Polish hockey

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Dear friends,

After picking up the hockey during the 2014-2015 Play offs I did follow both Belgium and Poland during their WC's. Being based in Belgium I tend to follow the Leuven Chiefs, my hometown. But having a Polish GF I did want to have a look at the regional hockey teams. We go at least once a year to the South of Poland where you have Katowice, Sosnowiec and Krakau. Unfortunately, the periods were visiting this region, are after the season and everything hockey related is closed.

Now, we recently, visited the Baltic region where I did find a hockey store but they ran out of Tees and jersey's in my size. Luckily for me, we are planning to visit this region more often so with a bit of luck we might get to go to a local game of GSK Stoczniowiec Gdańsk, Gdynia or even Sopot.

After having had a little chat with the shop owner he would put aside both a jersey and Tee when the new season starts :handclap:

Now, as I don't know that much about hockey in Poland. I only saw a couple of games of Sanok online, I would like to know where I could find the most recent info on teams ( elite prospects or Euro hockey....), players etc... as well as fan merchandise.

Also, when visiting the Baltic region, which would be the better hockey experience. Better venue ....

Many thanks for your input.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Dear friends,

After picking up the hockey during the 2014-2015 Play offs I did follow both Belgium and Poland during their WC's. Being based in Belgium I tend to follow the Leuven Chiefs, my hometown. But having a Polish GF I did want to have a look at the regional hockey teams. We go at least once a year to the South of Poland where you have Katowice, Sosnowiec and Krakau. Unfortunately, the periods were visiting this region, are after the season and everything hockey related is closed.

Now, we recently, visited the Baltic region where I did find a hockey store but they ran out of Tees and jersey's in my size. Luckily for me, we are planning to visit this region more often so with a bit of luck we might get to go to a local game of GSK Stoczniowiec Gdańsk, Gdynia or even Sopot.

After having had a little chat with the shop owner he would put aside both a jersey and Tee when the new season starts :handclap:

Now, as I don't know that much about hockey in Poland. I only saw a couple of games of Sanok online, I would like to know where I could find the most recent info on teams ( elite prospects or Euro hockey....), players etc... as well as fan merchandise.

Also, when visiting the Baltic region, which would be the better hockey experience. Better venue ....

Many thanks for your input.
I don't know much about hockey in Poland, but talking about the region, you may like to see KHL games in Riga and Minsk, the venues with the biggest and loudest khl's crowds. By the way no visa required when arriving to Minsk by air for up to 5 days.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Cheers buddy,

I didn't even think about that yet. It's indeed close by and Riga is a team I don't mind seeing playing.
On the other hand, there are plans to go to Vienna, make the trip by train to see Slovan and maybe even take a low cost carrier and head to Helsinki to support Jokerit as they do offer tickets relatively cheap.

When talking about ice-hockey in Poland I would like to attempt some local games as it will function as an intangible for me when traveling to the region.

But thanks for the great tip!

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
In addition, I have read some rumors about Gdanks possible joining the KHL ranks, any truth in this ?

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
By the way, for the last few months there have been some popular idea in Belarus about cooperating with Poland, Latvia and Ukraine and founding a united league, modelled on early-2000's WEHL.
Is there any chance that the idea was noticed and discussed in Poland? I'd appreciate any information on that.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Well, while visiting Gdansk I was not informed about this matter.
however I did find a Polish member on this board.
I was planning of sending him a Pm later today.
So will keep you posted.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Considering how good Czech hockey is I have always been surprised that Poland, atleast in the south, hasn't had better hockey teams. I have family in Poland and it is a 2 hour drive to Prague.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No resources, no development. With the same resources as in Czechia the situation would surely look much better in Poland too, but as things are there's no hope of anything better.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
I just flew back from Poland where I met some players from Gdansk and Jastrzębie-Zdrój. As in other countries funding is always an issue but I do think that the coming generations will improve. It would be nice to have a competition with other surrounding countries, like we have the BeNe League in Belgium and Netherlands to help improve the level of hockey

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One can always remain optimistic, but realistically the only way that Polish clubs could compete with the best in Slovakia is if the quality of Slovak hockey collapses. I mean, Sanok was a top team in Poland and in Slovakia they only have a 3rd league existence. For development without financial resources there would have to be capable people, but instead there's a disaster after another.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
I did follow Sanok for a while, they had some great import players or as I see it better import players then the other teams. Making it easier for them to play their game, put pressure and get in a winning strike. If then you decide to put a fairly decent team in a league which puts strong focus on grass roots development and has a rech history of providing good players then you might find yourself in difficulties. When I look at the Belgian league and recently the BeNeLeague I see similarities. Before the combined league of Belgian and Dutch teams was created Leuven was a powerhouse in the domestic league. Building from a strong youth and including the max of 5 good import players they were a top team in Belgium. Now in the BeNe League where there are only 2 imports are allowed and where budgets have been cut, we need to fight till the last game to get into the play offs. Facing teams with bigger budgets and better youth working

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad