• F - play offs ? I hope we can win another game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
With quarter of the season in the bag, time to make some preliminary assessments.

We played every team and only lost one series to Nashville, we split all other series, couldn’t get 4 points in any of the series.

We currently are placed 3rd, but percentage wise we are 6th.

Also, go ahead and name your selections for the following:

Best player :
Best newcomer:
Biggest disappointment:
Worst newcomer :
Will Columbus make play offs : Y/N

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
For some reason it won’t let me vote but I’m going with D, and heavy emphasis on “hard to watch”. Moneypuck has us at 27 percent to make the playoffs, which is 6th worst in the entire league. And that sounds about right. There’s no structure with this team. The defense has been atrocious. The offense? Nearly non-existent except for a few games. Despite our win last night, this team is sinking and sinking fast.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For some reason it won’t let me vote but I’m going with D, and heavy emphasis on “hard to watch”. Moneypuck has us at 27 percent to make the playoffs, which is 6th worst in the entire league. And that sounds about right. There’s no structure with this team. The defense has been atrocious. The offense? Nearly non-existent except for a few games. Despite our win last night, this team is sinking and sinking fast.

The models are taking into account how bad they've been in terms of possession/territorial play. If you're bad at that then you're probably a bad team even if your recent record says otherwise. But possession is also the one thing that should regress upward, they were much better at controlling play before 2021. I can't see why it would crater so much so quickly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Best player : Still Bjorkstrand
Best newcomer: Easily Roslovic
Biggest disappointment: Jones/Werenski. Laine is exactly what I expected.*
Worst newcomer: Domi
Will Columbus make play offs : No, but I'd give them closer to 40/50% odds. It's far from hopeless.

* I posted the night before the trade "If it's Laine, then the drama isn't over, it's just beginning".

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I went with D. I was tempted to do with F, but the record isn't bad enough to go with F.

Why D? Well, its not just how they're playing but its everything else surrounding it.

Firstly, Jarmo brought in via UFA/trade in the offseason three guys. Domi, Koivu, and MDZ. Koivu retired after he apparently wasn't pleased with how he was playing. So we'll just throw that one away. Domi has been very disappointing, although he has had a slight offensive awakening, I don't see this skilled playmaker he was billed to be. He was brought in to be the 2C, something I and many others doubted would work, and it hasn't and probably won't. Does that mean the trade is a failure? Well, not quite yet, but even if Domi becomes a solid 2nd line winger, you would still have to say the CBJ are disappointed in the return since Domi was supposed to be a center.

MDZ has been mostly solid. Nothing more to really add to that.

Secondly, we have the off ice drama. There's been a hefty amount of it, and I don't think the team is handling it well. Certainly not as well as the Panarin/Bob debacle of a few years ago, but its also seems to be quite a bit more heated. Torts threw gasoline on the campfire to make it a full on forest fire in the start of the year with the PLD mess. Then, PLD turned into PLDouche and quit, and was then traded to try to save face to the room and send a message. This entire situation was awkward and its hard to pin it on just one person, but the organization (mostly Torts) and PLDouche take responsibility here. It didn't have to be like this.

Then you have Torts in general and the rumors surrounding his fate. Suggested today by Portzline that he's trying to get out of here ASAP were met with skepticism (including by me), but even if we're right and it ISN'T true it is still another distraction held above the team and organization as a whole. Questions getting asked, word getting around, and the players could then soon tune out the coach they think is a lame duck. This isn't healthy, especially when the team is already dealing with massive departure issues. And if the rumors ARE true about him trying to leave? Woah boy.

Now of course you have the Laine thing. We'll see where this goes, but as majormajor said, this could just be the beginning of a lot of issues. First impressions are big, and he hasn't looked overly engaged in any of the games he played in. Then of course he gets benched for mouthing off to someone. Is he unhappy to be here? Is he still hurt? Is he still getting adjusted and playing timid? These are all valid questions, and they are starting to become constant questions with good players here.

I also want to point out Torts said yesterday that the new players are having a hard time on and off the ice adjusting to playing here and fitting in to our culture. That's not exactly a good indication things are going well behind closed doors either. It doesn't feel like this is a very fun place to play hockey recently, and the vibes around the team doesn't seem very good either. Couple that in with a lot of new faces, in a pandemic where players can't really hang out and get to know each other, it feels like we have a group of guys playing together rather than an actual team.

Then you have the most important aspect, the way the team is playing and results. I have talked about how we don't have an identity anymore, that we're boring to watch, and we have no forecheck. These have remained true. We have won games due to our goaltending and team defense, which I guess isn't new from last year, but is a far cry from this new offensive scheme Torts was peddling in the offseason.

Our top players are either severely underperforming (Jones, Werenski, Atkinson), severely overwhelmed with responsibilities (Domi, Texier, Bemstrom), or really inconsistent (Bjorkstrand, Savard, Foudy). Our powerplay still sucks, our PK is starting to get worse, and injuries/COVID haven't hit our team that hard yet.

I would say the best and most consistent forwards are Foligno, Roslovic, Nash, and Robinson. And considering Roslovic is 2nd on this list and he's only been here for like two weeks speaks volumes. The last two are just solid role players and don't really tilt the scales much.

All this negativity surrounding the team, yet our heads are still above water. Most of our wins are games we shouldn't have won, we've taken points from games we had no business taking, and maybe outside of one game we haven't lost any games we should have won. We're still in it, but it really doesn't FEEL like it. How the team responds to yet the latest drama will be telling, and if they can ever get some damn normalcy and get out of the news it would really be nice too.

So yeah, D. Passing grade, but just barely. Lots of room to improve, but yet a lot of doubts to whether they will.

Will they make the playoffs? No. Tampa, Carolina, and Dallas are near locks which means there’s one spot to grab. I don’t think we’re better than Florida right now and unless things change quickly I don’t think that’ll change anytime soon.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I went with C because we are above .500 and that’s taking into consideration all the issues the team went through.

Frankly, I was even tempted to go with B, but the fact that we couldn’t win any series certainly tips the scale to the C grade.

The positives are that we only lost to Nashville twice, we defeated every other team once. We looked very good against Tampa.(they are 9-1-1 with the only reg loss by CBJ)

Best player : Would’ve easily said Bjork after first 10 games, but he’s been rather bad last couple of games if you look at his advanced stats. To be honest, I can’t name a single player that truly stood out so far and that’s sad.

Best newcomer: At this point it is easily Roslovic. MDZ is second place.

Biggest disappointment: Still PLD considering the expectations we had for him before the trade request. Play wise: Seth, Cam.

Worst newcomer : Domi by a landslide, but I still think he can improve.

Will Columbus make play offs : Leaning towards No, considering the short season and a great start by 4 other teams. The last season showed that Columbus could crawl out of any hole though, so the hope is still there.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am in the B- / C+ range. So I gave them a B. The CBJ have had more drama than any other team and are still in the middle of the pack. I expected middle of the pack. If we go by the descriptions with the letter grades, I’d say many of them are appropriate. At times they are playing terrible and are hard to watch, but they had a decent start considering all circumstances, and are playing below expectations but not out of playoff reach.

Best player : Bjork
Best newcomer: Laine’s shot
Biggest disappointment: the drama and the defense
Worst newcomer : None deserve the “worst” label with no training camp. I am disappointed Koivu retired as I thought he would be great for the young guys. Hopefully he sticks around in some capacity.
Will Columbus make play offs : Probably going to finish 4 or 5, so maybe. The CBJ haven’t found their groove, but they are .500 so far, so there is hope.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fluctuating between C and D for me, but I'm seeing more C-level performances than D-level so far, so I erred on the side of optimism. It's been ugly and unnecessarily dramatic, but we're still in it.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I am in the C/D grade area. I think the CBJ can make it to 4th and sneak into the playoffs this year. The fact that this season has probably been the most dysfunctional in franchise history and they are sitting where they are sitting is positive sign I think

Reactions: DJA

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I went with C. Could have been a D, but I'm going to cut some slack for the abbreviated camp, swirling drama, and slew of new players on the roster. It feels like the team is at a turning point right now. They'll either slide into the D/F territory or get it together.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Best player : Bjorkstrand and it's not really close right now. Caveat out on Laine...if he turns into a 40 goal (over 82 games) type of guy who can help drive possession than it'll be him. But 3.5 games isn't enough to decide that.
Best newcomer: Jack Roslovic, though I do wonder how much is just a short term adrenaline boost playing for your hometown team and suddenly finding yourself on the top line playing career-high minutes.
Biggest disappointment: Seth Jones. Dude went from "he's going to win a Norris here soon" to maybe the worst "top Dman" in the league. He's been atrocious since the March 2020 pause. If I could, I'd basically list the entire top 4 here.
Worst newcomer : Can I say Mikko Koivu? Oh, he left the team already? Ok, Max Domi then. I'm not sure how much of it is getting yanked around to a new forward position every game, but he's made no impact - well, worse, he's made a negative impact.
Will Columbus make play offs : No

I went with C, though it's really more like a C- trending towards D. A long hill to climb and they haven't shown a whole lot of cohesion and finding their identity. It's getting late early and this has been the most drama-filled season since...the Carter era? Can't help but wonder if those distractions and the "disjointedness" of the locker room catches up to them soon.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
With quarter of the season in the bag, time to make some preliminary assessments.

We played every team and only lost one series to Nashville, we split all other series, couldn’t get 4 points in any of the series.

We currently are placed 3rd, but percentage wise we are 6th.

Also, go ahead and name your selections for the following:

Best player :
Best newcomer:
Biggest disappointment:
Worst newcomer :
Will Columbus make play offs : Y/N

Best player: Bjorky
Best newcomer: Roslovic - for now, let's see about Laine in a couple weeks, fingers crossed
Biggest disappointment: Cam
Worse newcomer: ??Grigs only by default?? - because I really don't want to give up on Domi yet
Will Columbus make playoffs: Head says no, heart obviously says yest

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Voted C. Agree with Monk's analysis - with the twist that the movement toward better or worse happens very quickly, as in tomorrow night and the next 5 games after.

Best player: Bjorky. I am not seeing that his recent play has slipped; I am seeing that he's been tossed from linemate to linemate as Torts tries to get others going. That has affected Bjorky's stats.
Best newcomer: Roslovic. Hoping that this trajectory continues upward, but also hoping he gets passed by Laine.
Biggest disappointment: Cam & Jones & Werenski. I know that doesn't answer the question "biggest" accurately, but my goodness, to have all three in big-time funks at the same time has been incredibly bad. And yet above water?
Worst newcomer: Grigerenko. Somewhat improved performance last few games not enough to get him out of this category yet. I am not ready to give up on Domi, but sure wish he (or Torts) would find him consistent linemates.
Will Columbus make playoffs: Yes, by a hair.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't see an option for D but still a chance to make the playoffs.....so I chose D. For the first quarter this was a hard team to watch and very boring hockey. This wasn't a team playing below expections. This was a rudderless ship for the first quarter. Much can improve and I expect it to.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I give us an SS for side show (or other words that begin with S). This club provides so much entertainment (or drama) for the rest of the league, and not for the right reasons.

Best player: Roslovic
Worst player: DuBois
Best newcomer: Roslovic
Biggest disappointment: Seth Jones
Biggest surprise: Robinson
Best trade: Laine for a 3rd
Worst trade: Domi for Anderson
Will Columbus make the playoffs? Yes, barely.

Last edited:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I give us an SS for side show (or other words that begin with S). This club provides so much entertainment (or drama) for the rest of the league, and not for the right reasons.

Best player: Roslovic
Worst player: DuBois
Best newcomer: Roslovic
Biggest disappointment: Seth Jones
Biggest surprise: Robinson
Best trade: Laine for a 3rd
Worst trade: Domi for Anderson
Will Columbus make the playoffs? Yes, barely.

LS,

who you got out of the playoffs if you think CBJ gets in?

Tampa--Dallas--Carolina, or Florida?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad