Poll: How well did Chevy do this off season?

How did Chevy do this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The 1969 NY Mets beg to differ. They were crap on a stick for years until suddenly, they weren't. Sorry, I just don't buy into this whole "playoff experience" business. Every player on the Jets has experienced the increased intensity of playoff hockey at some time in their lives. They know what it's about, they know what it takes. Or they sure as hell should. Just say no to rentals. :thumbd:
This is your example? A baseball team from 49 years ago. Sorry but if you have to dig this deep you are proving the opposing point of view.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Did he though? He signed long term deals for aging vets like Little and Wheeler while Morrissey was bridged. Also no deal yet for Connor and Laine. I am in particular concerned the he might bridge Connor next season.
Morrissey was bridged because he wanted to be bridged. Much better than going to war with a rising young star. Would you prefer if he was still holding out with the language escalating? And Little was signed the previous off season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think there is a big difference between PO experience against Jr or European teams then playing against the best players in the world. BTW players like Gretzky and Mario have both spoken on how the PO experience they got before their 1st cup was absolutely valuable to winning a cup.

As for the Mets. They were called the Miracle Mets for a reason. One example from 50 years ago does not booster your argument.

One fact that doesn't fit the model is all it takes to disprove a hypothesis. I'm sure Gretzky and Mario believed their prior PO experience was invaluable but they are looking at it without the benefit of having experienced the alternative.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry for this late reply. To busy recently to read all the threads.

I disagree with your assessment that the Stastny deal was not good value for the Jets. While I understand the argument that unless you win it all you wasted assets like #1 picks. But I believe that what the Jets got back in PO experience for a young team with virtually no PO experience is still valuable for the Jets long term future success. I don't think the Jets beat the president trophy winning Preds last spring without Stastny. He, Scheif, Wheels, Helle and Buff is who won it for us and without Stastny I don't think the Jets win that series. Not sure you can quantify how valuable the experience gained by the Jets young players got by beating the NHL's best reg season team in the 7 game in their barn is to the teams over all future success but it deffinitly will help and not hurt. All championship teams need to learn how to win the PO's before they win it all. I think the Jets got that last PO's and that make the Stastny deal worth it for me.

I think that PO experience is overrated, just to start. Then it isn't like they would not have made the POs without Stastny. So the incremental benefit is small at best. The Jets beat the Preds with Stastny. Without him, it could still have gone either way, although I concede I like our chances better with him. I agree the value of that is hard to quantify.

At the time I accepted the deal - because he was a perfect fit - so not a typical TD rental. They usually aren't that good. Also the price we paid, although it was very large IMO, was cheap by TD standards. But in hindsight, I still don't like the value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad