Poll: Drouin's Performance at Center next Season

If Drouin plays center next season, Will he..

• Total voters

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’m expecting some improvement next season.

I would put him with Domi and either Scherbak/Armia on our second line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting to see that the majority think Drouin will improve and show some potential at center this year. If he plays center which is likely. I'm surprised, I would of thought most would of picked Stays the same or gets worse.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interesting to see that the majority think Drouin will improve and show some potential at center this year. If he plays center which is likely. I'm surprised, I would of thought most would of picked Stays the same or gets worse.
As of right now, you are talking about a difference of 1 vote, so plenty of folks not much will change.
I will say this, outperforming himself shouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As of right now, you are talking about a difference of 1 vote, so plenty of folks not much will change.
I will say this, outperforming himself shouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish.

I'm still surprised that most think he will improve and show promise. It's not just outperforming, it's improving and showing promise. What did you vote?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Why would he get worse? You think he will start to regress at 23 years old?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm still surprised that most think he will improve and show promise. It's not just outperforming, it's improving and showing promise. What did you vote?
He's been showing promise his entire career, isn't that why he was drafted 3rd ov and we traded for him? I think he'll be about the same as he performed exactly as I thought he would.

Reactions: Peanut

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's been showing promise his entire career, isn't that why he was drafted 3rd ov and we traded for him? I think he'll be about the same as he performed exactly as I thought he would.

Were talking about Drouin playing center for the Habs for the 2nd year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Were talking about Drouin playing center for the Habs for the 2nd year.

You're starting to be all over the place...

In one thread you said you don't think our youngsters will have any serious impact till they're 22 but in this thread, you're surprised people think Drouin could potentially improve at 23?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're starting to be all over the place...

In one thread you said you don't think our youngsters will have any serious impact till they're 22 but in this thread, you're surprised people think Drouin could potentially improve at 23?

Drouin is playing center for the first time and next year will be his 2nd season. Circumstance matters. I also said maturity is different with each player but you seemed to ignore that. Stop cherry picking.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Drouin is playing center for the first time and next year will be his 2nd season. Circumstance matters. I also said maturity is different with each player but you seemed to ignore that. Stop cherry picking.
Drouin already played center in his career, this is not the first time he plays center in his life...

I'm not cherry picking anything, just trying to understand your logic...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin already played center in his career, this is not the first time he plays center in his life...

I'm not cherry picking anything, just trying to understand your logic...

Not in the NHL where I am talking about maturity after a player makes the NHL. But there was this one time Drouin played center with Tampa right?

You are cherry picking with your debate angle. That's why you don't understand my logic. You put the age 22 as a definite maturity age where I clearly said all players are different in the Kotkaniemi vs Galchenyuk post in another thread.

Kotkaniemi will make the NHL as a center, not as a winger like Galchenyuk. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I think there is also a real possibility Kotkaniemi only makes the NHL as a 20 year old (after the next two NHL seasons). He might show promise like Galchenyuk at that point but not expecting him to make an impact and compete against the top centers in the game until he turns 22 ish. Could be 21 or 23. Understand?

As far as Drouin, he is playing on a new team in a new full time position. I expect him to be better next year but we are using him as our #1C where he is not going to be sheltered. His match-ups are going to be tough (especially on the road), and I think he needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger if he wants to be the center he thinks he can be and the one you and I want him to be

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There's no reason to think he wouldn't be better with a year in Montreal at Center under his belt. If he put up 60+ points for us at center while not being a blackhole defensively I think everyone would be pleased.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's no reason to think he wouldn't be better with a year in Montreal at Center under his belt. If he put up 60+ points for us at center while not being a blackhole defensively I think everyone would be pleased.

I think he won't be sheltered. Match-ups against other proven centers (especially on the road) will the tough for Drouin. PP time is where his value is at IMO. I just wonder who the best line mates are for him on our roster as well.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Not...going...to... happen...

And if hitting 60+ points while not being a complete blackhole defensively is the bar you're going to set, after all the crapping you did on Galchenyuk you really think he couldn't reach that with a full year at center?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think he won't be sheltered. Match-ups against other proven centers (especially on the road) will the tough for Drouin. PP time is where his value is at IMO. I just wonder who the best line mates are for him on our roster as well.
I think he needs to play with high energy/effort guys, and I think Domi and Gallagher are perfect. I think Pleks and Danault can take on the “tougher” matchups for the most part too. I expect a productive year from Drouin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not...going...to... happen...

