Poland: Polish hockey league schedule?

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Anyone know if the schedule for the Polska Liga (or the 2nd league) is out yet? And if so, where to view it? I've tried http://www.hokej.net/, but it doesn't seem to update much and it's tough to navigate in English. I'm going to be in Gdansk and then Krakow in early November, so I was hoping I might attend a game while there.

Thanks in advance.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Anyone know if the schedule for the Polska Liga (or the 2nd league) is out yet? And if so, where to view it? I've tried http://www.hokej.net/, but it doesn't seem to update much and it's tough to navigate in English. I'm going to be in Gdansk and then Krakow in early November, so I was hoping I might attend a game while there.

Thanks in advance.

http://hokej.net/pl/phl/newsy/99/news,artykul,5,36913,wstepny-terminarz-phl-20152016.html

enjoy

but you'll be disappointed, trust me

I'm still watching this crap, though

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I will be in Krakow on Nov. 7-10, so no games. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a minor league there or in Gdansk.

Hopefully, there are places to buy polish league jerseys and souvenirs in Krakow?

hockeyMB89

May 26, 2015
Krakow
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I will be in Krakow on Nov. 7-10, so no games. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a minor league there or in Gdansk.

Hopefully, there are places to buy polish league jerseys and souvenirs in Krakow?

Siedleckiego 7
http://powerplay.krakow.pl/

btw. Cracovia !
PLAKAT-DOUBLE_copy.jpg

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I will be heading to Kraków in a week or so and noticed the season is going on. How much is a ticket for a home game and how much is a jersey?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I will be heading to Kraków in a week or so and noticed the season is going on. How much is a ticket for a home game and how much is a jersey?
Tickets were under €10, jerseys were like €50, but you have to get them at the team shop at the football stadium.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
it's not thread worthy so small necro bump: Eliezer Sherbatov signs with my local team Unia Oswiecim. remember him from 17/18 season in KHL with Slovan and despite stats didn't work in his favor, i really liked his game. Hit couple of posts, was all over the ice, a real speedster with awesome technique. Even Slovan fans were really angry that he didn't get enough chances to show his skill. Best player in Kazakhstan Hockey League last year. I haven't been to my team's game in the last 4 or 5 years (only in TV despite the fact that i live very close to the ice rink, like 10 minutes) so i think it's a good time to finally attend

Reactions: mattihp

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Any Polish prospects worth watching? I'm living in Wroclaw but I can certainly go to the Katowice region...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If someone's worth watching they're not playing in Poland. Just go for some hockey without expectations.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in this part of HF Boards but was hoping someone might have information about the Poland league. On Elite Prospects the map shows eleven team logos but there are only nine teams listed in the standings.

Also, with the exception of Gdansk the teams appear to be clustered near Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Are there hockey clubs in Warsaw?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in this part of HF Boards but was hoping someone might have information about the Poland league. On Elite Prospects the map shows eleven team logos but there are only nine teams listed in the standings.

Also, with the exception of Gdansk the teams appear to be clustered near Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Are there hockey clubs in Warsaw?

Gdańsk is not taking part due to financial problems, therefore there are only nine teams. In Warsaw there are some clubs as well, but rather just recreational and junior hockey.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Poland doesn't offer a lot of governmental funding for winter sports - like a lot of countries globally - and the sports that do get funding are ones either popular or success (which tend to go hand in hand). So, for example, ski jumping is very successful in Polska and because they've gotten many Olympic medals that increases popularity and thus more funding overall. Volleyball is another sport which is very popular in the country and that's due to their international success (last time I chequed they were ranked 2nd overall in the world). But even then that sport is so far behind football (which is by far the most popular) and the international club isn't really that good on the international spectrum.

A lot of the clubs on the borders of Slovakia and Czechia are due to the fact for two reasons; one, those regions are right next to hockey craze nations and two, that is the mountainous (and coldest) region of Poland such as Zakopane and Sanok which actually speak a different form of Polish. Hockey popularity is growing and Mariusz Czerkawski has done a lot in terms of growing the sport. I actually think the hockey isn't too bad if you consider how insanely disorganised it is. When I mean disorganised, I am talking about how ridiculously regionalised it is like it is in Italia. No country will have any success if it is only played in like 20% of the entire country. And as I mentioned before, it might be like 8th or 9th most popular sport and there are huge gaps between the top 7 to eventually get to 8th. You have the likes of football, volleyball, ski jumping, tennis, handball, motor racing, basketball, boxing/MMA, and body-building.

One of the reasons why it is behind others is that there is still what I consider a "hidden" hatred for the Soviet Union and they saw hockey as one of "their sports". Stalin did a lot of bad things to Poland after the Nazis fled and when he came in to conquer the country, the Polish identity was crushed under communism. The only thing that kept the culture and tradition alive was the Catholic church and why majority of the country is still heavily Catholic. Those traumatic stories - like when my grandma told me - about how they had to hide in the wheat fields from the Soviet soldiers because they were raping the Polish women have been past down through the generations as that it's very Polish to do so. I would also theorise that those stories are one of the reason why the dislike for Russia has continued to persist. Plus Putin's actions aren't necessarily helping the cause and having your President's plane crash in Russian territory when he was going to honour Polish officers who Stalin killed just boils it even more. I still have a lot of family members and I am pretty sure there is at least one in every Polish family that actually despises Russia with their soul. I know some of my family members wouldn't watch the Sochi Olympics because it took place on Russian soil. These sociological reasons is another reason why hockey never was ever successful here compared to other ex-Soviet Union countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
One of the reasons why it is behind others is that there is still what I consider a "hidden" hatred for the Soviet Union and they saw hockey as one of "their sports".

This should be used as a motivation for developing hockey in Poland. Beat them at "their" own game.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Nowadays I'd argue it's developed more of an immigrant vibe, a lot of guys playing hockey are originally from Eastern Europe whereas it's too expensive and not convenient or cool enough for local kids to start playing anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad