TSN Radio: Poll: Do you prefer Munz or Edmonds?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Big edmunds fan. He's actually doing play by play. The other announcers drive me nuts as they tend to forget we're listening on radio, and prattle on about random crap.

Really like edmunds. He's intense and has a pretty unique voice. I'd like to see him get this as his regular thing.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I love listening to Edmonds doing Goldeyes games.

Then when I heard he was filling in for Munz, I listened to most a period, and thought... man I like this as much or more than his baseball games.

Not that I hate Munz and his work, I just like Edmonds more.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Big edmunds fan. He's actually doing play by play. The other announcers drive me nuts as they tend to forget we're listening on radio, and prattle on about random crap.

Really like edmunds. He's intense and has a pretty unique voice. I'd like to see him get this as his regular thing.

I agree in a big way. I have no clue what is happening when Munz calls a game. Edmonds was a refreshing change. Far more enthusiasm too.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Edmonds all the way.

It's no contest, really. In every metric I could possibly think to measure, personality, quality of voice, description of play, ability to translate excitement, (ability to INVENT excitement in the case of the Flyers game :P), Edmonds has Munz beat.

Munz's hockey knowledge would make him a decent colour commentator, however.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005

Agreed.
Wish Edmonds could be the full-time radio guy.

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
As the Goldeyes PBP guy, and with them leaving 1290 for 100.7 FM this summer, he might not be available to TSN after this season, unless something is worked out between the two stations.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
As the Goldeyes PBP guy, and with them leaving 1290 for 100.7 FM this summer, he might not be available to TSN after this season, unless something is worked out between the two stations.

I hadn't heard about that. Probably the best, as 1290 will be covering Jays games this year :handclap:

Munz has definitely toned down his excitement levels from back when he covered the Moose. I almost feel like word was sent down from the top that he needed to "calm down" a little in his goal calls, because "mundane" was NOT the way to describe him back in the AHL days. His goal call of Jason Jaffray's go-ahead marker in their Calder Cup series against Hershey will go down as one of the greatest goal calls in Winnipeg hockey history, imo.

Fast forward to 3:15 of this video and try to tell me that he doesn't transmit excitement in his voice. We were in attendance at that game and Munz actually fell out of the booth onto centre ice, sustaining severe internal trauma. Not only that, but he hustled back up to the booth to call the equally epic empty netter by Jaffray to complete his hattrick and seal the win.

Edit: Actually, all the haters should listen to the game from start to finish and see what Munz CAN bring to the table for excitement in a big time game. Imagine this guy calling a playoff series!

Last edited by a moderator:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
And for what it's worth, I love Paul Edmonds. Even went and sat a game in the booth with him and his stats guy for a game against Fargo, just to see what it was like. He loves the team and the game as much as anyone, and his on-air personality is a fraction of how pumped he gets during the commercial breaks.

We have this weird epidemic in Winnipeg where we feel like our sportscasters have to be fair and 100% unbiased and you're starting to see it in Brian Munz' performance. Kelly Moore was as prepared and accurate in his game calling as anyone, but was so unbiased that you could barely tell who was scoring (Jets, Moose or their opponents). While I appreciate some aspect of that, we all need to remember it's a GAME and they are providing an ENTERTAINMENT service....not reading us the news.

Has anyone listened to a Bomber game on the radio lately? Between Bob Irving and whoever he has with him in the booth at the moment, it would seem like the opposing team has brought their own PBP team with them to broadcast to Winnipeg. There is such an impetus on "Fair" and "Balanced" that we are starting to see the Rod Black effect come into effect, where our PBP guys will comment excessively on the other team's ability so as to not seem like the homers they SHOULD BE.

Granted, I'll take Munz, Edmonds, Irving or even Dancin' Gabe over this guy

jetkarma*

I have been saying this for a while , BM imo just isn't anywhere near NHL level , either for descriptive play by play as mentioned nor for emotion.

Really like Hnidy as the colour guy and with Edmonds , they make a very listenable , informative and entertaining pair.

Wally Pipp'ed hopefully.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Edit: Actually, all the haters should listen to the game from start to finish and see what Munz CAN bring to the table for excitement in a big time game. Imagine this guy calling a playoff series!

Let's assume that big games and playoffs will amplify a commentator's emotions and excitement.

I then invite you to imagine Paul Edmonds calling a big playoff game.

And I imagine that would put Munz to shame.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Edmonds is hands down leagues ahead of Munz in the p-by-p department.
Despit that FACT, BM isn't going anywhere.

Munz is the play by play guy simply because TNSE likes to reward others who had worked for them during the Moose days. They seem hellbent on that. Its like they didn't even consider anyone else in a variety of roles and just 'promoted' former Moose staff people to the NHL level when the organization went there. You could even throw Noel on that list as well (Moose coach from 2010-2011).

Even anthem singer Stacey Nattress - who started singing for the Moose upon their inception in '96.

And for those who didn't stay in Winnipeg after Jets 1.0 left were black-listed. Curt Kileback for instance wasn't even having his calls returned when he was trying to get in touch with either TNSE or 1290 for the play by play job in the summer of 2011.

jetkarma*

Munz is the play by play guy simply because TNSE likes to reward others who had worked for them during the Moose days. They seem hellbent on that. Its like they didn't even consider anyone else in a variety of roles and just 'promoted' former Moose staff people to the NHL level when the organization went there. You could even throw Noel on that list as well (Moose coach from 2010-2011).

Even anthem singer Stacey Nattress - who started singing for the Moose upon their inception in '96.

And for those who didn't stay in Winnipeg after Jets 1.0 left were black-listed. Curt Kileback for instance wasn't even having his calls returned when he was trying to get in touch with either TNSE or 1290 for the play by play job in the summer of 2011.

That certainly is a part of it to be sure.

They did bring Beyak in though and didn't automatically insert BM into the more prominent role.

Kind of sense the talking heads on 1290 feel they can't or shouldn't say too much in regards to praising Edmonds , but also get the feeling they also notice the improvement.

Like Edmonds much better as the p by p then the colour guy and personally I really like Hnidy as the colour guy . Balanced , insightful , and close enough to to the game and players to have information that others don't.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Let's assume that big games and playoffs will amplify a commentator's emotions and excitement.

I then invite you to imagine Paul Edmonds calling a big playoff game.

And I imagine that would put Munz to shame.

It'd be somewhere in this range hopefully.

Munzie at his most excited is pretty darn excited though...

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011

We can be thankful

Kent C Tugood

Not Quite Dead Yet
Jan 1, 2012
Doontoon
I've grown up listening to Edmonds and the Goldeyes, hearing him do hockey makes it even better. I can tell when something exciting is actually going on!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Then explain why they hired Dennis Beyak (PBP for the Leafs/Marlies) or Kevin Cheveldayoff (GM of the Chicago Wolves / Asst GM of the Blackhawks).

It's understandable why they would stick with some staff from the Moose days - they were people they knew and trusted. But they didn't do it blindly or exclusively.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad