Poll 2: If we draft a #1 line forward this year, what becomes our next hole to fill?

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Gota disagree with the poll majority, but this will be the 4th top 10 pick for this team in 5 years, and it's time to start seeing what w have and constructing a real team. If we draft a forward this year, we should be moving our attention to finding a real #1/2 to play with Rielly and looking for some young depth at goal.

This team cannot afford to do what Edmonton did, and just pray that the next draft will address the current needs (especially with goaltending), when in reality the next draft probably couldn't address those needs for 3-5 years anyways.

This doesn't mean you don't draft the BPA at the draft itself, but I'm really hoping this team has enough sense not to just pray for an instant home run through the draft. If our need is young goaltending prospects of right handed D, pay from strengths and sacrifice futures (picks). I wouldn't be affraid to move the 1st pick after this season either if it looks like the core will pan out (Rielly, Marner, Nylander, 2016 1st). I also wouldn't hesitate to pay to move up in this draft with the Pen's pick if they felt they could get that top D prospect.

I'd love to get McCavoy and Chychrun if we pick outside the top 3 and then Hart with our 2nd. It would seriously improve our D prospects. BPA is generally the way to go but as EDM has shown waiting to draft D towards the end of the rebuild definitely extends the length of futility. Then in the next couple drafts we can target more forwards and possibly move some of the less promising prospectson D and W and mid picks to target guys we want in the draft.

The pipe dream would be getting Mathews at 1 and being able to move Loov/Percy/Valiev + mid pick from the deadline+ pens pick for a pick around 8-12 to take one of the top 3 D.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Getting a young, potential top pair defenceman to compliment Gardiner/Rielly (who's at least a top 4 guy currently) is the team's #1 priority, regardless of who they draft.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If we draft 4/5 as you suggest, I think the most likely player we draft is Chychrun actually so I don't really agree with your comment that we don't pick him. Anyways, assuming we pick Tkachuk or Nylander (most likely players at 4/5 besides Chychrun), I think we would still want to be hunting for that elite #1C that we hope Nylander becomes.

So #1C should be the top priority followed by #1/2 Dman (I think Rielly will become a #1D so we could settle for a #2Dman). After that, we would need a #1G. Then you fill the pieces in as the rest of our prospects start to fill the other gaps (Marner -> 1RW, Nylander -> 1/2C, Nylander/Tkachuk -> 1/2W, Zaitzev/Percy/Dermott -> 3/4Dman, etc.)

Basically, if we don't draft Matthews or one of the top Dmen I think we have to assume that we still need a #1C, top pairing Dman, and #1G in that order.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
If we draft 4/5 as you suggest, I think the most likely player we draft is Chychrun actually so I don't really agree with your comment that we don't pick him. Anyways, assuming we pick Tkachuk or Nylander (most likely players at 4/5 besides Chychrun), I think we would still want to be hunting for that elite #1C that we hope Nylander becomes.

So #1C should be the top priority followed by #1/2 Dman (I think Rielly will become a #1D so we could settle for a #2Dman). After that, we would need a #1G. Then you fill the pieces in as the rest of our prospects start to fill the other gaps (Marner -> 1RW, Nylander -> 1/2C, Nylander/Tkachuk -> 1/2W, Zaitzev/Percy/Dermott -> 3/4Dman, etc.)

Basically, if we don't draft Matthews or one of the top Dmen I think we have to assume that we still need a #1C, top pairing Dman, and #1G in that order.

Hey, I wasn't actually suggesting that we pick 4 or worse, I do believe the hockey gods will be in our favour and we'll get 1-3. As well, 4 is about the only place we get him. If we slip to 5th I think Chychrun will be gone at 4 and we get Nylander/Tkachuk unless we trade down, which I don't see happening. In the total sense, I see a very high chance of a forward being drafted.

As well, #1C would be sick, especially if playing alongside Marner and Nylander who can both also play C and W. Talk about the most versatile, high skilled line in the league.

Would match that of Mackinnon/Duche/Landeskog or Pavelski/Marleau/Thornton

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Hey, I wasn't actually suggesting that we pick 4 or worse, I do believe the hockey gods will be in our favour and we'll get 1-3. As well, 4 is about the only place we get him. If we slip to 5th I think Chychrun will be gone at 4 and we get Nylander/Tkachuk unless we trade down, which I don't see happening. In the total sense, I see a very high chance of a forward being drafted.

As well, #1C would be sick, especially if playing alongside Marner and Nylander who can both also play C and W. Talk about the most versatile, high skilled line in the league.

Would match that of Mackinnon/Duche/Landeskog or Pavelski/Marleau/Thornton

My apologies, I read it as "assume we don't pick Chychrun with pick (we have) #4/5". Anyways, I believe that there's a tremendous difference in what we need to then acquire if we get Matthews vs. Laine/Puljujarvi. While I'd be happy with one of the Finns, it just adds to an area of strength and denies us the ability to shore up our weak spots.

We take whoever we determine BPA is. However our needs (in order) are a #1C, a second top pairing Dman, and a #1 Goalie. So I don't think it's actually possible to answer your question without first knowing if we are acquiring Mathews (a Center) or one of the top 5 wingers.

A bit off-topic, but I personally don't think Nylander and Marner will play on the same line very often (if at all). I also believe Nylander will be the center on his line when he gets to the NHL and if we ended up drafting Matthews (or acquired a different #1C in the future) that could end up forcing Kadri out of a Leaf jersey while Nylander takes his place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad