Poll: Drouin's Performance at Center next Season

If Drouin plays center next season, Will he..

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Should we try Price out at center too? Obviously, I’m exaggerating bringing up Price to ridiculous length but Drouin had shown a decimal of what it takes to play the position as well before last season so it’s still a legitimate argument.

Agreed but I rather continue to allow Drouin to play center in another tank year. He can get better but not an ideal center. Face offs and strength in tight areas are the issues IMO. Skating, skill, and vision is there. He can get better but if he doesn't, we move him to wing once Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready. No harm in trying and allowing him to mature in the role in the time being.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
At one time I was really high on this kid. I had him as a preseason ROY winner and thought he was going to be an absolute star.
Then he made the NHL and it was underwhelming. In the subsequent seasons, I really haven't seen it get much better.

I think this season will look about the same as last. Will he put up more points? Maybe, maybe not. But this, to me, has a Rinse/Repeat feel to it.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Drouin is not a center ...plain and simple.

Why ?

Drouin is all about explosion. Drouin does everything at 100 mp/h.....his speed, his speed, his release , dis puck distribution etc..

When he was on the wing in Halifax or Tampa...he did a lot of damage because he needed only 2 or 3 seconds to from his blue line to the goal...he surprised defensemen with his unbelievable hands and his explosion.

The problem for him at center is that he needs to help his defensemen behind the goal line and he is always behind the play sur la contre attaque..

At center..he can't use is strengh as often than on the wing.

Lafleur and Richer had a good vision as well but their game was all about explosion, shots and montée à l'emporte pièce.

Drouin is like that....not a 50 goal scorer obviously but you guys can see what I mean.

Interesting take. I think you can be explosive and do the things Drouin does with the puck and still be a good center.

Gomez played a lot like how you describe Drouin and was pretty effective as a center in his prime. But he also made smart decisions on the ice, did not give up on plays when he did not have the puck, played aggressive and paid attention to details.

You have extra responsibilities as a center and you need to do those things at an adequate level to fulfil the role. Especially if your point production is not world class. Not sure Drouin has it in him, and if he doesn't he should be put on the wing.

And to answer the op question, if he's as committed as he pretends he'll surely improve, but he may still not be good enough at the center position on a winning team.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The team is probably going to be worse and that'll hurt his #s so I voted produce the same, though I do think he'll be somewhat better then last year. Even last year I felt he showed some potential, this year he has to do more then show potential, he has to start realizing some of it.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Drouin is not a center ...plain and simple.

Why ?

Drouin is all about explosion. Drouin does everything at 100 mp/h.....his speed, his speed, his release , dis puck distribution etc..

When he was on the wing in Halifax or Tampa...he did a lot of damage because he needed only 2 or 3 seconds to from his blue line to the goal...he surprised defensemen with his unbelievable hands and his explosion.

The problem for him at center is that he needs to help his defensemen behind the goal line and he is always behind the play sur la contre attaque..

At center..he can't use is strengh as often than on the wing.

Lafleur and Richer had a good vision as well but their game was all about explosion, shots and montée à l'emporte pièce.

Drouin is like that....not a 50 goal scorer obviously but you guys can see what I mean.

Being fast is always a plus no matter the position, and if anything I'd rather the center be the fastest guy out there because he has more ice to cover. Just like a fast defenceman can pinch and use his speed to recover, a fast center means he can support the defence and still join the rush.

I'm not saying Drouin is a good center, but it's dumb to say speedy players are better off at wing. And if you don't believe me, then just ask yourself whether the same argument about being explosive players applies to McDavid and Crosby? Is anyone going to claim they would be better on the wing where they could use their speed more effectively?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It's hard to do worse really.

If worse is -10 points, same +- 5 points and better is +10 points, then it's likely the same from him. It's more or less the same roster than last year (with injuries)

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He will only do better if our PP is good which I doubt. Still need a lot to prove at 5 on 5.

Defense is terrible. Transition game will be terrible.

He wont have much talent on the wings either.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Do people still consider him a playmaker? Lol

Well, technically, he is, but a playmaking winger.

He's been asked to play a role he isn't suited for, and even if he got better til the end of last season, he's still not suited for the center position.

When your instincts are on the wing, you may have all the vision and passing skills in the world, your instincts are still on the wing.

But dumb-dumb didn't seem to do that 1+1=2 equation when he thought that trading our only blue-chip prospect for a winger who may play center was a good idea.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Above all else the guy needs to step up his effort level, at 23 its already hard to change the habits hes grown with, and clearly having become set for life financially didnt improve that aspect of his personnality.

I dont expect much progress, especially not at center, and playing for such a bad team wont help either.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
He'll improve and show potential in the first 20-25 games, scoring at a near ppg pace

Then he'll be put on the wing to allow Plekanec to play on the top line

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
At a ratio of 50:1 I was the first one to vote that Drouin would have a worse season than last year. If this injury rumor happens to be true then Bryson wins again! :banana:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Why is drouin still playing center ?

Role...

Danault
Domi
Shaw
Plekanec
Peca

Before drouin