And if hitting 60+ points while not being a complete blackhole defensively is the bar you're going to set, after all the crapping you did on Galchenyuk you really think he couldn't reach that with a full year at center?

What bar are you setting on Drouin?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he needs to play with high energy/effort guys, and I think Domi and Gallagher are perfect. I think Pleks and Danault can take on the “tougher” matchups for the most part too. I expect a productive year from Drouin.

The problem is there are many teams who have solid 2 or 3 lines. I am hoping for Drouin to just improve and show maturity. Similar to how Galchenyuk played last year. I saw a lot of maturity in his game as the season went along. I was annoyed that Bergevin gave up on him at this stage.

Improving and showing potential for me is not all about points. It's how he competes and makes smart plays. The rest of his game (skill and skating) is there and not worried about that part.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Like I said previously.. our PP needs to be pretty damn good so Drouin can hit 60 pts + because his game 5 on 5 is subpar. He will also need Gallagher on his RW for the whole year.. and Domi to score more than 9 goals a year.

And to be honest.. even if Domi hits 50, Drouin 60 and Gallagher 50 as a first line... That's nothing to write home about. Even the worst team in the league has more productive 1st line.

Bottom line... Drouin shouldn't play center. He should play wing. He should be a 70pts player. Nothing less.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Not in the NHL where I am talking about maturity after a player makes the NHL. But there was this one time Drouin played center with Tampa right?

He did play some games at center for Tampa...

You are cherry picking with your debate angle. That's why you don't understand my logic. You put the age 22 as a definite maturity age where I clearly said all players are different in the Kotkaniemi and Poehling post in another thread.

There's no debate angle here... I don't understand how do you evaluate this maturity you keep talking about? Is it mental maturity? Physical maturity?

Did you see Poehling in that development camp? That kid looks like he's 25 years old physically, I'm sure he could've made the team this year and would've been just fine in term of maturity if that's what you're talking about.

Kotkaniemi will make the NHL as a center, not as a winger like Galchenyuk. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I think there is also a real possibility Kotkaniemi only makes the NHL as a 20 years old (after the next two NHL seasons). He might show promise like Galchenyuk at that point but not expecting him to make an impact and compete against the top centers in the game until he turns 22 ish. Could be 21 or 23. Understand?

This whole wing center thing got way too much attention IMO because you can evolve as a player on the wing also... Kotka was playing wing last season and it didn't impede this organization to draft him as a potential center...

It's normal practice to use youngsters on the wing even if you project them to become centers, the problem with Chucky is that he never evolved...

As far as Drouin, he is playing on a new team in a new full time position. I expect him to be better next year but we are using him as our #1C where he is not going to be sheltered. His match-ups are going to be tough (especially on the road), and I think he needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger if he wants to be the center he thinks he can be and the one you and I want him to be

Bulk up? I actually don't find him that soft, to be honest, he's quite strong on his skates, I don't think he needs to bulk up as he will probably lose speed... But hey, if he can bulk up and keep his speed then go for it.

Where did I say I think he would get worse? Not my opinion and not sure what your problem with misunderstanding is today

I mean, you were surprised people thought he will get better this logically implies you thought he will get worse no?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, you were surprised people thought he will get better this logically implies you thought he will get worse no?

No. It means I thought the majority of others though he would stay the same or get worse based on various conversations and comments I have seen. Not what I think. I think he will improve and show some potential. Not necessarily with point totals but more with making smarter plays and showing maturity.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No. It means I thought the majority of others though he would stay the same or get worse based on various conversations and comments I have seen. Not what I think. I think he will improve and show some potential. Not necessarily with point totals but more with making smarter plays and showing maturity.
Good! There's some hope on this board after all as you can see. :thumbu:

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why would he get worse? You think he will start to regress at 23 years old?

because being lazy has no ceiling ?

my guess is that he WILL get worse because there is no accountability, he can suck as bad ( or worse) than last year and he will STILL be our 1C.

Lack of the appropriate skills for a center and lack of consequences for being dowright awful is a combination that trends towards " worse than last year".

Jonathan Drouin. Not a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad