News Article: Police investigating alleged rape at PPG Paints Arena during Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Very odd...in the article it says that this happened in between periods but I wonder if that's correct. At intermissions the bathroom is packed, I don't see how it would be possible for this to happen with nobody noticing. During the periods is a different story. If I need to go during a game I usually go during a tv time out and while it's never completely deserted in there it comes pretty close sometimes.

As a woman who goes to 30+ games a year I would like a lot more detail. I've never felt unsafe at a game and I hope that wasn't naive on my part.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Very odd...in the article it says that this happened in between periods but I wonder if that's correct. At intermissions the bathroom is packed, I don't see how it would be possible for this to happen with nobody noticing. During the periods is a different story. If I need to go during a game I usually go during a tv time out and while it's never completely deserted in there it comes pretty close sometimes.

As a woman who goes to 30+ games a year I would like a lot more detail. I've never felt unsafe at a game and I hope that wasn't naive on my part.

Unfortunately, I don't think it sounds too far fetched for something like this to happen. For example, if two people entered a bathroom stall right before the end of the period, and then didn't exit the stall until after the following period began, then I could see how an incident might go unnoticed. It's very loud at games and people are focused on getting into a bathroom stall, doing their business and then leaving the bathroom. No one's going to go over an pry the stall door open because someone's taking too long. and if alcohol or drugs were involved then I would imagine it might be possible that there were no obvious audible or physical signs of struggle.

Anyhow, this is terrible and I hope that the perpetrator is arrested and prosecuted. No one should have to worry about something like this happening at a game.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Ugh, terrible situation. Public safety is way more important than anything else at entertainment venues. Not much else to say at this point.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013

Weird. Maybe it happened in one of the "family" restrooms? These are typically available for a single person to use and lock the door (although they're meant for people with kids). Perhaps the perp was able to trap the victim in one of those? Absolutely disgusting if true.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

The only place I can see this being possible are the bathrooms on the suite level. If you use them during the period they are often empty. Another option is there are private restrooms in some of the bigger suites as well.

Since the news report doesn't say anything at all we don't know anything. Of course our minds drift to some kind of CSI episode where a random creeper traps a random woman in a bathroom and rapes her. It's far more likely that two people who know each other go into a bathroom together and the man goes gets aggressive on the woman saying no. That's just as much rape as the any other scenario.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Stabbing?

What?

Yeah, there was article during the Blue Jackets series, Pens fan got stabbed in the head with a screw driver (I don't think they said by who but I assumed it was by a Jackets fan). Anyway the Pens fan refused medical attention until after the game to stay and finish watching the game.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
PPG does have 1 person handicap bathrooms. Only way I see that being possible. Pretty sure somebody would see somebody getting taken in against their will. Other bathrooms are usually packed at all times.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The only place I can see this being possible are the bathrooms on the suite level. If you use them during the period they are often empty. Another option is there are private restrooms in some of the bigger suites as well.

Since the news report doesn't say anything at all we don't know anything. Of course our minds drift to some kind of CSI episode where a random creeper traps a random woman in a bathroom and rapes her. It's far more likely that two people who know each other go into a bathroom together and the man goes gets aggressive on the woman saying no. That's just as much rape as the any other scenario.

Oh good call, I wasn't thinking about suite level bathrooms. Those are probably a lot more private.

If I had to wager a guess it would be a non-stranger assault. The vast majority are.

Yeah, there was article during the Blue Jackets series, Pens fan got stabbed in the head with a screw driver (I don't think they said by who but I assumed it was by a Jackets fan). Anyway the Pens fan refused medical attention until after the game to stay and finish watching the game.

That didn't happen at the arena, it happened at the auto body place the guy owned.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK

Wow, hadn't heard about that...glad it apparently wasn't too serious.

Finished watching the game before accepting medical attention? :yo: :handclap: :laugh:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Fan safety is a concern, but none of us know what actually happened. Further, this site has guidelines regarding claims and such. We'll revisit this topic if further details become known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad