Poll: How many guys score 15+ goals?

How many Players score 15+ goals for the Habs this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The more I look into it, the more I feel we need 6-8 guys who score 20 goals (prorated). In 18/19, we had 6 guys with 20 goals (prorated but at least 50 games) and we missed the playoffs.

Yes, that's basically our strategy this year - since we don't have high end offensive guys, we have to beat teams with our depth of offense. And we do have depth of offense.

If the team is successful, but lacking a little offensive touch, I could see MB adding one more top 9 forward at the deadline.

I would have loved Athanasiou at 1.2M without giving up assets...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My guess for this season:

Toffoli - Would be disappointed if he didn't.... this is why we signed him.
Gallagher - Think this is the only sure thing.
Tatar - I think this is likely.
Weber - I think he's a solid pick for 15+.

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Drouin I think will all be on the cusp. They may hit 15+, but my guess is 11-14 range.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

He'll have a hard time doing it if he's stuck with Kotkaniemi and Armia all season long.

Nothing against Kotkaniemi who's a huge part of this team's future. But I just don't see a fit there. Toffoli needs a natural playmaker on his line and there is none right now.

I was hoping if not Suzuki, he would be put on a line with Drouin. I really am not all that enthousiastic about our 3rd line as it stands.

I think there are a whole bunch of very, very interesting oppourtunities we are passing up on just to protect Danault's ego and keeping his line together.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In the past, we had 10 top 9 forwards. So, as soon as we had 2 or more injuries, we had guys like Cousins, Weal, and Agostino come into the top 9. Or, after the Danault line, we had Domi playing with Byron and Lehkonen.

This year we have at least 12 top 9 forwards - yes Byron, Lehkonen, and even Evans can all step into the top 9 when there are injuries. Byron and Lehkonen shouldn't be in the top 6, on the same line. But in short spurts one can even fill in in the top 6 if the guy playing RW and C are legitimate offensive players. Plus there's Perry and Frolik who just may have something left.

I don't see why we can't wear teams down with wave after wave of offensive pressure. On paper, if any team can have 6+ 20 goal scorers over 82 games (i.e. 13-15 goals over 56 games) it's this one.

But this all has to come to fruition on the ice. Nothing has happened yet.

That was my point. There's undoubtedly potential with our group. Our biggest strength is the two way ability of our group of forwards. Drouin and KK are the only two who aren't as refined defensively as the rest. You can maybe throw in Tatar but he's not that bad. The rest...Gallagher-Danault-Anderson-Toffoli-Byron-Suzuki-Lek-Armia-Evans-Frolik..We don't have to worry so much about who's starting in the defensive zone anymore.
That's a major plus.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Gallagher - Think this is the only sure thing.
Tatar - I think this is likely.
Weber - I think he's a solid pick for 15+.

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Drouin I think will all be on the cusp. They may hit 15+, but my guess is 11-14 range.

With Anderson and Perry standing in front of the net on back to back PP units, we should see a lot more goals go in from the point on the PP. This bodes well for Weber getting back to scoring at a 20+ goal pace over 82 games.

Reactions: rickthegoon

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He'll have a hard time doing it if he's stuck with Kotkaniemi and Armia all season long.

Nothing against Kotkaniemi who's a huge part of this team's future. But I just don't see a fit there. Toffoli needs a natural playmaker on his line and there is none right now.

I was hoping if not Suzuki, he would be put on a line with Drouin. I really am not all that enthousiastic about our 3rd line as it stands.

I think there are a whole bunch of very, very interesting oppourtunities we are passing up on just to protect Danault's ego and keeping his line together.

I think Kotkaniemi's playmaking is vastly underrated though whether he and Toffoli develop chemistry is another story. I do think at least 1/3 of Toffoli's offense will come on the PP though,

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, that's basically our strategy this year - since we don't have high end offensive guys, we have to beat teams with our depth of offense. And we do have depth of offense.

If the team is successful, but lacking a little offensive touch, I could see MB adding one more top 9 forward at the deadline.

I would have loved Athanasiou at 1.2M without giving up assets...

Getzlaf to join Perry, Price, and Weber on the last year of his deal. Then he signs back with the Ducks to make is wife happy in the off season. Ducks retain 50% for the rest of the year (deadline deal). This is why I think we have to go with 21 man roster vs 22. We need to create as much cap fluff as possible for the deadline.

Can Suzuki and KK go on deep playoff runs at age 20 and 21? I have my doubts. Adding Getzlaf and moving KK to his wing is not terrible IMO.

We will see how injuries play out

Reactions: bsl and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would have liked to have signed another offensive player to play within and Toffoli. But hopefully Toffoli will find chemistry with one of Suzuki or Drouin. I could easily see Toffoli moving up to the 2nd line pretty quickly. He should be on one of the pp units and from there he could show he needs to be with Suzuki. But then again Tatar basically did that but the 5 on 5 lines stayed the same.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Getzlaf to join Perry, Price, and Weber on the last year of his deal. Then he signs back with the Ducks to make is wife happy in the off season. Ducks retain 50% for the rest of the year (deadline deal). This is why I think we have to go with 21 man roster vs 22. We need to create as much cap fluff as possible for the deadline.

Can Suzuki and KK go on deep playoff runs at age 20 and 21? I have my doubts. Adding Getzlaf and moving KK to his wing is not terrible IMO.

We will see how injuries play out

Getzlaf could work. So could ufa's to be like Hall or Hoffman...

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Suzuki -18 G
Drouin - 17 G
Gallagher - 16 G
Tatar - 16 G
Kotkaniemi - 15 G
Toffoli - 15 G
Anderson - 14 G
Armia - 14 G
Weber - 14 G
Danault - 11 G
Byron - 10 G
Perry - 10 G
Petry - 10 G

That's my prediction. Only 6 guys with 15 goals or more, but 13 with at least 10.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be insane to have 6-8 guys scoring 20 goals in 56 games.

Not 20 goals in 56 games. Prorated so more like 13-15 range. 15 goals in 56 games is a 22 goal season over 82 games.

When you look at 18/19, we had 6 guys with 20 goal prorated numbers and 3 more on the fringe. Not legit 20 goal seasons but the potential is there if we stay away from injuries and have a better PP. Ice time will be spread out

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's a shame Danault didn't like playing with Byron and Lehkonen. They were a damn good shutdown line that also kept the Penguins on their heals with their counter attacks.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Suzuki -18 G
Drouin - 17 G
Gallagher - 16 G
Tatar - 16 G
Kotkaniemi - 15 G
Toffoli - 15 G
Anderson - 14 G
Armia - 14 G
Weber - 14 G
Danault - 11 G
Byron - 10 G
Perry - 10 G
Petry - 10 G

That's my prediction. Only 6 guys with 15 goals or more, but 13 with at least 10.

This is definitely overly optimistic. This is a 56 games season. 6 guys with 15 goals or more would equate to 6 22 goals scorers in an 82 games season.

I expect something along the likes of:
Gallagher: 19 goals
Toffoli:16 goals
Tatar: 15 goals
Anderson: 13 goals
Kotkaniemi: 13 goals
Armia: 12 goals
Weber: 11 goals
Drouin: 8 goals
Byron: 8 goals
Danault: 7 goals
Petry: 7 goals

For the guys you listed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is definitely overly optimistic. This is a 56 games season. 6 guys with 15 goals or more would equate to 6 22 goals scorers in an 82 games season.

For the guys you listed.

Note that you have most of these guys scoring at a career low pace.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

For the guys you listed.

Yeah maybe. But I hate when people use phrases like definitely for predictions. Every year there are surprises that would have "definitely" been impossible for half the posters on here.

I'll bookmark this post and eat my crow if your prediction is closer to reality than mine :cheers:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Note that you have most of these guys scoring at a career low pace.

Career low? That would put Gallagher around 30 goals, Toffoli and Tatar right around 25 goals, Anderson and Kotkaniemi around 20 goals, Armia and Weber over 15 goals. I don't know what some of you are expecting, but that' pretty decent.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Career low? That would put Gallagher around 30 goals, Toffoli and Tatar right around 25 goals, Anderson and Kotkaniemi around 20 goals, Armia and Weber over 15 goals. I don't know what some of you are expecting, but that' pretty decent.

It will be an easy thing to measure difference at the end of the season. Whoever is off by more goals gets to choose the avatar for the other poster for a month? Deal? :naughty:

Edit: I guess that's a no then.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Gallagher has scored at a rate of at least 31 goals per 82 games ever since he fully recovered from his hand injuries - i.e. the last 3 seasons. Yet you have him scoring at a 27-28 goal pace over 82 games.

Toffoli scored 24 last year in 68 games, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 23 goals over 82 games.

Tatar had 22 goals in 68 games last year, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 22 goals in 82 games. (and the year before in his other year as a Hab, he had 25).

Armia had 16 goals in 58 games last year, yet you have him scoring 12 in 56.

Weber scored at a pace of 19 goals over 82 games last year, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 16 goals in 82 games this year.

Drouin, since he's been a Hab, has increased his goal scoring pace over 82 games from 14 to 18 to 21, yet you have him scoring at a 12 goals over 82 games pace.

Byron scored at an 11 goals over 82 games pace last year (an injury plagued year where he only played 29 games), yet had scored well above that in all his previous 4 seasons with us, but you have him scoring at an 11.7 goals over 82 games pace.

Danault's scored at a 12 or 13 goal pace over 82 games in each of his 4 seasons with us, yet you have him scoring at a 10 goal pace over 82 games.

Petry's scored at a pace of 12, 13, 12 over the last 3 years, yet you have him scoring at a 10 goal pace over 82 games.

Anderson had 27 goals the year before last when he was healthy, yet you have him scoring at a 19 goal pace over 82 games.

There will be injuries, and some players will have down years. But you have every single player except for KK having a down year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know of even care about this topic to much.

I dont think Montreal is going to wow anyone with goals this year, but I do see some hope for improvement on the PK, and goaltending.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Gallagher has scored at a rate of at least 31 goals per 82 games ever since he fully recovered from his hand injuries - i.e. the last 3 seasons. Yet you have him scoring at a 27-28 goal pace over 82 games.

Toffoli scored 24 last year in 68 games, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 23 goals over 82 games.

Tatar had 22 goals in 68 games last year, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 22 goals in 82 games. (and the year before in his other year as a Hab, he had 25).

Armia had 16 goals in 58 games last year, yet you have him scoring 12 in 56.

Weber scored at a pace of 19 goals over 82 games last year, yet you have him scoring at a pace of 16 goals in 82 games this year.

Drouin, since he's been a Hab, has increased his goal scoring pace over 82 games from 14 to 18 to 21, yet you have him scoring at a 12 goals over 82 games pace.

Byron scored at an 11 goals over 82 games pace last year (an injury plagued year where he only played 29 games), yet had scored well above that in all his previous 4 seasons with us, but you have him scoring at an 11.7 goals over 82 games pace.

Danault's scored at a 12 or 13 goal pace over 82 games in each of his 4 seasons with us, yet you have him scoring at a 10 goal pace over 82 games.

Petry's scored at a pace of 12, 13, 12 over the last 3 years, yet you have him scoring at a 10 goal pace over 82 games.

Anderson had 27 goals the year before last when he was healthy, yet you have him scoring at a 19 goal pace over 82 games.

There will be injuries, and some players will have down years. But you have every single player except for KK having a down year.

Statistically, your points are valid but we’ll have to see how things actually pan out. The schedule, travel arrangements and competition will be unlike anything we’ve had before. I’m expecting by game 20 or so, teams will start playing in playoff mode where checking gets a lot tighter and games are more intense.

My prediction is CJ, who normally rolls 4 lines, will really be strict about evening out ice time to keep everyone fresh. The top guys will still get more ice time, but I think less than they may be used to so their numbers may not be as high. Bottom-6 players I think will improve their numbers.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
I predict Gallagher 18, Anderson 16, Tatar 15, Toffolli 15, Weber 14, Drouin 14, Suzuki 13, Kotkaniemi 11, Petry 11, Danault 10, Armia 10

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That was my point. There's undoubtedly potential with our group. Our biggest strength is the two way ability of our group of forwards. Drouin and KK are the only two who aren't as refined defensively as the rest. You can maybe throw in Tatar but he's not that bad. The rest...Gallagher-Danault-Anderson-Toffoli-Byron-Suzuki-Lek-Armia-Evans-Frolik..We don't have to worry so much about who's starting in the defensive zone anymore.
That's a major plus.

Great point. I'm sure this makes it easier on Julien in the match-up game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->