Poll: Drouin's Performance at Center next Season

If Drouin plays center next season, Will he..

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know Drouin at center is not popular but we don't have talented skilled centers at the moment. So it appears Drouin will play center again (like it or not). So it would be interesting to see a poll and what people think he will do.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
He played better the last 20-25 games last year. Does that mean he got comfortable at center or just more relaxed because the season was over?
I think that's the real question.
I personally think he will be better because hes got a year at center behind him and knows what to expect.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's possible that the lack of defensemen who can carry the puck drags him down but I really don't see Drouin making it as a center. Sergachev might have given the other centers some support while also providing the cap space to bring back Radulov and Markov. Adding Drouin would have been a bad move even if they had traded less for him. He provides another small fast forward to go with all the other ones the habs already have. He may be a slight improvement over some other wingers but not enough for the money he's paid. He's unlikely to have a long career as he is small and his game is based on speed. Sergachev will probably be playing solid hockey long after Drouin retires, is likely to outscore him over his career, and will certainly help his team outscore others more effectively.

A small forward who scores on the power play and neglects defense is a net negative. NOTE: this does not describe Byron or Gallagher, though it could apply to Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He looked awful when he had guys like Pacioretty or Galchenyuk on his line because there wasn't anyone to do the dirty work and retrieve the puck. Given the low expectations for this season, there won't be a ton of pressure and I can see him improving.. I'd like to see him back with Gallagher and a guy like Hudon get more of a chance offensively. I can see him getting around 55-60 points this year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Last year Drouin was basically given a pass. What with MB's job on the line and this being Drouin's second season at the center spot, I think there will be no get-out-of-jail-cards handed out and that means Drouin's sense of entitlement will take a hit. I'm wondering what sort of fireworks between him and the coaching/management staff we'll see.

Then again he could prove me wrong but I doubt it. Drouin is not a center.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think he will do better.

While I voted he'll do the same, I do agree he'll do better. The reason why I didn't choose the 3rd option though is I think he'll do better statistically but I don't think he'll show much more potential (like he is suddenly going to show signs of being a Bergeron or Kopitar).

Reactions: DavePeak

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He played better the last 20-25 games last year. Does that mean he got comfortable at center or just more relaxed because the season was over?
I think that's the real question.
I personally think he will be better because hes got a year at center behind him and knows what to expect.
Well, he can relax from Game #1 this season because nothing he does is going to matter anyway.

Reactions: Garnet76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While I voted he'll do the same, I do agree he'll do better. The reason why I didn't choose the 3rd option though is I think he'll do better statistically but I don't think he'll show much more potential (like he is suddenly going to show signs of being a Bergeron or Kopitar).

Fair point. I think Drouin stands to put up better production numbers but what about face offs and making smarter plays when there is less time and space? Time will tell.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not strong enough for that

That's my concern as well. But does the same concern apply with Drouin at wing in a way? At center or on wing, Drouin needs to get stronger regardless if he wants to be a star in this league. Skating and skill is important but strength is also important.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How does Drouin developing as a better center don't matter? Were talking about a players evaluation here, not a team evaluation
Someone opined that his play seemed to improve when the season was lost and he was able to relax because there was no more pressure to win games. We all know in advance that this is going to be a lost season so he should be relaxed from the get-go.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Meh... I don't care where they play him or how well he play the said position [next year]. I just hope they won't tolerate all the floating around like they did last year, he's not a center as far as I am concerned so don't punish him if he make bad plays but pull the plug if he float.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I voted the 3rd one even though while I think he will improve, I dont know if he will show enough to say he has the potential to be a C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Someone opined that his play seemed to improve when the season was lost and he was able to relax because there was no more pressure to win games. We all know in advance that this is going to be a lost season so he should be relaxed from the get-go.

Well, Drouin's development at center does matter IMO. If he improves and turns into a top 2 center, it's a big deal for our team. If he doesn't, we move him to wing but saying it don't matter is weird. How our team does next season vs how Drouin does is two different things.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I mean, he can't be that much worse right? I think it'll be like it was last year: flashes of good stuff but mostly negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->