't watch Pens games and value a whole fanbase's opinion more than just looking at the numbers.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The smart thing to do is to bring them both back on the cheap and have them battle it out. Then trade one before the Seattle expansion draft.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not sure what's the problem with the thread and I might have overreacted, but if you don't like the thread, you can also not comment on it. If you're seriously asking why post this thread... read post below. Sorry if for some reason this thread pisses you off, which seems like it from your 2 comments.

I just find it weird that anyone from another team gives a shit about our goalies, and doesn't bother to see if we haven't, oh I don't know, thought about this at all in the last few months. :laugh: There's entire threads on that whole premise here, man.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But hey, if you're sincere about doing this whole goalie chat thing, I'll just wish you good luck and hope you don't ghost when the chat gets ugly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1.69 GAA and .923 SV%. That's his NHL career average.

He's taken the long way around, but that Pechurskiy kid is gonna be a star.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think he is a RH too!

tenor.gif

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Man did you ever come to the wrong place hoping for an answer.

Pretty weird actually, I've had very amazing answers on a lot of other team's boards to my questions related to their players. Ironically, even Flyers fans were pretty nice and down to earth when questioned on Patrick and Sanheim.. oh well!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Jarry vs. Murray debate is a lot more fierce than most of the other boards' internal feuds, I'd warrant, which is why a lot of us don't really want to get into it again, out of pure fatigue. It was so bad that it was quarantined into its own thread, and even in that thread, people were vicious. :laugh:

The real answer was going into the playoffs that they're going to platoon both until it absolutely becomes unavoidable either through a good offer from someone else or the upcoming expansion draft. Nothing's really changed Both goalies have massive upside and can be... inconsistent. :dunno: But that's my piece on it, I'm not going to threadshit anymore on it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can't say which one long term would be better. I was hoping for a bit more time (and games) to draw a conclusion. I'd lean towards Jarry, but it's not an easy call considering the season was cut short. They're both superb when they're at the top of their games, but Jarry will likely be cheaper and is a much better puck handler. MM has won two cups and when he's challenging shooters and square to the puck, he's dominant. Not easy. I think Jarry's mental make up might be better also. MM seems to be a bit more up and down in that regard. I'll go with Jarry but not by much.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Needs a third option.

Not enough data on this year/playoffs to make the call.
Murray was just starting to take back the net...Well..Jarry was starting to not be clearly better, at least.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lehner sure. Markstrom though?

As mentioned by another poster, I would hand out one-year deals to both of them to play it out. Although, I’m not sure Murray would agree to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad