Poll: BUY OUT Jimmy Or Ericsson Or Neither...

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Moving him is different than buying him out though. A buy out is more of a desperation move, we're not desperate to save a few million and move a guy like Coreau or someone into the NHL.

I agree with that, but keeping him because 'no one is better' isn't a great plan either.

Honestly, like it has been said a few times in this thread, this roster is already filled with bad contracts, I can't think of anything Holland would do after moving the contracts to make it worth the effort.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree with that, but keeping him because 'no one is better' isn't a great plan either.
For the upcoming season we can (probably) afford to keep him around. If he plays alright the coming season, there might be more options than buying him out which would be the least desirable outcome.

It's basically the same thing if we're talking Ericsson, for now we can afford to have him on a 3rd pairing or even as a #6-7 if it comes to that this season. But if/when we need to clear up a few million to spend elsewhere, he needs to go.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Could we have Kronwall, Franzen, and Ericsson all on LTIR at the same time?

Yes and no. Technically they could all be on LTIR at the same time. Practically their combined $13m cap hits is much larger then the 10% offseason cushion, so it would be near impossible to fully replace all of their salaries via the LTIR exception.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ok that makes sense, so basically you can benefit from ~7 mil of LTIR cap hits before the season.

I guess I have another question then, I know that the LTIR cap hit amount isn't the exact cap hit, but what about during the regular season. I remember when Kane was hurt 2 years ago and put on LTIR Chicago was able to trade for Timonen, Vermette, and Desjardins - how is that cap reduction calculated - is it the same way?

team can go 'over' the cap by cap hit that they have on LTIR.

can't remember the exact numbers but if hawks were right at the cap (that could done by calling up/sending down guys if team is within few mil of the cap and iirc hawks were), they could use LTIR on kane. i think he had cap hit of 6.3M at the time. if cap ceiling is 70M and hawks are at 70M, they can go up to 76.3M with kane's cap hit. or 70 with it being removed. the latter fits better as it's more descriptive of what is going on. if they were at 65M, they wouldn't be able to go up to 76.3M; it would be 71.3M for that team.

plus at the deadline players have about 1/4 of their cap hits left as 3/4 of the regular season is done. so player with the cap hit of 4M costs 1M.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
For the upcoming season we can (probably) afford to keep him around. If he plays alright the coming season, there might be more options than buying him out which would be the least desirable outcome.

It's basically the same thing if we're talking Ericsson, for now we can afford to have him on a 3rd pairing or even as a #6-7 if it comes to that this season. But if/when we need to clear up a few million to spend elsewhere, he needs to go.

Yep, all good points. No reason to do anything right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

can't remember the exact numbers but if hawks were right at the cap (that could done by calling up/sending down guys if team is within few mil of the cap and iirc hawks were), they could use LTIR on kane. i think he had cap hit of 6.3M at the time. if cap ceiling is 70M and hawks are at 70M, they can go up to 76.3M with kane's cap hit. or 70 with it being removed. the latter fits better as it's more descriptive of what is going on. if they were at 65M, they wouldn't be able to go up to 76.3M; it would be 71.3M for that team.

plus at the deadline players have about 1/4 of their cap hits left as 3/4 of the regular season is done. so player with the cap hit of 4M costs 1M.

Thank you.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

One importance difference is that the LTIR exception allows teams to replace the player with equivalent cap hit, but it isn't pro-rated like other trade deadline deals.

For example:

- A team is $1m below the salary cap throughout the entire season, at the trade deadline the team can add a player with approximately a $4m contract, since the saved payroll space is pro-rated.

- If that same team was exactly at the salary cap and exercised the LTIR exception on a player with a $1m contract to start the season, then that team can add a player with a $1m contract at the trade deadline. Or add a $1m contract at the start of the season, or midway through the season. Unused LTIR exception space doesn't accumulate and pro-rate as the season progresses like unused payroll room does.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00