Poll: How well did Chevy do this off season?

How did Chevy do this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Now that the final player is signed, how well do you think Chevy did this off season? He certainly had a lot of items on his to do list. I'm giving him a B because I didn't like the Mason and Armia deal. I thought we gave up too good of a player to shed only one year of salary.

Not too sure about the timing of the Wheeler deal, and the term and AAV a bit high. But I like the message it sends to the team and the younger players. Probably couldn't have done too much better, but this deal has tarnished Chey's reputation as a GM capable of signing his top players to team friendly contracts.

What say you?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wasn't a fan of the Mason/Armia deal or the term of the Wheeler deal. Also not a big fan of the bridge deal for Morrissey, Chevy definitely blinked there. Rest of the signings were good so it wasn't a complete failure. Although he did nothing that I wanted.

I'm a harsh critic. D from me.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
With all the foreseeable moves for this summer done, I think it is time for a little analysis of how the summer actually went. As we all knew, Chevy had quite a bit on his plate, and here is our chance to crack down on all the moves he made from the draft to the present moment. Without further ado, let's go through these in a chronological order. Also, the more important moves will be weighted more heavily when calculating the final grade.

Disclaimer: these are highly subjective. Don't @ me.

The draft: C+

Not much to evaluate at this point. No deals were made on the draft floor, so the organisation saw six new faces coming in. Without picks earlier than the 60th, pushing the grade much above average was always going to be hard, but I'm going to give Chevy some credit here. Gustafsson seems to have been a great pick from a statistical point of view, and we did not exactly pick anyone who screams 'do not draft', so C+ seems to be just right. I did not find any HFJets poll for the public opinion, which I would have gone for if there was one.

Signing Morrow: C+

Hey, at least we did not throw that fourth rounder completely out of the window. A cheap depth option who can possibly keep Chiarot out of the lineup for a million: is there much to complain about?

Mason/Armia trade: E

At the time, clearing cap space was a necessary move that, quite simply, HAD to be done.

We are all in agreement? Good.

And even still, that trade sucks. Giving up Armia, an useful player who could have fetched some futures on his own (there was no way of keeping him even in the light of recent news, I reckon), two picks and a capable backup was an excessive price for shedding Mason's cap hit. 'Had to be done to make room for other big names!'

...right. At the time, this was closer to a C, but the grade has dropped like a stone ever since.

Kerdiles for De Leo: C

Almost forgot this even happened. Cannot think of a downside, so C it is.

Letting Stastny walk: B

Sounds odd to give a B for something like this, but at least there was one occasion in which Chevy fully recognised what should be prioritised over other things. Keeping Stastny would have been a nice one, but ultimately, we needed cap space for many other contracts...

this is already hurting me like hell

Signing Brossoit: C-

On one hand, we are looking very much like a one-goalie team. On the other hand, we're probably getting exactly what we paid for: a league-minimum player. Besides, with our budget (sigh), there was not a lot we could have gotten from the free agency, especially with other teams spending quite heavily on names like Halak and Khudobin.

Still wondering why the hell nobody has signed Mason or Lehtonen...

Signing the three AHLers: N/A

Here's one for a pub quiz: name all three of our signings for the Moose from July 1st.

Signing Hellebuyck: B+

Here's the first big fish, and even though the salary seems a little inflated (certainly in comparison to the numbers which were thrown around here in most predictions), we got one of the three cornerstones locked up long term. As people kindly pointed out at the time of the signings, 6.1 AAV is actually quite good for a goalie of Hellebuyck's caliber - even if the sample size isn't exactly ideal - and many other teams have paid a larger % of cap for their young starters in the past. It is great to have a somewhat stable solution in net... finally.

For those who are wondering, getting the dollar amount under 6 AAV would have pushed this to an A, at least in my books. Still, a great move by Chevy.

Signing Lowry: A

Simply put - a fantastic deal. Lowry had an impact of a top 6 C while playing with bottom 6 linemates last year. This was an analytics litmus test for the team, and Chevy passed it with flying colours, combining commitment to one of the most important bottom sixers on the team and avoiding a bloated deal based on one year of high-end play. Such a beautiful move: three years can hardly be considered risky, and the AAV is cheap in comparison to most 3Cs around.

Trouba arbitration: N/A, *OR* E-

Sigh. Y'all know what I think of this situation.

If - still an if - this was a case of Trouba not negotiating for a second and making his way out of Winnipeg the hard way, can we put Chevy at fault? I don't think we can, at least when evaluating his performance this summer. You cannot exactly force the player to sign.

If Trouba was willing to sign a contract with the Jets, we can - and should - blame Chevy here, big time. For God's sake - you have a young 1D in your hands. You paid for cap space to make your moves. What is the holdup? Statistics prove that Trouba has performed at a 1D level for the past two years: this is not a situation in which you cheap out on.

The only redeeming quality here is that the agent he was dealing with was Overhardt. That, and... for f***'s sake, we'll get to it later.

Signing Tanev: B-

Tanev does not bring much to the table on his own. However, he had some wild success with Lowry, and I don't mind bringing him back for another year to see if that success can be replicated. His speed helps an awful lot and he can forecheck. The B- comes from keeping the contract very, very short and small; Tanev is not a player who you should bet on long term, and this is probably an OK solution for us.

Signing Dano: C

I mean, someone has to man the pressbox, right?

He probably should get his shot, but man, is it a tough ask to break the forward lineup of ours. Dano is the type of player who you want for your depth guy, though, so seeing him get an opportunity would be nice.

Signing Poolman: B+

MAURICE. Chevy did his job - a terrific one at that - so listen up: now it is your turn. Give Poolman the 3rd pairing RD slot.

The sample size is very small here, but there is literally no risk attached to this deal. Getting a surefire NHL defenseman signed costs you more than 775k a year, and if Poolman never solidifies himself as that, the contract can be buried. On the other hand, this could be a key contract heading into the next two offseasons, during which we have a lot of deals to sign. A NHL RHD making under a million? Sign me up.

I can't give this one an A, largely because Poolman is not a sure thing by any means. Nevertheless, I like this contract, and now it is up to Maurice and Tucker himself to find out how much we can benefit from a cheap deal like this. These won't come around often.

Signing Petan: B

This is a B. Chevy literally paid the minimum amount on the dollar: what else can you ask for? Oh, that someone would actually give Petan a fair shake with NHL caliber linemates.

Signing Kerdiles: C

Blah.

Signing Vesalainen: A+

I'm in awe with how Chevy managed to get KV's signature for such a low amount of performance bonuses. Not only that, but those bonuses don't even kick in this year, which allows us to call him up without having to worry about the numbers too much. Especially in light of some other top rookies' ELCs, this was a very good move from Chevy. No complaints here.

Signing Wheeler: D

Quite a controversial one, this. I get it, the Cap'n was our MVP last year - at least I think so - and losing him for nothing would have been a big blow. Having said that... is a 32-year-old winger someone who we want to invest a lot of cap space in at this point? With so many young guns left to sign, this sure seems like an odd one to prioritise so highly.

There are a lot of redeeming qualities here: for one, Wheeler is pretty f***ing great. Secondly, I somehow have more faith in his longevity than in the cases of most 30+ players. Those are just two of many. Those don't remove all the risk that is associated with a contract like this. I'd like to be very wrong here, but the optimism just isn't there.

OK, here goes. Rant warning.

Signing Comrie: B-

(FFS, forgot this one)

Again, no downside to this deal. People don't like him, but it is not like we have a boatload of options, nor should we have five AHL goalies at once so that one of them could succeed in a pinch in a NHL game. It will be interesting to see which one of him and Brossoit makes the cut. I could see Comrie getting a chance or two. Let's hope that the small sample we have of him in the NHL does not represent him as a player.

Reloading rant...

Signing Morrissey: F-

This is inexcusable.

This should not have been an option.

Chevy has already gone down this path once - this bloody summer, for heaven's sake - with Trouba. A young top flight defenseman isn't signing with the team. By the looks of things, the future of the blue line looks shaky: one stud is aging, one is eyeing for an exit. It would sure be a shame to take an insane, unnecessary risk with the third one... and that is exactly what Chevy did.

This is not even a question of cap space. With all the bonuses factored in, we are looking at 3.3 million of cap room. You aren't seriously telling me that they couldn't have offered at least 5 AAV to Morrissey on a longer deal? What is that cap space good for now? They literally paid assets to free up some, and now it is going to waste, with two crucial defensemen on short-term deals?

Along with the Trouba situation, this makes me question the way this organisation evaluates defensemen. We have NOTHING at LHD after Morrissey, and they didn't see him as important enough to lock up now? What a tire fire.

Boom goes the final grade. One of the four big moves they made this summer bombed hard, and that will f***ing show.

Other things:

Losing Enstrom: this will hurt. Probably our best defenseman in terms of pure defensive ability last year. Somebody needs to step up and take on that tough role of Toby's. This won't affect the final grade, seeing as Toby was probably always going to return home.

Not trading Myers: a wasted opportunity. Given the fact that we don't have a backup goalie, keeping Mason and trading Armia and Myers would have been a better move in terms of asset management and roster fits. This should be a slight negative, but because this is highly speculative, it won't even be that.

Not signing an useless facepuncher/glue guy: Wow, they've learned.

Evaluation:

The events will be weighed differently based on their importance. The tiers are:

Tier 1: Hellebuyck/Trouba/Morrissey/Wheeler (highest weight, a little over 55% of final grade. Weighed equally.)
Tier 2: Draft/Lowry/Vesalainen/Mason trade (moderate weight. Lowry given more weight due to importance to the team, under 30% of the final grade.)
Tier 3: Tanev/Brossoit/Morrow/Poolman (Some weight, about 15%. All equal too.)
Tier 4: everything else (little weight, under 10% in total. All equal in this tier.)

Final grade: D+

The team did not suffer much in the short term, for the core stayed pretty much intact. There might be an area of weakness or two, but this should still be a 100-point team without too much hassle, even in the very strong Central. However, some of the moves that were made were could end up shortening the contention window by quite a bit, notably the horrendous Morrissey deal. On a more positive note, a couple of great depth moves could buy us some breathing room down the line - mainly Poolman and Lowry. Still, I am disappointed in how two (/three) of the four big moves were handled, which lowers the grade quite a bit. I hope that Chevy does better next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Now that the final player is signed, how well do you think Chevy did this off season? He certainly had a lot of items on his to do list. I'm giving him a B because I didn't like the Mason and Armia deal. I thought we gave up too good of a player to shed only one year of salary.

Not too sure about the timing of the Wheeler deal, and the term and AAV a bit high. But I like the message it sends to the team and the younger players. Probably couldn't have done too much better, but this deal has tarnished Chey's reputation as a GM capable of signing his top players to team friendly contracts.

What say you?

I would say just about the same as you. I don't know how that gets a B though. That is barely a C to me.

I would add that he paid a little too much to each of several players and didn't have the $$$ to get Morrissey locked up in the end.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I'd say B....

Pros
- Contracts for the RFAs were all signed at a reasonable amount
- Signed Wheeler
- Retained most players

Cons:
- Lost Armia
- Backup goalie is big question
- Still question of filling in Stastny's place
- LHD may be a little ehhhhh
- Trouba not locked up long term.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
D for me.

I thought our draft this summer was rather meh with no real sexy picks with high upside. But still too soon to say.

I didn't care that much for the Armia trade bit we needed cap space.

I'm also not a fan of keeping Myers around as he would have returned a decent amount and we wouldn't have had to pay anyone to take a contract of he was moved. It is compounded by the organization wanting to push him into the top 4 on his offside for whoever knows what reason.

I am like warm at best on our backup situation heading into the year.

Contracts:

The Helle, Lowry, Morrow, Petan, Dano and Poolman deals where all very nicely handled.

The Wheeler deal was far too much for far too long imo.

Hard to knock him on Trouba if he wants out.

I would have also liked to see Morrissey on a long term deal but he didn't leave himself enough room to really make it worth Josh's while to forgo betting on himself.

All in all not super impressed but Chevy did have a difficult job this season. He won't have any easier of one next year so let's hope he learned a few things.

Reactions: Mathil8

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I voted C, but it felt more like B-

Nothing he could have done on Trouba: the guy wants out, plain and simple. Chevy will be judged next year on what he trades him for.

Pros:
- Hellebuyck deal. He'll be worth every penny of that deal over the long haul.
- Morrissey deal. I was always in favour of a bridge: I don't think he'll get the offensive minutes in the next 2 years that would drive his numbers up.
- not qualifying Morrow to avoid arbitration, then re-signing him. This was a sneaky-good little move that doesn't get talked about enough.
- remaining small RFA deals (Petan, Dano, Poolman, etc). He squeezed the guys who needed to get squeezed: the ones at the bottom of the roster.

Wait and see:
- Lowry deal. A little rich for me in terms of $$ and sets us up to have to pay Copp a lot next year.
- Nothing on Laine. I still feel like this may happen, and for less money that people think (just a hunch!)

Cons:
- Wheeler deal. I can live with the $$ but 5 years is at least a year too long. Also, no real need to get this done until next summer.
- Losing Armia and picks without getting Stastny. I like getting Mason off the books, but...
- Brossoit deal. We need a guy to take 1 out of every 4 starts. Not sure he's it.

Reactions: GNP

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
G Mason -> G Brossoit
D Enstrom -> D Morrow
C Hendricks -> C Roslovic
W Armia -> W Vesalainen/Dano/Petan (TBD)

The team should be good, like last year.

No grave mistakes like trading Trouba, trading Wheeler (some amongst us were actually open for that, I think that's madness), trading Perreault without the cap situation absolutely forcing it, or prematurely extending Myers.

Unfortunately couldn't get into the driver's seat regarding the negotiations with Morrissey and Trouba, unlike with Hellebuyck. We don't know what was offered or asked, we just know that the situation doesn't look ideal from the team's perspective. The signed deals are good value in the short term, though. And again, nothing stupid like trading one of them away.

Resolved Wheeler's contract situation, taking on some risk in the early-to-mid 2020s in exchange for making sure that our team is will ice their best possible roster to compete within the next two years, which conveniently is exactly the window that is set by Trouba's (contract) and Byfuglien's (age and contract) situations. In two years, we're looking at completely rebuilding our defense. Will Morrissey-Niku be our top pair? Could well be.

Didn't fall into the trap of sacrificing core pieces of this 114-point team while trying to build a dynasty starting 3 years from now. Unfortunately, this is what I feel a lot of posters here are falling for.

The cap dump to the Habs was necessary in the sense that some sort of cap dump was necessary. I might have looked into trading Myers first, but there are arguments against that as well. Brossoit was a bit of a risky move, but one that is not too hard to fix if things go awry. Lowry, Tanev and the other minor NHL contracts signed are reasonable. The Moose have more competition at F this year, and that's a good thing. No issues with the draft.

Looks good to me.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I would say just about the same as you. I don't know how that gets a B though. That is barely a C to me.

I would add that he paid a little too much to each of several players and didn't have the $$$ to get Morrissey locked up in the end.

To me, it warrants a B because the things I'm critical of are more nit picking than anything and we're better off having them done without it becoming a distraction. A slight over pay here and there does add up, but over the long term won't matter too much.

Wheeler probably wouldn't have signed for much less. Although the timing was bad. Who's to say if he still wasn't signed before Morrisey that he might have given a bit to make room to sign him long term? But I'm not too disappointed with the bridge deal.

Mostly didn't like giving up so much to shed one year of salary in the Mason deal.

The good far outweighs the bad IMO. Particularly locking up Helley up. And Lowry, although I would have liked one more year on that contract.

Also, I've liked what Chevy's done up to now and there's a bit of trust that I am biased towards. Until he screws up. :laugh:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I also think he'll make up for everything with Laine signing for $6.2 million. That's more than Ehlers earns. Haha. Winnipeg rejoices. And then the NHLPA makes some phone calls.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To me, it warrants a B because the things I'm critical of are more nit picking than anything and we're better off having them done without it becoming a distraction. A slight over pay here and there does add up, but over the long term won't matter too much.

Wheeler probably wouldn't have signed for much less. Although the timing was bad. Who's to say if he still wasn't signed before Morrisey that he might have given a bit to make room to sign him long term? But I'm not too disappointed with the bridge deal.

Mostly didn't like giving up so much to shed one year of salary in the Mason deal.

The good far outweighs the bad IMO. Particularly locking up Helley up. And Lowry, although I would have liked one more year on that contract.

Also, I've liked what Chevy's done up to now and there's a bit of trust that I am biased towards. Until he screws up. :laugh:

You've mentioned the 2 major negatives. Where is the good that outweighs it? I like the Lowry contract and I don't consider the Helle contract a big accomplishment. Not that it is bad but was there ever any doubt there?

The trust is fine. It has been earned. But it shouldn't get a boost in the rating of this specific period. In school if you scored an A- on one exam and a C- on the next, does that A- justify raising the C- to a B?

If I had included the Stastny trade I would have had to reduce the rating to a D. :laugh: But I stayed with the specified period.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m between a C & D this summer. Not great, sky isn’t falling either. Optimistically I voted a C......can’t see how it could be higher.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Lets start with cons: Couldn't keep Statsny, lost Armia for nothing, we have no legit backup, Vesalainen going to Europe if he doesn't get what he wants, Trouba arbitration, JoMo bridge, Bryan Little is 2c (though I have some hope for that second line and I really like Bryan, it just didn't work last season AT ALL so that's why I still feel worried)...

And pros: Wheeler signed. (I'm probably forgetting something 'cause I just can't think of anything positive right now lol)

D-

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
You've mentioned the 2 major negatives. Where is the good that outweighs it? I like the Lowry contract and I don't consider the Helle contract a big accomplishment. Not that it is bad but was there ever any doubt there?

The trust is fine. It has been earned. But it shouldn't get a boost in the rating of this specific period. In school if you scored an A- on one exam and a C- on the next, does that A- justify raising the C- to a B?

If I had included the Stastny trade I would have had to reduce the rating to a D. :laugh: But I stayed with the specified period.

I didn't mind the Stastny trade. I know we lost some futures, but if we had made it to the SC finals or even gone all the way to a parade, no one would be questioning the trade. I like that he's willing to roll the dice when the timing seems right. Didn't work out, but you know... hindsight and all.

Maybe to you the two thing I mentioned are major negatives. As I said, to me, it's more nit picking, specifically the Wheeler deal. I would rather sign him early than go through all the bs that Ladd did in the final year of his contract with us.

I do consider signing Helle a big accomplishment. More than anyone, this needed to be done. Can you imagine this place if he held out like Morrissey did? :laugh: Locking up Wheeler, one of the top wingers in the league, and Helle, a Vezina candidate are major accomplishments that will pay dividends for years to come. I wouldn't diminish either of these signings.

Add all of the other signings as wins for Chevy and I get a B (maybe B-, but still a B)

Trust in this scenario is not equivalent to grading in school. There's much more speculation involved here as to how negotiations go and have gone. None of us are in the negotiating room, so we're all guessing. So I have to go back to Chevy's track record to some extent and trust that he's doing what's best for the team given the cards he's dealt.

You're obviously a tougher grader than I am.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I voted B.

- Got Helle locked up long term.
- Moved a piece out we didn't need to get Mason's hit off the books so that he had money to go long term on both Trouba and Morrissey if they wanted to. If we still had Armia then we'd be pressured to trade Petan/Dano or we'd lose them on waivers. Something had to give and moving out Mason's cap was a good return for a bottom 6 Pker AKA "just a guy" on our team. With Mason's contract and Armia's raise we'd be over the cap with Bonus money. Mason would have been done after this year and I'm not convinced that Comrie is the guy either. Good time to audition someone else.
- Only went to arbitration with one player
- Moved on from Hendricks/Mathias types. Will have skill up and down the lineup.
- Kept the defensive depth. We've had to go 10 deep in past seasons, hopefully we won't have to this year.
- brought in a league minimum backup on a one year deal. Can bury him in the minors without penalty if we claim a goalie off waivers at the start of the year.
- locked up the Captain. No distractions this season about if the leader will be back next year.
- Got a bridge deal with Morriessy so we'll be able to add at the deadline and should have no trouble locking up Laine, Connor and Trouba(?) next year. Kulikov's deal comes off the books right as Morrissey needs to be signed long term.

But mainly I voted B because the team is in a better spot than they were for game 1 last season. We have a vezina caliber goalie. We have lots of competition for D spots, so much that Niku may have to spend one more year in the minors. There are no Hendricks/Mathias type forwards; everyone can play and move up the lineup when needed. We're going to have 3 of Appleton, Vesalainen, Petan, Dano as injury replacements.

Go Jets Go!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I understand all of the points made above, but all of these decisions were made knowing what Chevy knows, not what we know.

Decisions that look like they may be mistakes or not optimal for the team, included at least one other side of the bargaining table. We have no idea what he had to work with.

We have all of the key pieces required for another run at the cup this year, so it's good enough for me.

Reactions: libertarian and GNP

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yup I agree with Maukkis OP, a bit disappointing summer overall. Some good, some bad....overall the bad slightly out weigh the good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oseductive

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

If your expecting Chevy to continue to sign great young players to below market level contracts then you’ll never be happy with his performance.

Reactions: Spock

Raejuusto

May 16, 2018
Good:
- Small RFA signings (bottom six)
- Morrow
- Helle

In general these are some low-hanging fruits. But solid GM work never the less.

Bad:
- Mason / Armia
- Brossoit
- JoMo bridge
- Trouba
- Wheeler

I feel we could have gotten better return from the Mason & Armia deal. Goalies are hard to predict, but Broissoit has so far not been convincing as an NHL backup. Not a fan of bridge deals, JoMo will need to get paid after two seasons. Should he prove to be as offensively gifted as I think he could be we are in deep waters. Would have sought other alternatives for Trouba and Wheeler.

So my grade would be a D

Also my bold statement to help with the negativity:
The team was always going to be better next season than the last. A team this deep will win a cup within the next 5 years. Should be more though.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm right there with people saying the moves this offseason were sub-optimal, no doom and gloom from me though.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think he did a good job overall. Trouba is the only one that didn't turn out well for us, but you can't blame that on Chevy; if Trouba doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg. Not much you can do about that, other than throw outrageous amounts of money at him, which would have been a terrible move.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I gave him a B. I mean he has a lot to juggle with all the cap space crunching, he did what had to be done. Happy he locked up Helle and very happy we're keeping Wheeler. Little nervous about the #2 goalie, but I dunno maybe another goalie miracle will happen like Helle last year. Maybe Brossoit has been training like a madman all Summer. I mean I can hope, right?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't mind the Stastny trade. I know we lost some futures, but if we had made it to the SC finals or even gone all the way to a parade, no one would be questioning the trade. I like that he's willing to roll the dice when the timing seems right. Didn't work out, but you know... and all.

Maybe to you the two thing I mentioned are major negatives. As I said, to me, it's more nit picking, specifically the Wheeler deal. I would rather sign him early than go through all the bs that Ladd did in the final year of his contract with us.

I do consider signing Helle a big accomplishment. More than anyone, this needed to be done. Can you imagine this place if he held out like Morrissey did? :laugh: Locking up Wheeler, one of the top wingers in the league, and Helle, a Vezina candidate are major accomplishments that will pay dividends for years to come. I wouldn't diminish either of these signings.

Add all of the other signings as wins for Chevy and I get a B (maybe B-, but still a B)

Trust in this scenario is not equivalent to grading in school. There's much more speculation involved here as to how negotiations go and have gone. None of us are in the negotiating room, so we're all guessing. So I have to go back to Chevy's track record to some extent and trust that he's doing what's best for the team given the cards he's dealt.

You're obviously a tougher grader than I am.:sarcasm:

Everyone always has the same response to TD rentals "if we had won the cup, no one would complain". But we didn't. Beyond that, the trade never at any time increased our odds by enough to justify the trade - unless it had worked - which it didn't. The vast majority of TD deals don't succeed to that degree. Therefore they are not a good bet. It is like buying lottery tickets. They are a horrible bet. A lot less is paid out in prizes than what is spent on tickets so it is bound to be a bad bet. Unless you win.

I don't think the Wheeler deal was a big negative. It was both a bit too long and a bit too much $$$. But it is a roll of the dice that I like much better than a TD rental.

Signing Helle was big compared to not signing him. :laugh: It absolutely needed to be done, but all that was required was a market value contract. I don't think it was ever in doubt. So it is a C. C is not bad. It is average, like most things are. All of the other signings are C's also. It doesn't matter how many you get, if all your grades are C's, your GPA is a C. Call the Wheeler deal a C also. The Mason deal was a D. Avg - C-.

This is your thread. :laugh: I'm just sticking to the criteria of the OP. I don't see room there for a trust bonus.

Reactions: JetsUK

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I also think he'll make up for everything with Laine signing for $6.2 million. That's more than Ehlers earns. Haha. Winnipeg rejoices. And then the NHLPA makes some phone calls.

Why would the NHLPA care? The players are getting 50% of HRR regardless of what any player signs for.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If your expecting Chevy to continue to sign great young players to below market level contracts then you’ll never be happy with his performance.

Where did I ask for that? Or even hint at that? I think I've been saying just the opposite. I expect our players to need market value contracts, just like everybody else's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad